News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Most Vague Destination (inspired by the Bus Forum)

Started by Busboy105, December 03, 2020, 03:12:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack

Quote from: Stu on December 03, 2020, 07:28:08 PM
The 76 serves what is considered the 'heart' of Kings Heath, namely that area surrounding All Saints Church. Also served by the 11A/C, 27, 34, 35 and 50. Doesn't seem very vague to me. Now when the 18 used to display 'via Kings Heath' yes that was a bit questionable!
Oh yes, the 18... thanks for that! Couldn't remember at first.

Busboy105

Quote from: 2206 on December 03, 2020, 05:36:30 PM
This is map of Birmingham:
https://www.astonsu.com/pageassets/housing/astonstudenthomes/housingmap/bhamareamap/Birmingham-Area-Map-Large.jpg

Think that map makes it more vague than the City Centre being split into interchanges.
Though same could probably be said for other Cities as well.

X2 Solihull Station via Solihull was one that was very strange I think.
Considering that it was via Sheldon before, it makes no sense why it was changed.

Busboy105

Quote from: CL on December 03, 2020, 06:29:31 PM
Re: 101

short workings to Grove Lane are now displayed as a short working to Handsworth! (at least it was the last time I saw a 101E)

Not entirely helpful to have it use the same wording as the final destination..

https://flic.kr/p/2incG2y
For me, the 101 should have either Handsworth, The Leveretts or just the Leveretts.

Stu

Quote from: Busboy105 on December 03, 2020, 03:25:12 PM
I've got a better one.
Anything with Birmingham on it. Considering the City Centre is split into several interchanges, just having Birmingham is insanely stupid.

Technically yes, I'd go with that. Any bus route that starts within Birmingham (eg 17 from Tile Cross, 50 from Druids Heath, etc etc) that displays 'Birmingham' as its destination could be seen as a 'bit vague'. OK, all us 'locals' know it means Birmingham 'city centre' but it might appear confusing for those from outside the region.

Here's an interesting one, namely the 3 to 'Yardley Wood'. While it does go through part of Yardley Wood, it terminates on Priory Road (Slade Lane) which is actually under the B28 Hall Green postcode. If the destination was 'Hall Green' that could be considered 'vague' equally.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

MasterPlan

Quote from: Stu on December 03, 2020, 08:32:52 PM
Technically yes, I'd go with that. Any bus route that starts within Birmingham (eg 17 from Tile Cross, 50 from Druids Heath, etc etc) that displays 'Birmingham' as its destination could be seen as a 'bit vague'. OK, all us 'locals' know it means Birmingham 'city centre' but it might appear confusing for those from outside the region

What do they do in London, Manchester, Liverpool etc? Is is the same there perhaps or do they change it up.
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

Busboy105

Quote from: MasterPlan on December 03, 2020, 09:06:09 PM
What do they do in London, Manchester, Liverpool etc? Is is the same there perhaps or do they change it up.
TFL services don't have City Centre on their services. They just display the place in Central London that they stop at.

Michael Bevan

Quote from: Stu on December 03, 2020, 07:28:08 PM
The 76 serves what is considered the 'heart' of Kings Heath, namely that area surrounding All Saints Church. Also served by the 11A/C, 27, 34, 35 and 50. Doesn't seem very vague to me. Now when the 18 used to display 'via Kings Heath' yes that was a bit questionable!

I remember a couple of years back when the Birmingham blind on the 907 used to say "via Pheasey" on the bottom... 😂😂😂

Tony

Quote from: MasterPlan on December 03, 2020, 09:06:09 PM

No, they don't display Birmingham in any of those

mesub

Back when the 22 was around (before it became the X22), it's destination was "Kitwell" when it actually terminated at the Woodgate Wood Lane terminus with the old 23 and the X64.
23 - Bartley Green
76 - Northfield
X20 - Birmingham Via Longbridge, Northfield & QE Hospital / University

Busboy105

Quote from: Tony on December 03, 2020, 10:00:40 PM
No, they don't display Birmingham in any of those
I think @MasterPlan meant in Liverpool, Manchester and London do buses that terminate in their respective City centres have the cities names like Birmingham's ones do?

Quote from: Busboy105 on December 03, 2020, 10:11:51 PM
I think @MasterPlan meant in Liverpool, Manchester and London do buses that terminate in their respective City centres have the cities names like Birmingham's ones do?
Some places will display City Centre, rather name of the city instead. Which is what claribels do on the 94 and looks like what Norwich do see the via point in the pic linked to below - N&N Hospital via City Centre/Rail Station via City  Centre.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/188567569@N06/50649942488/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/188567569@N06/50419585602/

Though never seen anyone confused by NX displaying "Birmingham".
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Lukeee

Quote from: Busboy105 on December 03, 2020, 08:04:27 PM
For me, the 101 should have either Handsworth, The Leveretts or just the Leveretts.

It should be handsworth the leveretts not just the leveretts as that is more clearer, personally the short workings should say grove lane rather than just handsworth

Pat

Quote from: Stu on December 03, 2020, 08:32:52 PM
Technically yes, I'd go with that. Any bus route that starts within Birmingham (eg 17 from Tile Cross, 50 from Druids Heath, etc etc) that displays 'Birmingham' as its destination could be seen as a 'bit vague'. OK, all us 'locals' know it means Birmingham 'city centre' but it might appear confusing for those from outside the region.
I'd argue that just displaying 'Birmingham' isn't vague.  For a first time/irregular user, it's kind of obvious that it's going to be going to the city centre.  If other destinations e.g 'Moor Street' were used, it could be confusing to those who aren't familiar with Birmingham and don't know where Moor Street is.   

Quote from: Pat on December 03, 2020, 10:47:07 PM
If other destinations e.g 'Moor Street' were used, it could be confusing to those who aren't familiar with Birmingham and don't know where Moor Street is.   
Yes I agree with that, thats what I was expecting could happen in regards to showing areas of City Centre instead.
Someone reads "X20 Priory Queensway, etc". Doesn't know where Priory Queensway, is and doesn't get on as they don't know its going to central Birmingham.

The only thing that might be a little clearer is showing something like
"Birmingham City Centre" or maybe "City Centre" instead.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Crosville

Quote from: Busboy105 on December 03, 2020, 10:11:51 PM

Most local routes will display just the terminus such as Dale Street, The Strand, Queen Square, or Liverpool One or in the case of this City Centre, Liverpool One
https://www.flickr.com/photos/cliveabrown/50617322436/

Most routes from out of town will have Liverpool followed underneath by actual terminus such as this https://www.flickr.com/photos/85000178@N05/46911311712/

Some do just display Liverpool, or just City Centre

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk