News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

November Changes.

Started by 2206, October 23, 2020, 07:05:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aSingh

Quote from: markcf83 on November 01, 2020, 02:22:11 PM
Stupid idea. How will staff working late get home?

On last journey on 87 to Oldbury (in garage at 1:52am) I see almost the same people every time, every time I do that duty numbering about 10 people from city and always have the same 2 persons get off at Oldbury from Smethwick High St. This was the same during the first lockdown. Cutting night services will have a bad impact on those hard working peoples lives.
Singh

MasterPlan

Not a route change exactly, but I've noticed that the platinums now have announcement reminders to wear face coverings which is pretty good.
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

Jack D

Is that at every stop that announcement?

MasterPlan

Quote from: Jack D on November 01, 2020, 05:25:48 PM
Is that at every stop that announcement?

Nope, every now and then. I don't know if they're timed for certain points or every 20 mins or whatever, but maybe someone else can answer that.

Pat

Quote from: PB2938 on November 01, 2020, 02:09:56 PM

My simple point is bars restaurants are shut a bus running as late as 1am should come in earlier. Majority of shops supermarkets close at 10pm
Shops and supermarkets do, hospitals don't. 

BK63 YWP

Quote from: Pat on November 01, 2020, 05:33:22 PM
Shops and supermarkets do, hospitals don't.

Don't forget night workers, distribution centres, police etc.

End of the day buses are used all day from the morning people, day time people and night people. We are a city and not the rural areas of the UK where services can stop earlier.
The Funny sounding Enviro 400

15 Wolverhampton to Merry Hill
15A Wolverhampton Merry Hill
16 Wolverhampton to Stourbridge

X10 Gornal Wood

aSingh

Quote from: MasterPlan on November 01, 2020, 05:28:11 PM
Nope, every now and then. I don't know if they're timed for certain points or every 20 mins or whatever, but maybe someone else can answer that.

For 87 I heard it 4 - 5 times from Dudley to City.
Singh

MasterPlan

Quote from: aSingh on November 01, 2020, 06:44:35 PM
For 87 I heard it 4 - 5 times from Dudley to City.

I heard it twice each way on the X21.

Stu

Following yesterdays lockdown announcement, it still doesn't seem very clear what is classed as an 'essential' or 'non-essential' business.

While restaurants, pubs & cafes (that don't offer delivery or takeaway) as well as leisure facilities are expected to be closed, the announcement does state that unless employees cannot work from home, "essential" businesses should remain open and there are no restrictions on employees commuting to work. And schools, colleges and universities will remain open.

So at this stage, I don't anticipate any major changes to bus scheduling to take place, unless bus operators react to lower passenger numbers outside of peak hours by reducing frequencies slightly.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Quote from: Stu on November 01, 2020, 07:41:57 PM
it still doesn't seem very clear what is classed as an 'essential' or 'non-essential' business.
So at this stage, I don't anticipate any major changes to bus scheduling to take place, unless bus operators react to lower passenger numbers outside of peak hours by reducing frequencies slightly.
There was a massive reduction in usage and services during the last lockdown.
And I would have expected the same this time. I would expect essential businesses would be similar to those that remained open last time?
I would have expected big cuts outside of times when school kids are travelling and cuts at weekend daytimes.

I found this list from last time:

Supermarkets and other food shops
Health shops
Pharmacies, including non-dispensing pharmacies, and medical services (such as dental surgeries, opticians and audiology clinics)
Newsagents, corner shops and off-licenses
Petrol stations
Veterinary surgeries and pet shops
Bicycle shops
Home and hardware shops
Banks and building societies
Pet shops
Storage and distribution facilities
Market stalls which offer essential retail, such as grocery and food
Petrol stations
Laundrettes and dry cleaners
Car garages and repair shops
Car rental services
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

bususer28

Quote from: Stu on November 01, 2020, 07:41:57 PM
Following yesterdays lockdown announcement, it still doesn't seem very clear what is classed as an 'essential' or 'non-essential' business.

While restaurants, pubs & cafes (that don't offer delivery or takeaway) as well as leisure facilities are expected to be closed, the announcement does state that unless employees cannot work from home, "essential" businesses should remain open and there are no restrictions on employees commuting to work. And schools, colleges and universities will remain open.

I agree. Personally outside of peak times I think they might go  back to the timetables that were introduced on the 4th July. e.g. A service that runs every 10 mins now will run every 12 or 15 mins during the day

Stu

Quote from: 2206 on November 01, 2020, 07:44:30 PM
There was a massive reduction in usage and services during the last lockdown.
And I would have expected the same this time. I would expect essential businesses would be similar to those that remained open last time?
I would have expected big cuts outside of times when school kids are travelling and cuts at weekend daytimes.

I found this list from last time:

Supermarkets and other food shops
Health shops
Pharmacies, including non-dispensing pharmacies, and medical services (such as dental surgeries, opticians and audiology clinics)
Newsagents, corner shops and off-licenses
Petrol stations
Veterinary surgeries and pet shops
Bicycle shops
Home and hardware shops
Banks and building societies
Pet shops
Storage and distribution facilities
Market stalls which offer essential retail, such as grocery and food
Petrol stations
Laundrettes and dry cleaners
Car garages and repair shops
Car rental services

Thanks for the list, but what I'm saying is that the current lockdown restrictions (coming into force from 5th November) are not as restrictive as those from earlier this year.

There are people that will still need to travel by bus to get to and from work.

Quote from: bususer28 on November 01, 2020, 08:19:55 PM
I agree. Personally outside of peak times I think they might go  back to the timetables that were introduced on the 4th July. e.g. A service that runs every 10 mins now will run every 12 or 15 mins during the day

I think it will be up to the discretion of the bus operators again. If passenger numbers fall drastically, then timetables will get adjusted.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Sh4318

IIRC, before the national lockdown (including closure of schools), there was a reduced timetable in place.

Not quite "every route is every 30 minutes or less", but a reduction from the usual levels of service, I wonder whether that level of service will be put into place
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

fleetline6477

Quote from: Stu on November 01, 2020, 08:29:11 PM
Thanks for the list, but what I'm saying is that the current lockdown restrictions (coming into force from 5th November) are not as restrictive as those from earlier this year.

There are people that will still need to travel by bus to get to and from work.

I think it will be up to the discretion of the bus operators again. If passenger numbers fall drastically, then timetables will get adjusted.

Bearing in mind this current lockdown is only expected to be 3 full weeks plus 2 half weeks either end and is not lockdown to the same extent as last time, school / colleges/ Uni especially. Operators need time to plan timetable adjustments, scheduling etc I can't see it being worth it. If I am correct operators are still being paid £1 per mile per journey which wasn't the case at start of March lockdown

Sh4318

Quote from: fleetline6477 on November 02, 2020, 05:13:41 PM
Bearing in mind this current lockdown is only expected to be 3 full weeks plus 2 half weeks either end and is not lockdown to the same extent as last time, school / colleges/ Uni especially. Operators need time to plan timetable adjustments, scheduling etc I can't see it being worth it. If I am correct operators are still being paid £1 per mile per journey which wasn't the case at start of March lockdown

From what @nxwestmidlands posted earlier on Twitter, services will run as normal:
https://twitter.com/nxwestmidlands/status/1323297073245134848?s=21
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk