News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Most Vague Destination (inspired by the Bus Forum)

Started by Busboy105, December 03, 2020, 03:12:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Busboy105

What is the most vague destination on NX buses?
The ones that I have thought of are:
14 and 97 (should have a qualifier. They go past the main interchange. It's much worse when the 14 gets the occasional short journey to Pine Square and it just says Chelmsley Wood.
24 (Quinton Road West is still in Woodgate Valley North why not just make Quinton Road West a qualifier)
16 (used to have the Green Lane qualifier in the past, don't know why it was removed same with the 97 and 97A when it went to Bluebell Drive).
101 (the weirdest one because to new people it looks like it terminates in the main part of Handsworth)
Feel free to add more of your own.

the trainbasher

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Busboy105

Quote from: the trainbasher on December 03, 2020, 03:23:15 PM
Anything with City Centre on the displays
I've got a better one.
Anything with Birmingham on it. Considering the City Centre is split into several interchanges, just having Birmingham is insanely stupid.

Kevin

The pedant in me wants to point out Circular routes, in terms of destination just displaying "circular"
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

BrumKev86

997E blinds say Pheasey Deers Leap yet the deers leap is across the Queslett Road in Kingstanding. Should say Pheasey Doe Bank instead.
Grew up in Great Barr, now living in North Somerset

Michael Bevan

Quote from: BrumKev86 on December 03, 2020, 04:29:56 PM
997E blinds say Pheasey Deers Leap yet the deers leap is across the Queslett Road in Kingstanding. Should say Pheasey Doe Bank instead.

Didn't help that blind used to say "via Stanhope Way" at one point...Which is the road it terminates on... 😂😂😂

WMT3000

One that springs to mind straight away is 32 "Lyndon". It's the name of an electoral ward in Solihull, a school and a pub but not an actual place. Admittedly the route does pass through a good portion of the electoral ward, runs past the pub and within about a 5 minute walk of the school but the destination is still a bit vague.

Quote from: Busboy105 on December 03, 2020, 03:25:12 PM
I've got a better one.
Anything with Birmingham on it. Considering the City Centre is split into several interchanges, just having Birmingham is insanely stupid.
This is map of Birmingham:
https://www.astonsu.com/pageassets/housing/astonstudenthomes/housingmap/bhamareamap/Birmingham-Area-Map-Large.jpg

Think that map makes it more vague than the City Centre being split into interchanges.
Though same could probably be said for other Cities as well.

X2 Solihull Station via Solihull was one that was very strange I think.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

ellspurs

Quote from: 2206 on December 03, 2020, 05:36:30 PM
This is map of Birmingham:
https://www.astonsu.com/pageassets/housing/astonstudenthomes/housingmap/bhamareamap/Birmingham-Area-Map-Large.jpg

Think the use of "Birmingham" makes it more vague than the City Centre being split into interchanges.

X2 Solihull Station via Solihull was one that was very strange I think.

You can see the notch where they went "we don't want Smith's Wood/Kingshurst to be a part of Birmingham" and cast it off to Solihull.

MasterPlan

87 Dudley, via Dudley Road is slightly amusing.

Still not convinced that Woodcock Hill is actually an area, as opposed to the hill on Woodcock Lane. Similar to the 24 Quinton Road West that someone mentioned.
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

Mike K

Quote from: Busboy105 on December 03, 2020, 03:12:18 PM
What is the most vague destination on NX buses?
The ones that I have thought of are:
14 and 97 (should have a qualifier. They go past the main interchange. It's much worse when the 14 gets the occasional short journey to Pine Square and it just says Chelmsley Wood.
24 (Quinton Road West is still in Woodgate Valley North why not just make Quinton Road West a qualifier)
16 (used to have the Green Lane qualifier in the past, don't know why it was removed same with the 97 and 97A when it went to Bluebell Drive).
101 (the weirdest one because to new people it looks like it terminates in the main part of Handsworth)
Feel free to add more of your own.

I'd argue that Quinton Road West is not a part of Woodgate Valley North. The Woodgate Valley North estate is the 1960s council development that covers Simmonds Drive, Highfield Lane, and the many cul-de-sacs off those two roads. Quinton Road West is separate from that and some of its housing dates back much earlier than the Woodgate Valley estates. It's a long and well known road in Quinton and a bus destination that is quite historic, dating back to the early days of the 10 route. I suspect a lot of people are more likely to recognise Quinton Road West than Woodgate Valley North in terms of where a bus is going.

CL

Re: 101

short workings to Grove Lane are now displayed as a short working to Handsworth! (at least it was the last time I saw a 101E)

Not entirely helpful to have it use the same wording as the final destination..

https://flic.kr/p/2incG2y
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

Jack

Quote from: Michael Bevan on December 03, 2020, 05:00:42 PM
Didn't help that blind used to say "via Stanhope Way" at one point...Which is the road it terminates on... 😂😂😂
And only served in one direction...

Has nobody mentioned the 76 displaying 'Via Kings Heath'? Only serves the very top of it.

Stu

Quote from: Jack on December 03, 2020, 06:38:07 PM

Has nobody mentioned the 76 displaying 'Via Kings Heath'? Only serves the very top of it.

The 76 serves what is considered the 'heart' of Kings Heath, namely that area surrounding All Saints Church. Also served by the 11A/C, 27, 34, 35 and 50. Doesn't seem very vague to me. Now when the 18 used to display 'via Kings Heath' yes that was a bit questionable!

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

MasterPlan

Quote from: Jack on December 03, 2020, 06:38:07 PM

It says via QE Hospital now doesn't it?
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk