News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Blackheath Bus Services

Started by Pat, November 30, 2019, 06:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winston

Quote from: don on January 17, 2020, 06:29:21 PM
To be honest one could make comments on any of these 'uprated spec' buses - I travelled on an Arriva Sapphire bus that was not only uncomfortable, it was filthy inside, full of litter and was driven by a driver who seemed to think he was driving a private car, throwing the passengers around so much.

Stagecoach SE has introduced an inter urban service which sometimes runs from North Greewich to Canterbury (M2) - it is sometimes run by high spec coaches but equally you might find yourself on a relatively old E400 (Scania or ADL). This is run to an extent in competition with SE trains operated by class 395 or 375 or Kings Ferry's superb coaches. It appears a bit of a half hearted effort!!

I caught a Stagecoach Gold bus from Paignton to Torquay once and the high seats do make them clostrophobic in some conditions - but who gave them permission to have the Prince of Wales feathers logo embossed in the seat headrest backs? I thought they were maybe getting a bit above their station.

The Bournemouth to Salisbury Morebus high spec Go Ahead buses even have tables upstairs.

So I don't see why NXWM is singled out on this.

The seats will never ever suit all, it's down to personal preference, it was always depend on a persons height, body shape, posture,  weight, length of journey etc

richardjones210368

Quote from: don on January 17, 2020, 06:29:21 PM
To be honest one could make comments on any of these 'uprated spec' buses - I travelled on an Arriva Sapphire bus that was not only uncomfortable, it was filthy inside, full of litter and was driven by a driver who seemed to think he was driving a private car, throwing the passengers around so much.

Stagecoach SE has introduced an inter urban service which sometimes runs from North Greewich to Canterbury (M2) - it is sometimes run by high spec coaches but equally you might find yourself on a relatively old E400 (Scania or ADL). This is run to an extent in competition with SE trains operated by class 395 or 375 or Kings Ferry's superb coaches. It appears a bit of a half hearted effort!!

I caught a Stagecoach Gold bus from Paignton to Torquay once and the high seats do make them clostrophobic in some conditions - but who gave them permission to have the Prince of Wales feathers logo embossed in the seat headrest backs? I thought they were maybe getting a bit above their station.

The Bournemouth to Salisbury Morebus high spec Go Ahead buses even have tables upstairs.

So I don't see why NXWM is singled out on this.
As my mum and dad used to live in Torquay I asked the Paignton  Operations Manager just that not long after they took over the X80 from First and the offical line was they are not the Prince of Wales feathers but are Fleur De Leys...........................

don

Quote from: richardjones210368 on January 17, 2020, 05:02:16 PM
Having worked in Whitehall I have never seen so much money spent on a pathetic public service I used daily late buses overcrowded buses buses broken down massive fare evision stabbings and muggings and more fires than diamond constantly hardly a model to suggest as such after using it for 5 years it is frankly laughable. I personally would always use the Paris model of RAPT .The London.version is a joke.

Everyone is entitled to a view but this is frankly ill informed and silly. Londoners rely on the public transport system and it is extremely reliable and well used (and generally well presented). I would be furious if someone tried to impose a different system when the existing one provides such a good service.

Ive used several elements of it daily for a number of years - apart from when road works affects things or there's a tram or rail incident, which is about every three weeks or so, it runs like clockwork. In comparison I'm about to claim South Eastern delay repay for over 2 hrs on one journey on S Eastern high speed - the one I eventually got on had 100+ people standing in my carriage - at 125 mph!!
Bustimes.org - armchair bus chasing at its best
wmbusphotos.com - armchair bus spotting and news at its best.

Current 'special passenger validation' permit held.

richardjones210368

Quote from: Winston on January 17, 2020, 06:33:28 PM
The seats will never ever suit all, it's down to personal preference, it was always depend on a persons height, body shape, posture,  weight, length of journey etc
At 6foot 1 and built like a navvy I find the 15plate E400s far more comfotable with better leg room personally than the awfull Plantnums but I do have a soft spot for the Wright Streetdecks light comfoy and a lovley ride.

Mike K

Quote from: richardjones210368 on January 17, 2020, 06:25:50 PM
You cannot compere the Stagecoach Gold Scannias on the X80 From.Torquay to Plymouth with those utter rubbish hulks we have had forced on us on the X8 at least the X10 gets a fine quality Streetdeck if only I lived a little bit closer to The Stag I would be a happy man on this forum.

I didn't. I really didn't. I'm talking about the standard offerings of First, Go Ahead, Arriva, Stagecoach etc for use on local urban services. They all offer pretty much the same spec in terms of WiFi, usb, etc. Platinum is now the norm / standard spec for NX deliveries. My point was that this 'stupid' concept differs in no way to what other big operators offer.

don

Quote from: richardjones210368 on January 17, 2020, 06:33:54 PM
the offical line was they are not the Prince of Wales feathers but are Fleur De Leys...........................

Pies rather than royalty then  ;D

(That's a bit 1960s - Fleur de Lys pies!!)
Bustimes.org - armchair bus chasing at its best
wmbusphotos.com - armchair bus spotting and news at its best.

Current 'special passenger validation' permit held.

richardjones210368

Quote from: danny on January 17, 2020, 06:27:57 PM
With response to @richardjones210368...

Where as I can see your point of view the point still stands that a trident is a double decker on a double decker route. Nxwm have invested heavily In new state of the art buses and standardised platinum on all new orders aswell as invested heavily in a refurbisment program on most older buses both inside and out... A 10 year old trident with a luck of paint and a new interiors.

I fully acknowledge that the platiums may not be to everybody's taste, as winston has said he much prefers the first generation of high spec buses of the 80s, personally my only recolection of such buses are when travel your bus where transfered some DP lynxes which were a regular on my once local 81Y service... I unfortunately have never had the privaledge of riding a DP national or metro bus as there were never in my local garages. But realistically how long are we on buses for for any one time, any single journey I make locally takes between 20-40 minutes, if I have to transfer onto another bus or make a connection I don't tend to be on it for much longer than the time quoted. This is ofcourse discounting traffic, unexpected holdups or three odd mishap.
If I need to go further or there is an alternate I take the train...

I look forward to what nx offering will be this year as we await the long anticipated all electric deckers...
I have no complaints about the NXWM Wright Streetdecks on PN X10 the perfect urban bus in my opinion.and a credit to the operator

richardjones210368

Quote from: don on January 17, 2020, 06:38:51 PM
Pies rather than royalty then  ;D

(That's a bit 1960s - Fleur de Lys pies!!)
From what I was told @don  oh & I am very happy as I am now on a NXWM Wright Streetdeck on the X1O a credit to the operator as I am heading for Halesowen & not Blackheath and a joy to ride on.

richardjones210368

Quote from: don on January 17, 2020, 06:35:53 PM
Everyone is entitled to a view but this is frankly ill informed and silly. Londoners rely on the public transport system and it is extremely reliable and well used (and generally well presented). I would be furious if someone tried to impose a different system when the existing one provides such a good service.

Ive used several elements of it daily for a number of years - apart from when road works affects things or there's a tram or rail incident, which is about every three weeks or so, it runs like clockwork. In comparison I'm about to claim South Eastern delay repay for over 2 hrs on one journey on S Eastern high speed - the one I eventually got on had 100+ people standing in my carriage - at 125 mph!!
I am.not sure how using London Buses for 5 years 3 days a week  how on earth I could be described as silly and ill informed as I never used the underground or trains once it was 100% bus all the way with my annual TfL.Oyster Bus Pass is there anyone one the forum who has used TfL Buses more than me I would welcome thier conscrutive opinions rather than personal attacks and yes I really did used to stay 3 days a week in where else Blackheath South London so we are not off thread.

Tony

Quote from: richardjones210368 on January 17, 2020, 06:51:07 PM
I am.not sure how using London Buses for 5 years 3 days a week  how on earth I could be described as silly and ill informed as I never used the underground or trains once it was 100% bus all the way with my annual TfL.Oyster Bus Pass.

And of course, London would never use a bus over 10 years old on a main trunk route would they?

richardjones210368

Quote from: Tony on January 17, 2020, 06:55:04 PM
And of course, London would never use a bus over 10 years old on a main trunk route would they?
TfL contract the buses to the most appropriate routes TfWM do not they have to put up with whatever the operator puts on the route subject to emissions legislation did you not realise that@Tony

Tony

Quote from: richardjones210368 on January 17, 2020, 06:57:32 PM
TfL contact the buses to the most appropriate routes TfWM do not they have to put up with whatever the operator puts on the route subject to emissions legislation did you not realise thst @Tony

Perhaps you ought to go down to London then. I was photographing 14 year old E400s on New Bus For London Routes last week.

Arriva London were using 15 year old ALX400s exactly the same bus you moan about on the 2 route past Buckingham palace up until 18 months ago.(as per TfL spec)

Stagecoach London have only just taken 18 year old second hand darts off the road.

richardjones210368

Quote from: Tony on January 17, 2020, 07:09:27 PM
Perhaps you ought to go down to London then. I was photographing 14 year old E400s on New Bus For London Routes last week.

Arriva London North were using 15 year old ALX400s exactly the same bus you moan about on the 2 route past Buckingham palace up until 18 months ago.(as per TfL spec)

Stagecoach London have only just taken 18 year old second hand darts off the road.
I cannot see your argument here @Tony the buses are specified in the contracts agreed with the operators and are fit for purpose the Tridents I have been on on the 13A this week are scheduled by an operator that is not required to meet the specifications laid down for London under TfL's tendering scheme your company can put out any vechicle that meets the current emissions standards and does not have to meet any standards of quality as required by TfL I doubt whether the Tridents used on the 13A would meet TfL contract requirements from the quality of vechicle I have been on this week.so I fail to see any credence in your argument just to remind you I will be using TfL 11 on the 19th March and 18 months is a long time I fail to see how the 2 is a defence for the 13A or did you travel to London in a Tardis I am using the Megabus?

Tony

Quote from: richardjones210368 on January 17, 2020, 07:18:27 PM
I cannot see your argument here the buses are specified in the contracts agreed with the operators and are fit for for purpose the Tridents I have been on on the 13A this week are scheduled by an operator that is not required to meet the specifications laid down for London under TfL's tendering scheme your company can put out any vechicle that meets the current emissions standards and does not have to meet any standards of quality as required by TfL I doubt whether the Tridents used on the 13A would meet TfL contract requirements from the quality of vechicle I have been on this week.so I fail to see any credence in argument.

And what is your argument?
TfL were happy to specifiy 15 year old ALX400s upgraded with traps to Euro 5 on a major route into the city past major landmarks on a very busy route and that is acceptable
NXWM use identical 15 year old vehicles upgraded to Euro 5 emission an a route into the city centre and it is not acceptable
This photo of one of them I took in 2015 shows far more bodywork damage and etched windows than any of Pensnett's 44xx tridents have
http://wmbusphotos.com/ArrivaUK/ArrivaLondonVLA1.html

richardjones210368

Quote from: Tony on January 17, 2020, 07:24:46 PM
And what is your argument?
TfL were happy to specifiy 15 year old ALX400s upgraded with traps to Euro 5 on a major route into the city past major landmarks on a very busy route and that is acceptable
NXWM use identical 15 year old vehicles upgraded to Euro 5 emission an a route into the city centre and it is not acceptable
This photo of one of them I took in 2015 shows far more bodywork damage and etched windows than any of Pensnett's 44xx tridents have
http://wmbusphotos.com/ArrivaUK/ArrivaLondonVLA1.html
Lovley pictures @Tony but then again I was witness for your company when the 6 was damaged in a vandal attack near Dudley Top Church on a Sunday in September and have enjoyed the etching on the 11 so I am not sure what your trying to prove there the ALX400s specifications were set by TfL and not the operator and so how could the standard of a commercial operation be judged against the public sector not for profit percument as an accountant the economies of scale are uncomparable in terms of quality your company is only concerned with its profit margin TfL Buses are most certainly not profit motivated

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk