News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Spectra or Trident

Started by Andrew1991, July 15, 2012, 04:56:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What bus type do you prefer?

Optare Spectra
18 (66.7%)
Dennis/TransBus Trident 2
9 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Andrew1991

Which one do you prefer, personally I prefer the spectra. I know they break down more and they're older but I find them more comfortable to travel on. The tridents are all the same and rattle too much for my liking. 

PM

Tridents. fast, comfy, good interior and the zf ones sound good and are really quick

John

I was on 4013 yesterday on the 79 and thought that the suspension was very soft compared to a Trident. They are a lot more comfortable than a Trident, and the seats are a lot better too, even though they are laid out unusually. I do really like the Spectra's though and will miss them if they are withdrawn next year, only having 21, they are a lot more unusual than the Trident. Trident's rattle a lot, and the DAF engines in the spectra's sound a lot better. I did notice yesterday that a Trident has more power and accelerates faster than a Spectra.

I remember when they were at Central waiting to see if one turned up on the Bristol or Pershore Road and go on it rather than a Trident, President or Volvo B7 ALX400. A good ride for a Spectra was the old 139 (there was usually at least one on there every day), a good hour ride from Merry Hill, I would see if there was one on there on the way to Merry Hill and time it right to catch the Spectra on the way back.

So definitely a Spectra!

Ash

Quote from: Andrew1991 on July 15, 2012, 04:56:13 PM
Which one do you prefer, personally I prefer the spectra. I know they break down more and they're older but I find them more comfortable to travel on. The tridents are all the same and rattle too much for my liking. 

I think this is a difficult question to answer for alot of people as the spectra's have only been at 2 garages and normally stop on the same group of service while at the garages. Personally i prefer the tridents but only the older ones, and also i prefer Coventry tridents the most especially the refurbed ones they just seem in better condition all round little etching etc

PM

The Spectras have a gloomy interior with great swathes of grey plastic and no rear window-a SIN!!-the back is hideously ugly and hence why it sold in extremely small numbers compared to the trident and volvo b7tl.

SMK

Trident hands down.
Though I do prefer the legroom of the Spectra's upper deck compared to the Tridents (where I usually end up sitting sideways if I'm sitting on the seats on the left of the deck)
We'll get rid of your bus to Wolves and replace it with one to Walsall instead.......... Oh the joy of a Network Review. -_-

MW

Quote from: Peter123 on July 15, 2012, 06:22:31 PM
The Spectras have a gloomy interior with great swathes of grey plastic and no rear window-a SIN!!-the back is hideously ugly and hence why it sold in extremely small numbers compared to the trident and volvo b7tl.

And because it's an Optare.

Liberator9

I've never been on a TWM Spectra but I went on a First Eastern Counties(step entrance) one in Norfolk last week on the 1 and it was very good actually. The interior was in need of a bright relift but in terms of engine and rattling etc. it was fine. The suspension was a bit too hard but I prefer it to a trident for sure. Must recommend the Norfolk bus routes, very good rides and with a Wright Renown getting to run to top speed at some points....The Renown I must say was excellent although that is nothing to do with Tridents.

Ashley

Cant choose between either personally, Spectras have their hideous sides, poor reliability, bit more worse for wear, gloomy interior, but when they fly they fly (4002 and 4010 fastest ones), legroom is generous and the seats are comfy, mind you they are the standard from that era, still waiting to see 4016s upper deck refurb. Tridents are brilliant all round, but I augment other peoples views on rattling, i dont find all Tridents the same, look hard enough they all well most have some sort of unique quality, for example 4370

Justin Tyme

The Trident is a much more capable bus and so gets my vote.  However, the Spectra looks more stylish (the non-low floor versions were better still).  I rarely catch a Spectra now, but I took the opportunity to do a full Wolves - West Brom trip on one on the 79.  I didn't have high expectations but I was impressed - it was tidy and ran well.

mranon

4016 has just been retrimmed into same seat material, so it all looks nice and pristine. shame they didn't do downstairs. for me, got to be trident with zf every time.

BU07 LGO

Hmm hard one, but id have to say Tridents, my favourite bus type :)

Discodave

If the spectras had back window downstairs I reckon they would be on a par with the tridents but I am afraid the trident wins also are more reliable I am afraid suprised as Daf engines are very good my truck has one and it pulls great like the spectras do.

Roy

I think the people best qualified to answer this would be the management, maintenance staff and drivers at Park Lane, and every one of those that I have spoken to is counting down the days to when the hybrids are introduced and the Spectras (and the other Optares at Park Lane) are moved out for the last time.  To quote one driver on the 255 when he saw he was taking over a Spectra instead of the usual Trident - "oh no, not this heap of sh**".

It is also notable that Travel West Midlands, having bought over 100 Optares in 1998 and 1999, have since ignored Optare completely when buying new buses. 

As far as the Spectras are concerned, the first 22 were bought because they were the only low floor double deckers available at the time.  I think that 4001 was the first production low floor double deck bus built, but was not the first one in service.  TWM organised a noon launch of 4001 as the first low floor double decker in service in the country, only for ABUS of Bristol to put Optare Spectra S222 AJP into service at 0650 the same morning to scupper the launch.

However, after the first batch, the next 100 buses ordered were the Presidents, which suggests that the 22 Spectras did not come up to expectation.

Discodave

Quote from: Roy on July 16, 2012, 02:22:46 PM
I think the people best qualified to answer this would be the management, maintenance staff and drivers at Park Lane, and every one of those that I have spoken to is counting down the days to when the hybrids are introduced and the Spectras (and the other Optares at Park Lane) are moved out for the last time.  To quote one driver on the 255 when he saw he was taking over a Spectra instead of the usual Trident - "oh no, not this heap of sh**".

It is also notable that Travel West Midlands, having bought over 100 Optares in 1998 and 1999, have since ignored Optare completely when buying new buses. 

As far as the Spectras are concerned, the first 22 were bought because they were the only low floor double deckers available at the time.  I think that 4001 was the first production low floor double deck bus built, but was not the first one in service.  TWM organised a noon launch of 4001 as the first low floor double decker in service in the country, only for ABUS of Bristol to put Optare Spectra S222 AJP into service at 0650 the same morning to scupper the launch.

However, after the first batch, the next 100 buses ordered were the Presidents, which suggests that the 22 Spectras did not come up to expectation.
and in 1998 to 1999 wolves was also the old buses home as they had almost all the nasty nasty nasty exels and solos which were crap apart from a few routes

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk