News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Busiest/Most Profitable Routes

Started by Pat, December 04, 2019, 04:36:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

A full bus doesn't necessarily mean a profitable route. The old 901 between Lichfield and Birmingham was full loads every bus in the peak, but because it was nearly all direct debit passes making the whole journey it wasn't profitable and got chopped

richardjones210368

Quote from: Tony on December 05, 2019, 03:41:51 PM
A full bus doesn't necessarily mean a profitable route. The old 901 between Lichfield and Birmingham was full loads every bus in the peak, but because it was nearly all direct debit passes making the whole journey it wasn't profitable and got chopped
I am sure West Midlands Travel did learn much valuable data from that for accountants like me hence the sensible Daysaver Pluss on the Stafford routes whilst allowing other regular pass holders what is a perk of cross boundary travel given the economics of scale.

sonic84

Quote from: Tony on December 05, 2019, 03:41:51 PM

This is really interesting actually how it appears that the failure of this route wasn't the lack of passengers but more that the route didn't have a rotation of passengers making shorter journeys as well as those doing the full route.

Quote from: Winston on December 05, 2019, 10:05:27 AM
When it's a tendered route  :o
I think its meant to be a joke @Winston. The 10H is usually virtually empty and only carries a tiny number of people.
Only runs hourly and most people in the areas it serves are served by much more frequent routes.
Quote from: Trident 4194 on December 05, 2019, 07:27:52 AM
Same driver on that day in day out. What a good life he's having
It was a different driver today, to the one who was on there yesterday. Think the bus was 6882 today.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

richardjones210368

Quote from: 2206 on December 05, 2019, 06:58:48 PM
I think its meant to be a joke @Winston. The 10H is usually virtually empty and only carries a tiny number of people.
Only runs hourly and most people in the areas it serves are served by much more frequent routes. It was a different driver today, to the one who was on there yesterday. Think the bus was 6882 today.
The gentleman who is on the forum and attended the meeting in October with me will know after my comments about the protests for the Dudley Bus Review which he didnt take too well from his posts today  I went on to add using it regulary that the 654/10H was from its patronage was The Bus of Death.............

winston

Only runs hourly and most people in the areas it serves are served by much more frequent routes. It was a different driver today, to the one who was on there yesterday. Think the bus was 6882 today.

@2206 - as always, thanks for pointing out the obvious - had you considered my response was being sarcastic?

Steveminor

Quote from: sonic84 on December 05, 2019, 06:44:45 PM
This is really interesting actually how it appears that the failure of this route wasn't the lack of passengers but more that the route didn't have a rotation of passengers making shorter journeys as well as those doing the full route.

That was one of petes travels success secrets. Take a long route & just operate on.the busiest section

Tony

Quote from: Steveminor on December 05, 2019, 08:05:50 PM
That was one of petes travels success secrets. Take a long route & just operate on.the busiest section

Bit difficult with the 901 where the bus was full of people all the way from Lichfield to Birmingham

Jack

The 4/4H/4M are high up the most busiest in my opinion, especially the 4M..
I'd say the (4)5(1) is another that is fairly profitable, even though it did get downgraded this year from E400's to B7TL's... would be nice if they actually branded the 47** E400's because they suit the route and I wouldn't mind hearing them getting thrash along the Newton Road  :P

Busboy105

Don't think NX would want to keep it for much longer. They'll probably be happy to just bin it off. Major changes are needed for the number 10 routes as they're dying a slow and kinda painful death.

Tony

Quote from: Busboy105 on December 05, 2019, 09:42:26 PM
Don't think NX would want to keep it for much longer. They'll probably be happy to just bin it off. Major changes are needed for the number 10 routes as they're dying a slow and kinda painful death.

Why would they bid for a tender they wanted to immediately bin?

richardjones210368

Quote from: Steveminor on December 05, 2019, 08:05:50 PM
Much as I love the last of the Petes Travel Darts that havent gone up in flames with Diamond would you really call Petes Travel a sucess as a business model. When I used to obtain the accounts from Companies House and look how they were offsetting the costs of all the new Darts against creditors due after 1 year instead of writing.down the capital allowances you thought hang on... They only survived as long as they did due to constant profit and loss adjustments and a write down of net residue income how can a company that had to be restructured as Peoples Express then Probus be judged as a sucess to be frank I really wonder what would have ultimatly happened to thier creditors if Go Ahead hasnt folded it into Diamond & written it off on the Balance Sheet and my word did Go Ahead take a hit

richardjones210368

Quote from: Tony on December 05, 2019, 09:51:44 PM
Why would they bid for a tender they wanted to immediately bin?
From what I understand NXWM put a strong business case to TfWM for the 54/A & 10 & the tender was awarded accordingly I would be very surprised if NXWM hadnt got it figures spot on this why on earth would they want to return the tender?

sonic84

Quote from: MasterPlan on December 05, 2019, 07:19:34 AM
Gotta' be the 10H surely.

Out of interest does anyone know what the initial reasoning was diverting the igo 10H to the hospital? Was it when the 99 was withdrawn and replaced by the 244, or to do with the retendering of the 10S

I only ask I'm surprised that the QE to City section of the route is the bit which remains considering this section is relatively new, and the city to QE is served by much more regularly direct routes.

richardjones210368

Quote from: sonic84 on December 06, 2019, 11:22:27 AM
Out of interest does anyone know what the initial reasoning was diverting the igo 10H to the hospital? Was it when the 99 was withdrawn and replaced by the 244, or to do with the retendering of the 10S

I only ask I'm surprised that the QE to City section of the route is the bit which remains considering this section is relatively new, and the city to QE is served by much more regularly direct routes.

To Replace Centro Tender 647

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk