News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Electric Buses

Started by Tony, February 01, 2020, 02:10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu

Quote from: Celestial Toymaker on October 24, 2023, 07:26:54 PMAG rarely gets NEW vehicles, and quite often if they do, they whisked away to BC, PB or YW in exchange for rubbish, these days tho i rather see new vehicles move to WB as most services i use are WB

If it is some small crumb of comfort, there are 300 brand new buses due to be delivered within the next two years, and all West Midlands garages will be getting their fair share.

The irony will be that BC will be the only garage not to get any!

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Sh4318

Quote from: BBS on October 20, 2023, 10:33:03 AMDoes the 50 really need to be upgraded again?
It's one of Europe's busiest routes and NXWM's most frequent service, so I'd say so
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Celestial Toymaker

Quote from: Tony on October 24, 2023, 08:21:20 PMIn Summary in the last 27 years Acocks Green has had:-

B10Bs new in 1996
Solos in 1999
Presidents in 2000
Geminis in 2003 (45xx)
Geminis in 2004 (46xx)
B7RLEs in 2007
Scanias in 2010
B7RLEs in 2012
E200MMCs in 2015

Not bad for a garage that very rarely gets new buses.
Solo's & Presidents were the worst of the worst,
i did also state that when they get new vehicles, they quickly disappear to YW /PB / BC

just saying thats all
3000 F300 XOF

DJ on smoothmixfm.co.uk

mesub

Quote from: Stu on October 24, 2023, 08:31:19 PMThe irony will be that BC will be the only garage not to get any!

I mean BC have had new buses nearly every year for a few years now (obviously not with the electrics or hydrogens for previously stated reasons), so I guess it balances it out.
23 - Bartley Green
76 - Northfield
X20 - Birmingham Via Longbridge, Northfield & QE Hospital / University

John Stait

P
Quote from: Celestial Toymaker on October 25, 2023, 03:14:01 PMSolo's & Presidents were the worst of the worst,
i did also state that when they get new vehicles, they quickly disappear to YW /PB / BC

just saying thats all
Payback for nicking YWs Lynxes and some Metros in 1994 in exchange for Fleetlines. Never forget 😂😂

BK63 YWP

With the deliveries of electric buses starting soon (Tony mentioned it in the Perry Barr thread) will any other garages barring BC and WB (if it is to close?) Getting charging facilities?
The Funny sounding Enviro 400

15 Wolverhampton to Merry Hill
15A Wolverhampton Merry Hill
16 Wolverhampton to Stourbridge

X10 Gornal Wood

Mike K

Quote from: Sh4318 on October 25, 2023, 12:42:26 AMIt's one of Europe's busiest routes and NXWM's most frequent service, so I'd say so
The 50 does seem one of the obvious candidates for new electric buses in the not too distant future.

If they were of the E400 City BYD variant that YW already has however, would capacity (at current frequency) be an issue? They only seat 65, three seats less than the Wright B5LH hybrids which were moved off the 61/63 due to overcrowding, and 8 less than a diesel Platinum. That's a loss of 96 seats per hour on the 50, which has a similar frequency to the combined 61/63, and handles significant passenger numbers. 

I believe the Wright Electroliners have a greater capacity. Perhaps these would be more suitable candidates. 

Jack6101

Quote from: Mike K on November 01, 2023, 11:02:18 PMThe 50 does seem one of the obvious candidates for new electric buses in the not too distant future.

If they were of the E400 City BYD variant that YW already has however, would capacity (at current frequency) be an issue? They only seat 65, three seats less than the Wright B5LH hybrids which were moved off the 61/63 due to overcrowding, and 8 less than a diesel Platinum. That's a loss of 96 seats per hour on the 50, which has a similar frequency to the combined 61/63, and handles significant passenger numbers.

I believe the Wright Electroliners have a greater capacity. Perhaps these would be more suitable candidates.
There is also the new E400 Ev (new look/model )that's was revealed today 
Local routes
74-Dudley -great bridge-west Brom-soho road-hockey-Birmingham
87-Dudley-tividale-oldbury-smethick-Dudley road , city hosp, Birmingham
126-Dudley-Birchley island-bearwood-Birmingham
14- Dudley - Oakham -whiteheath- blackheath- Quinton - helsowen
14A- Dudley - Oakham ( city road ) - blackheath - oldhill - Cradley Heath- quarry bank - merry hill

Stu

Quote from: Mike K on November 01, 2023, 11:02:18 PMThe 50 does seem one of the obvious candidates for new electric buses in the not too distant future.

Don't forget that Diamond have recently boosted capacity on the 50 by using double-decks.
My locals:

Gareth

Quote from: Jack6101 on November 02, 2023, 12:03:06 AMThere is also the new E400 Ev (new look/model )that's was revealed today
I'm hoping NX give this one a go! It looks good, higher capacity. Two wheelchair spaces as standard. And it hasn't got that awful headroom at the rear.

EK40

electroliners have the exact same layout and capacity as the streetdecks iirc so a total capacity of 100 to 96 (75-83 seated)

Steve3229vp

My guess is that Electrics going to YW will go on to the 2, 3 and 18

Mike K

Quote from: Gareth on November 02, 2023, 11:33:49 AMI'm hoping NX give this one a go! It looks good, higher capacity. Two wheelchair spaces as standard. And it hasn't got that awful headroom at the rear.
It does look decent on paper, a lot smarter looking than the fugly E400 City body too. I do think greater capacity will be needed on many of the 5 min frequency main corridors into Birmingham as and when they eventually are upgraded to electric buses, and that the BYD vehicles would struggle. 

BK63 YWP

QuoteMy guess is that Electrics going to YW will go on to the 2, 3 and 18
Would the first 170 electrics to enter service be enough to cover all Birmingham main corridor services ran by PB and YW? If YW and PB will be the only garages getting the electric buses first (not confirmed) 
The Funny sounding Enviro 400

15 Wolverhampton to Merry Hill
15A Wolverhampton Merry Hill
16 Wolverhampton to Stourbridge

X10 Gornal Wood

Stu

Quote from: BK63 YWP on November 02, 2023, 05:27:26 PMWould the first 170 electrics to enter service be enough to cover all Birmingham main corridor services ran by PB and YW? If YW and PB will be the only garages getting the electric buses first (not confirmed)
Probably not, but that's not the main intention.

As previously stated, the first aim will be to withdraw any remaining non-Euro6 vehicles, so I'd expect to see some E400s and E400MMCs heading off elsewhere first.

The second aim will be to start reducing the number of single decks by withdrawing Scania OmniLinks, which both YW and PB have far too many of!

I would expect incoming EVs to go onto the Sutton Lines at PB and the 6 and 50 at YW. At YW this would allow E400MMCs to replace OmniLinks currently being used on the 2, 3, and 76. Likewise at PB, where the excess number of OmniLinks can start to be dwindled down.

Don't forget the E400MMC Platinums still have a fair few years of life left in them. And equally until a buying decision is made on zero-emission single decks, I could see some of the E200s and Eclipse 2s being moved around to replace other OmniLinks elsewhere.

My locals:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk