News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Blackheath Bus Services

Started by Pat, November 30, 2019, 06:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richardjones210368

@Dom One of my roles was to oversee the vehicle maintenance schedules when I worked at Midland Red West so I am pretty sure I know what I am talking about.

don

Quote from: richardjones210368 on January 19, 2020, 12:16:45 PM
"Are you a qualified engineer aswell now?
"
@don One of my roles was to oversee the vehicle maintenance schedules when I worked at Midland Red West so I am pretty sure I know what I am talking about.
@richardjones210368, that post was made by @Dom not me. Easy mistake to make and an apology would be accepted  ;)

Ps if you're worried about maintenance you could report the matter to the TC. However if it's just rattling from an E200 cab door (and farebox) I suspect it's not a reportable issue. Wait till those Diamond Mellors are 8 yrs old like NXWM 731-733!
Bustimes.org - armchair bus chasing at its best
wmbusphotos.com - armchair bus spotting and news at its best.

Current 'special passenger validation' permit held.

metrocity

Quote from: don on January 19, 2020, 04:53:00 PM
@richardjones210368, that post was made by @Dom not me. Easy mistake to make and an apology would be accepted  ;)

Ps if you're worried about maintenance you could report the matter to the TC. However if it's just rattling from an E200 cab door (and farebox) I suspect it's not a reportable issue. Wait till those Diamond Mellors are 8 yrs old like NXWM 731-733!

I would be very surprised if any operator including Diamond wasn't working on the basis that Mellors aren't life expired by the time they are 8 years old and depreciating them accordingly

Gareth

An E200 is expected to have a life of around 15 years. They are not fully depreciated after 5years.

richardjones210368

Quote from: don on January 19, 2020, 04:53:00 PM

Sorry about that @don please accept my fullest apologies no offense intended a genuine mistake I am more than happy to apologise for and have no fear the receptionist at the traffic commissioners by my office says I deserve a tesco style loyalty card for the time I spend in there and as for the Mellors the Merc 609s and 709s had an expected life of 8 years I drove on relief at Midland Red West just remind how long they actually lasted?

richardjones210368

Quote from: Gareth on January 19, 2020, 07:10:34 PM
An E200 is expected to have a life of around 15 years. They are not fully depreciated after 5years.
Yes and no it depends what accountancy method is used some AIM assets are depreciated within 12 months on paper under FRS1 others are depreciated over a longer life expectancy it is up to the operator to chose the method adopted on its CT600 frankly I would write the batch off for scrap on the Balance Sheet and claim a loss to be carried forward against ACT to get rid of the wreaks.

richardjones210368

Quote from: metrocity on January 19, 2020, 04:58:04 PM
I would be very surprised if any operator including Diamond wasn't working on the basis that Mellors aren't life expired by the time they are 8 years old and depreciating them accordingly
Not sure where that would have left the Merc 609 and 709s I drove for Midland Red West!

metrocity

Quote from: richardjones210368 on January 19, 2020, 07:23:20 PM
Not sure where that would have left the Merc 608 and 708s I drove for Midland Red West!
I suspect they were far cheaper than a Mellor !!

richardjones210368

Quote from: metrocity on January 19, 2020, 07:47:46 PM
I suspect they were far cheaper than a Mellor !!
Great little  buses I loved them especially thrashing one up Turners Hill on a Kiddy 209 when doing a MRW relief on a Sunday afternoon I am sure there was a gear somewhere for the Rowley Hills I never found it usually had a trail of black smoke emitting but if you gross up the asset value I reckon in real terms there wouldn't be that much difference from a Mellor to a Beaver to be honest.

metrocity

Quote from: richardjones210368 on January 19, 2020, 07:58:49 PM
Great little  buses I loved them especially thrashing one up Turners Hill on a Kiddy 209 when doing a MRW relief on a Sunday afternoon I am sure there was a gear somewhere for the Rowley Hills I never found it usually had a trail of black smoke emitting but if you gross up the asset value I reckon in real terms there wouldn't be that much difference from a Mellor to a Beaver to be honest.
I'm not sure how much a Beaver used to cost but I'm led to believe about £115K for a Mellor? Not much cheaper than an SWB E200

danny

Might be an unpopular opinion but does anyone else find the mellor a rough ride... Was on one the other day on the 74A and sat over the rear wheels.... Needless to say my back wasn't impressed.
Danny :) proud swift, mango and oyster user...

My locals 12, 12A, 13, 22, 126, and the sixes every weekend :)

richardjones210368

Quote from: metrocity on January 19, 2020, 08:06:07 PM
I'm not sure how much a Beaver used to cost but I'm led to believe about £115K for a Mellor? Not much cheaper than an SWB E200
Yes that's about right for a Mellor I think in 1996 the Beavers were about £18000 each so if you uprate it by RPI it's not far off today's Mellors cost only by about £19000 I think I am happy to be corrected if I am wrong the difference is the fuel consumption between a Mellor & E200.

richardjones210368

Quote from: danny on January 19, 2020, 08:18:24 PM
Might be an unpopular opinion but does anyone else find the mellor a rough ride... Was on one the other day on the 74A and sat over the rear wheels.... Needless to say my back wasn't impressed.
Love them on the 231 I am 6ft 1ins & built like a navvy because of swimming and have no probs with them enjoying the road holding abilities much prefer them to a short E200 which are horrid little buses

richardjones210368

Re: VERY Late running services

« Reply #2673 on: Today at 01:17:19 AM »

QuoteModify

Quote from: OH25 on Yesterday at 11:25:08 PM

Around 22:50 there was two X8's by Quinton Stag both heading for Wolverhampton

That is not a surprise is it on such a rottern totally incomptent bus route run by on operator not fit for purpose I once had the last X8 on Sunday due at 23.57 at The Stag 90mins late yes 90mins late after coming out of The Stag Sizzler how anyone can defend the X8 on this forum is beyond me! well @Tony and other WN staff what's your latest excuse for this observation it looks to me total incompetence from your so called bus company? Ha Ha bus company I do like a good laugh- How much longer must Blackheath put up with this total incompetence for the good people of Blackheath it's no laughing matter.perhaps the answer is to put a clapped out old Trident on the route in a stupid forgotten livery no one bothers about that will do nicely wont it well thats the answer from West Midlands Travel isnt it?

Stu

Quote from: richardjones210368 on January 20, 2020, 01:28:40 AM
How much longer must Blackheath put up with this total incompetence for the good people of Blackheath it's no laughing matter.perhaps the answer is to put a clapped out old Trident on the route in a stupid forgotten livery no one bothers about that will do nicely wont it well thats the answer from West Midlands Travel isnt it?

With all your knowledge and experience, I think you'd be very successful if you were to start your own bus company up.

The "Blackheath Bus Company" would no doubt serve the people of Blackheath very well; you could compete against the 'not fit for purpose' NX Bus, as everyone would be eager to use your services that are always on time and never delayed.

Come on please, make it happen in 2020, then maybe you can give your ranting against 'West Midlands Travel' a rest for a while...

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk