News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Park Street closure + service changes from 5th July

Started by CL, July 01, 2020, 01:32:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John

Quote from: Jack on July 04, 2020, 10:48:46 AM
Oh how could i forget... The Square Peg... It's bad there when theres 3 Harborne buses parked up and the Sutton's fighting for the stop blocking all the 33/51 and limited stop services... It was better when the 82/87 was there as they didn't have a bus coming every 4 minutes...

Its the driver changes for the Harbornes that is the problem rather than the number of buses using the stop. As they can be parked there for at most 5 minutes. If the drivers didn't change there then they would be in and out quite quickly not causing so much of a problem as they do now. They wouldn't be bunched up waiting for drivers, so there would probably only be 1 23/24 at the stop at any one time, 2 at most

Yes and it doesn't help when the 110 lays over at the Square Peg either

markcf83

You've pretty much done the work for them ellspurs.  I have to agree with you.
Don't judge me until you've walked in my size ten shoes.

the trainbasher

If only it wasn't for the tram blocking Corpy & Uppr Bull St then we'd have enough space for the buses

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

MW

Quote from: ellspurs on July 04, 2020, 11:03:01 AM
Banish all the buses from using Carrs Lane/Lower Bull Street/that part of Corporation Street and make them stop on the outskirts like the East Birmingham buses have had to do for years now.

Have TfWM inspectors on hand to make buses move on if they're blocking stands, as bus timetables should be designed to not have any layover in the City Centre. If buses have to layover, they should move to one of the back Digbeth streets.

Make Moor Street Queensway bus-only, and force non-public transport to go round the ring road.

Put the bus stop thing back on there which they built and never used.

(You can see I would be absolutely terrible at this job)

What outskirts do East Birmingham buses terminate at? Outside Argos / Priory Queensway? That's not outskirts. That was part of the old loop for routes on my side of the city and were cut off (Bradford Street, Markets, Priory Qway, Corp Street, New Street, Markets & Bradford Street).

I do agree with the layover point you make. What some drivers would do is wait time at the Bullring stop (right after the Markets) and wait time at Park Street.

Quote from: MW on July 04, 2020, 01:59:13 PM
What outskirts do East Birmingham buses terminate at? Outside Argos / Priory Queensway?
They terminate outside B&M on Priory Queensway. Argos moved to another location about 6 or 7 years ago.
They got pushed out of the centre of the City Centre a little bit from where they used to terminate on Lower Bull Street. But I agree not realy outskirts.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

ellspurs

Priory Queensway felt like the outskirts when you were well used to getting on the bus on Lower Bull Street.

I remember that you either had to walk around the Virgin Megastore on Corporation Street, or walk down past Toys R Us and climb the urine-stinking staircase on Dale End when Martineau Square was closed.

MW

Quote from: 2206 on July 04, 2020, 02:15:02 PM
They terminate outside B&M on Priory Queensway. Argos moved to another location about 6 or 7 years ago.
They got pushed out of the centre of the City Centre a little bit from where they used to terminate on Lower Bull Street. But I agree not realy outskirts.

Is Argos not there anymore? Shows when I last went to that side of the city!

It's quite fitting anyway, all the undesirable Chelmsley Wood routes in one place, and next to an amazing retailer like B&M. The rest of society doesn't have to see them, and they've got their own B&M to play with.

ellspurs

Quote from: MW on July 04, 2020, 03:05:01 PM

It's quite fitting anyway, all the undesirable Chelmsley Wood routes in one place, and next to an amazing retailer like B&M. The rest of society doesn't have to see them, and they've got their own B&M to play with.

Gee, thanks.

(j/k)

Is Argos not there anymore?
Yes, Argos is by the Sainsburys on Union Street now.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Sh4318

Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Busboy105

Quote from: Sh4318 on July 04, 2020, 10:59:57 PM
It's a shame Dale End isn't utilised anymore
The stop got removed a few years ago. At least Albert Street has buses stopping on it again.

Jack

Quote from: Busboy105 on July 04, 2020, 11:49:34 PM
The stop got removed a few years ago. At least Albert Street has buses stopping on it again.
I'd happily put the 33/51 and the rest of the Lower Bull Street services back onto Dale End and Albert Street, instead of causing mayhem on Upper Bull Street.

If anything Corporation Street and Lower Bull Street (imo) should go to back to the original one way system, at least everything moved and hardly anything was a standstill.

the trainbasher

I'd move the Suttons down to Carrs Ln, 33/51 to the Square Peg with the X51/997, Harborne/Uni Routes on Priory and move the Pershore Rds to Lwr Bull St with the 4/6 having a Dale End stop and the other ex Carrs Ln routes taking the High St stops.

That way the Suttons aren't blocking the top of Corpy St, same with the Harbornes and it gives the Walsall Road some decent stands (plus the corner of High Street wouldnt be blocked by a couple of waiting 45/7s

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

MasterPlan

Quote from: the trainbasher on July 05, 2020, 01:25:56 AM
I'd move the Suttons down to Carrs Ln, 33/51 to the Square Peg with the X51/997, Harborne/Uni Routes on Priory and move the Pershore Rds to Lwr Bull St with the 4/6 having a Dale End stop and the other ex Carrs Ln routes taking the High St stops.

That way the Suttons aren't blocking the top of Corpy St, same with the Harbornes and it gives the Walsall Road some decent stands (plus the corner of High Street wouldnt be blocked by a couple of waiting 45/7s

So you'd have the 23/24 join the Uni routes? Are the 61/63 still there in this scenario? Because it can get quite chaotic as it is without adding the 23/24. Besides, they need to get to Colmore Row afterwards so I don't see how that would work.
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

monkeyjoe

Detecting some double standards if people ate permitted to make such comments.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk