News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

West Midlands Combined Authorty

Started by richardjones210368, January 23, 2020, 11:41:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richardjones210368

Quote from: don on February 04, 2020, 10:00:56 PM
Following all this chatter about WMCA and the Mayor, for those who are interested in who and what the WMCA is and aren't aware, (it's far more than just the Lord Mayor), this link may help.

https://www.wmca.org.uk/who-we-are/

Notice their address is the same one as WMPTE, so Tony must have been there today! 1978 - first motor show at NEC (massive WMPTE operation), papal visit around that time, first Metrobuses, last conductors - a busy time for WMPTE I guess.
Thank you @don for confirming Andy Street chairs the WMCA and therefore until the election commences to elect a new Mayor all statements from the Chair of the WMCA should be under the WMCA I am sure you agree @Stu ?

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: richardjones210368 on February 04, 2020, 11:02:56 PM
@andy4wm has been Mr Streets hashtag since becoming Mayor in 2017. It is Andy Street's Plan as he is the leader of the WMCA

Yes and the topic is called Andy Street's Plan and you have admitted it is his plan just, most media items are calling it Andy Streets Plan.

No where I can see has he given any credit to the WMCA and I doubt whether most people would realise that he is leader of the WMCA, so they will think its Andy's plan anyway.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

winston

Quote from: richardjones210368 on February 04, 2020, 10:36:44 PM
@Winston as there is no such Andy Street Plan but it is actually a WMCA plan should this thread be not merged with the West Midlands Combined Authority as we have two different threads on speeches and statements from Andy Street when until the start of the election all statements and speeches given by Mr Street are from his role as Mayor and leader of the WMCA.There is no such Andy Street Plan do we need two threads on Andy Street & the WMCA?

@richardjones210368 - topics merged as suggested.

Tbh, I'm not fussed who says / promises what, I just want to see some radical action instead of just woffle & tinkering.

richardjones210368

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on February 04, 2020, 11:09:24 PM
Yes and the topic is called Andy Street's Plan and you have admitted it is his plan just, most media items are calling it Andy Streets Plan.

No where I can see has he given any credit to the WMCA and I doubt whether most people would realise that he is leader of the WMCA, so they will think its Andy's plan anyway.
Why would he credit the WMCA when he chairs it @Stuharris 6360 ? It is the Chair of the WMCAs plan and I fully agree it is Andy Streets as Chair of the WMCA visionary plan for the  West Midlands @Stuharris 6360 I am sure you will agree we are lucky to have such a man of vision that Chairs the WMCA

richardjones210368

Quote from: Winston on February 04, 2020, 11:12:12 PM
@richardjones210368 - topics merged as suggested.

Tbh, I'm not fussed who says / promises what, I just want to see some radical action instead of just woffle & tinkering.
Yes I fully agree @Winston

richardjones210368

Quote from: richie on February 04, 2020, 09:58:41 PM
As the supposed second city our transport public or otherwise is seriously flawed we are eclipsed by most Cities in the country let alone London and Manchester.

We need a concise tram network
We need bus priority to elliviate the strain
We need snow hill lines upgraded, electrified and given the TPH other lines have at off peak times.
We need a clean air zone that prices you out of your car and a public transport solution to assist it.
We need an expansive park and ride network.

The second city hasn't got the second best transport solution.

I bet you can travel 5 miles across central London quicker, easier and with less stress than you can the same in Brum.

The plan is ambitious but its the right thing to do and as people and industry switch to reduce their impact on the environment then I feel this puts these plan even closer to realisation.

Who cares who's came is on the rubber stamp? Embrace change!
Well argued @richie

richardjones210368

Quote from: Stu on February 04, 2020, 07:37:55 PM
Yes, we are all fully aware that Mr Street is the democratically elected Mayor of the West Midlands, and for the record I did actually vote for him, albeit as my second choice.

I am not in any way proposing censorship against opinions I am not in agreement with, I am very much in support of the right to freedom of speech and freedom of expression.

You are entitled to your opinion of Mr Street, and I am entitled to my own, as does anyone else.

I have asked you to detail these 'stunning achievements' that Mr Street has boasted of in this local newpaper, can you please list them for me? Because it seems to me that much of what Mr Street takes credit for is what has been in the planning for years, and would have happened regardless of whether he or Sion Simon won the mayoral election - for example, the Midland Metro tram extensions, the Sprint buses, and the reopening of Camp Hill line rail stations.

If you don't like people disagreeing with your opinions, that's fine, but debate the opinion, not the person.

I obviously don't enjoy the same kind of relationship that you have with Mr Street, so you'll have to forgive me for not holding him in as high a regard as you do.

Generally I keep my political opinions away from this forum, as it is not the place to express them, this is after all the 'West Midlands Buses In Photographs' forum. That's all I'm saying.

"Generally I keep my political opinions away from this forum, as it is not the place to express them, this is after all the 'West Midlands Buses In Photographs' forum. That's all I'm saying".

I have clearly stated on this forum @Stu I am not a member of The Conservative Party or a member of any other political party or organisation I therefore am not expressing any political views but merely supporting someone I have known for over 20 years in his role of overseeing the West Midlands Bus Network.

PinkBus

Quote from: richardjones210368 on February 04, 2020, 12:38:44 PM
Sandwell residents will be delighted to receive today a FREE copy of Sandwell Champions tabloid newspaper delivered direct to their letterboxes which features 12 excellent photos of Andy Street engaging with the good people of Blackheath, Great Bridge, Friar Park, Oldbury, Tipton, Tividale, Warley, Wednesbury and West Bromwich. The newspaper outlines all Mr Streets stunning achievements for Sandwell  residents and includes an excellent interview with The Prime Minister on what he plans for the residents of Blackheath. I am personally very proud of a whole page entitled "Andy Street - getting to grips with the transport challenge" which outlines the stunning achievements Mr Street had made for bus use in Sandwell & includes an actual picture of him on a bus together with him inspecting brand new 82 & 87s.  I am sure you join me in thanking Jay Singh Sohall for coordinating the free newspaper for the benefit of all Sandwell Residents & Sandwell Bus Users.

I live in Sandwell and haven't received one through my door.

Perhaps Mr Street would consider coming to Smethwick which before you say anything is not Warley and asking us what we would like from our bus services.
Watching the 24's go driving by...

don

The thing is @richardjones210368 , most people realise that Andy Street is only the chair of the Authority - anyone who suggests that everything WMCA does is Andy Street is conflating things for political ends - in fact it's the sort of thing people with mental illness do, but in this instance it's a deliberate attempt to deceive - what else would you describe taking credit for new platinum buses on the 82 and 87 in publicity when he had absolutely nothing to do with it. I just thing it's wanton deception, scraping the barrel and how can you you trust such an individual?

For trainspotters old enough to remember, the WMCA reminds me of the Ian Allan 'Combined' Volume - a fatter and far more expensive version of pre-existing items. The problem with WMCA is it's funded by Council Tax payers - in fact they will be charging a precept in the Council Tax, which the Authority (or in @richardjones210368 terminology, Andy Street as the rest don't exist) will have to justify to electors. Of course, the Mayor is no more WMCA than the Police Commissioner is the Police Authority, or the Chief Constable is the Police Force.

As my old nan would say, 'put that in your pipe and smoke it' 😁😂😂
Bustimes.org - armchair bus chasing at its best
wmbusphotos.com - armchair bus spotting and news at its best.

Current 'special passenger validation' permit held.

richardjones210368

I have asked you to detail these 'stunning achievements' that Mr Street has boasted of in this local newpaper, can you please list them for me? Because it seems to me that much of what Mr Street takes credit for is what has been in the planning for years, and would have happened regardless of whether he or Sion Simon won the mayoral election - for example, the Midland Metro tram extensions, the Sprint buses, and the reopening of Camp Hill line rail stations.

In response @Stu
1. Forced WMR to cancel thier season ticket increases
2. Has worked with WMT and Diamond Bus to freeze cash bus fares a third year in a row
3. Prorected Ring & Ride after the operator collapsed
4. Bought the Metro back under local operation.
5. Improve the 126 by remodeling Birchley Crossings
6. Introduced Integrated Swift Tickeing
7. Worked in partnership with Rotala for cleaner, smarter buses.
8. Worked with operators to extend Diamond Bus pre 09.30 £1 concessionary ticket to all operators.
9. Introduced intergrated timetables and ticketing to key West Midlands Bus routes.
10. Personally obtained funding as Chair of the LEP for the introduction of the Sprint network for the West Midands.

richardjones210368

Quote from: don on February 04, 2020, 11:56:36 PM
The thing is @richardjones210368 , most people realise that Andy Street is only the chair of the Authority - anyone who suggests that everything WMCA does is Andy Street is conflating things for political ends - in fact it's the sort of thing people with mental illness do, but in this instance it's a deliberate attempt to deceive - what else would you describe taking credit for new platinum buses on the 82 and 87 in publicity when he had absolutely nothing to do with it. I just thing it's wanton deception, scraping the barrel and how can you you trust such an individual?

For trainspotters old enough to remember, the WMCA reminds me of the Ian Allan 'Combined' Volume - a fatter and far more expensive version of pre-existing items. The problem with WMCA is it's funded by Council Tax payers - in fact they will be charging a precept in the Council Tax, which the Authority (or in @richardjones210368 terminology, Andy Street as the rest don't exist) will have to justify to electors. Of course, the Mayor is no more WMCA than the Police Commissioner is the Police Authority, or the Chief Constable is the Police Force.

As my old nan would say, 'put that in your pipe and smoke it' 😁😂😂
As I posted earlier @don  I am not aware Mr Street was not taking credit for Platinum but was inspecting the 82 & 87 as Chair of the WMCA and a levy has been placed on council tax payers since the abolition of the WMCC in1986 without it there would be no funding for free train services to concessionarys, reduced peak time fares for young people, socially necessary services where operators are unable to provide commercial services and the support of Ring & Ride one of the functions of the WMCA is to continue these services in the most sustainable way possible to the best value to council tax payers or do you want these services provided over and above the local authorities legal obligations abolished?

richardjones210368

Quote from: PinkBus on February 04, 2020, 11:48:27 PM
I live in Sandwell and haven't received one through my door.

Perhaps Mr Street would consider coming to Smethwick which before you say anything is not Warley and asking us what we would like from our bus services.
Sandwell Champions is being distributed by Royal Mail to support the local postal service and I have posted the time and date of the next Ask Andy event open to all.

richardjones210368

Quote from: Tony on February 04, 2020, 09:16:22 PM
Look where I've been today!

The same building I started work at  coming up to 42 years ago
Mind you @Tony I was born in the Maternity Hospital which closed in 1969 that adjoined part of  the site that now occupies the building you stated work in 42 years,  51 years ago isnt life full of coincidences.

PinkBus

Quote from: richardjones210368 on February 05, 2020, 12:11:55 AM
Sandwell Champions is being distributed by Royal Mail to support the local postal service and I have posted the time and date of the next Ask Andy event open to all.

That really doesn't answer my questions though.

You stated that Sandwell households received Sandwell Champions yesterday, I live in Smethwick which is part of Sandwell and we didn't receive one via our postman.

Also you have, I agree published the next Ask Andy meeting on the forum and I'm sure it will be a very interesting and informative meeting, why was it when Mr Street was out and about in Sandwell, he couldn't find the time to speak to residents of my town when he spent time in nearly all the other parts of the borough?

I know we have got the platinum 87 & 82 which has been great, but I'm sure a lot of my fellow bus using neighbours would have appreciated a chance to chat to the mayor about our transport links.
Watching the 24's go driving by...

don

Quote from: richardjones210368
As I posted earlier @dona levy has been placed on council tax payers since the abolition of the WMCC in1986 without it there would be no funding for free train services to concessionarys, reduced peak time fares for young people, socially necessary services where operators are unable to provide commercial services and the support of Ring & Ride one of the functions of the WMCA is to continue these services in the most sustainable way possible to the best value to council tax payers or do you want these services provided over and above the local authorities legal obligations abolished?

Whether some of these are good value is a moot point but what is definitely incorrect is that West Midlands Council Taxpayers have had a precept to pay for the mayor and his office/entourage etc etc since 1986. He comes at a cost and whether that is providing value for money is again a moot point - i do not expect to be seeing any objective costings, although I wouldn't put it past him trying to claim the entire benefit for HS2 phase 1, despite the fact that was never going to be dropped anyway (already under construction and far too much money already spent 😉)

https://www.wmca.org.uk/what-we-do/budget-spending/
Bustimes.org - armchair bus chasing at its best
wmbusphotos.com - armchair bus spotting and news at its best.

Current 'special passenger validation' permit held.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk