News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Swift GO

Started by WyreForestShuttle, June 29, 2020, 07:57:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WyreForestShuttle

Despite the Covid-19 emergency the WMCA in conjunction with TfWM, the bus operators & the rail operators will be launching SWIFT GO.

SWIFT GO will work like an Oyster card it can be used on Bus, Rail & Metro within the West Midlands Network

When you using the network the card will automatically price capp the lowest cost of the journey made regardless of transport method.

The scheme has finally been signed off & will be announced in due course.

Stu

Quote from: WyreForestShuttle on June 29, 2020, 07:57:04 PM

SWIFT GO will work like an Oyster card it can be used on Bus, Rail & Metro within the West Midlands Network

I had an email invite today from West Midlands Network to review their proposed marketing material. It wasn't clear whether this would be valid across all transport modes though.

Good to see that TfWM are finally catching up with TfL's Oyster, this might be of benefit to some transport users, especially those who still don't have contactless bank cards.

I guess its only a matter of time now before cash payments on buses become a thing of the past...
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

WyreForestShuttle

Quote from: Stu on June 29, 2020, 08:12:26 PM
I had an email invite today from West Midlands Network to review their proposed marketing material. It wasn't clear whether this would be valid across all transport modes though.

Good to see that TfWM are finally catching up with TfL's Oyster, this might be of benefit to some transport users, especially those who still don't have contactless bank cards.

I guess its only a matter of time now before cash payments on buses become a thing of the past...
Excellent @Stu this is the final stage of the pre product launch.

Selected subscribers to West Midlands Network have been asked to take part in a survey that will finally decide the marketing launch of SWIFT GO.

The card will be a major step forward from the current Swift PAYG cards and Swift pre paid Daysavers allowing total flexibilty.

Quote from: WyreForestShuttle on June 29, 2020, 07:57:04 PM
Despite the Covid-19 emergency the WMCA in conjunction with TfWM, the bus operators & the rail operators will be launching SWIFT GO.

When you using the network the card will automatically price capp the lowest cost of the journey made regardless of transport method.

The scheme has finally been signed off & will be announced in due course.
How is it topped up?
And does it work with all forms of tickets e.g. will someone be able to get a Uni/NHS £1 Hop on the X20/X21/X22 with it, or the £1 concessionary pass pre 09:30 fare, etc or would these only be available when paying by cash?  As NXWM only allow contactless payment when purchasing adult daysavers?

Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

WyreForestShuttle

Quote from: 2206 on June 29, 2020, 08:46:24 PM
How is it topped up?
And does it work with all forms of tickets e.g. will someone be able to get a Uni/NHS £1 Hop on the X20/X21/X22 with it, or the £1 concessionary pass pre 09:30 fare, child fares, etc or would these only be available when paying by cash?  As NXWM only allow contactless payment when purchasing adult daysavers, would this be the same?

It can be topped up by direct direct when it falls below a set level, cash top up at a Travelshop, top up at a Rail Station or at Paypoint.

The idea is if you only use NXWM all day after 9.30 you pay £4 if you use Diamond all day in Sandwell on commercial routes it will deduct £2.85 if you use Train & Bus after 9.30 the Daytripper cost or Day Network price before etc.

Quote from: WyreForestShuttle on June 29, 2020, 09:07:53 PM

It can be topped up by direct direct when it falls below a set level, cash top up at a Travelshop, top up at a Rail Station or at Paypoint.

The idea is if you only use NXWM all day after 9.30 you pay £4 if you use Diamond all day in Sandwell on commercial routes it will deduct £2.85 if you use Train & Bus after 9.30 the Daytripper cost or Day Network price before etc.
Thankyou for the explanation.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Stu on June 29, 2020, 08:12:26 PM

I to have been taking part in some surveys re SWIFT GO.

I just wonder how come it has taken 17 years (Oyster launched in London in 2003) for the West Midlands to come up with something similar?
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

WyreForestShuttle

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on June 30, 2020, 06:41:24 PM
I to have been taking part in some surveys re SWIFT GO.

I just wonder how come it has taken 17 years (Oyster launched in London in 2003) for the West Midlands to come up with something similar?
Transport for West Midlands has only existed since 17th June 2016. Due to complexities of the previous rail franchise, the agreement of a private operator to run the Midland Metro and the fragmented nature of the bus operators until the creation of West Midlands Bus Alliance an Oyster style card would have not been possible until the devolved powers given to the metro mayor allowed transport coordination in a similar fashion to London.

j789

Quote from: 2206 on June 29, 2020, 08:46:24 PM
  As NXWM only allow contactless payment when purchasing adult daysavers?

That's not fully accurate with NXWM regarding contactless and only being able to use it to get a day ticket. You can pay for a single by just tapping your card and if that is the only journey you make that day it will only cost £2.40. I have done this and it showed this on my bank statement. Obviously if you made a second trip you'd be better off with a daysaver anyway whether card or cash so it limits it to £4. You may be right though about paying for cheaper singles though as they may have to be cash only.

Quote from: j789 on June 30, 2020, 09:17:51 PM
That's not fully accurate with NXWM regarding contactless and only being able to use it to get a day ticket. You can pay for a single by just tapping your card and if that is the only journey you make that day it will only cost £2.40. I have done this and it showed this on my bank statement. Obviously if you made a second trip you'd be better off with a daysaver anyway whether card or cash so it limits it to £4. You may be right though about paying for cheaper singles though as they may have to be cash only.
I checked the NX Bus site and it does say tap once and your charged single fare and tap again you are charged for the daysaver price is how it works, so my mistake.

I was sure I had seen people asking if they can pay by card for those particular cheaper tickets on the X20/X21/X22 in the past and they were told they can't. The NX Bus site does seem to confirm this as well, that a contactless tap is a set fare of £2.40.
https://nxbus.co.uk/west-midlands/contactless/
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

metrocity

Quote from: WyreForestShuttle on June 29, 2020, 08:22:27 PM
Excellent @Stu this is the final stage of the pre product launch.

Selected subscribers to West Midlands Network have been asked to take part in a survey that will finally decide the marketing launch of SWIFT GO.

The card will be a major step forward from the current Swift PAYG cards and Swift pre paid Daysavers allowing total flexibilty.
Major step forward unless you are an operator. The current plan to reimburse operators is not fit for purpose

WyreForestShuttle

Quote from: metrocity on June 30, 2020, 09:40:13 PM
Major step forward unless you are an operator. The current plan to reimburse operators is not fit for purpose
I am not aware of any operator criticism of the principle of Swift GO& of the reimbursement rates agreed by the West Midlands Bus Alliance  and TOC"S unless you are aware of something I have missed please enlighten us further and what factual evidence do you have to state it is not fit for purpose and if so why have the bus operators and train operating companies agreed to something that you believe is not fit for purpose? The existing Swift cards were used for more than 50 million journeys in 2019 SWIFT GO  is the natural next development.

JoNi

I googled Swiftgo and came up website for Britain's no. 1 motorhome hire!

Busboy105

Quote from: JoNi on July 01, 2020, 08:16:45 AM
I googled Swiftgo and came up website for Britain's no. 1 motorhome hire!
Same here  :D :D. They haven't announced it yet.

Steveminor

Swiftgo will act like the nx tap & go for single fares. I.e you will not be able to buy a short hop or multiple passengers as you do with pay as you go at present.
There are still some challenges with the system to overcome

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk