News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

West Midlands Bus Area Map and Guides

Started by Bus Man K2, October 30, 2019, 05:58:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoNi

Quote from: Bus Man K2 on December 08, 2019, 08:49:06 AM
No it they wouldn't look a mess, but it would cost the tax payers a lot of money. I know S&D and Cov have been colour coded, but the operator wanted those to be colour coded. Also Cov one works as NXC want to keep there network separate to the other areas.
If colour coding works so well, explain why are NX taking the branding off their buses in Coventry unlike other urban areas that  continue to successfully use the route colour coding policy!

Bus Man K2

Quote from: JoNi on December 08, 2019, 11:00:59 AM
If colour coding works so well, explain why are NX taking the branding off their buses in Coventry unlike other urban areas that  continue to successfully use the route colour coding policy!

It could very well be because they are thinking of rebranding that service, or it could be just that their running out of buses so by Debrading buses it's adding capacity to the unbranded routes.either of those options are a psooiblity. Or last one could be their finding it more and more difficult to brand routes as there are only so many colours in the rainbow so to speak!!

JoNi

Quote from: Bus Man K2 on December 08, 2019, 11:08:05 AM
It could very well be because they are thinking of rebranding that service, or it could be just that their running out of buses so by Debrading buses it's adding capacity to the unbranded routes.either of those options are a psooiblity. Or last one could be their finding it more and more difficult to brand routes as there are only so many colours in the rainbow so to speak!!
There are easily a sufficient number of colours for a small city like Coventry. Judging by the fact incorrectly branded buses have been put out today it can be a lack of vehicles. Look at Bustimes and you will see 20 branded 2166 on 16 today! Mind you it isn't correctly branded on the system. I'm often left wondering is there anything requiring attention to detail relating to NX that can be done properly!!

Bus Man K2

Quote from: JoNi on December 08, 2019, 11:27:21 AM
There are easily a sufficient number of colours for a small city like Coventry. Judging by the fact incorrectly branded buses have been put out today it can be a lack of vehicles. Look at Bustimes and you will see 20 branded 2166 on 16 today! Mind you it isn't correctly branded on the system. I'm often left wondering is there anything requiring attention to detail relating to NX that can be done properly!!

For Coventry yes I agree there's enough colours for branding buses but look at the other areas how cluttered are they with different colours.

JoNi

Yes a friend burst out laughing when I showed him the TfWM bus route diagram colour coded by departure hub not by route. When I went to a hub it only has details for that hub. It's been a long time since I caught a bus in Birmingham!

Bus Man K2

Quote from: JoNi on December 08, 2019, 11:38:43 AM
Yes a friend burst out laughing when I showed him the TfWM bus route diagram colour coded by departure hub not by route. When I went to a hub it only has details for that hub. It's been a long time since I caught a bus in Birmingham!
Colour coding does work but only in smaller area ie Coventry being one of them. I think Walsall and Wolverhampton would also work.

JPC

Hello @Bus Man K2

The WMNetwork website has recently updated with supposedly new versions of the Birmingham and Coventry area maps which are dated 23/24 Dec 2019,
But the Coventry map is completely wrong as it is showing NXC routes as they were prior to the review in September as well as virtually all of the errors I commented about a few weeks ago.

I thought the next issue of the Cov map wasn't due until March? - in any case it is probably best if the website reverts back to the September version for the time being.

Bus Man K2

Quote from: JPC on December 27, 2019, 07:55:32 PM
Hello @Bus Man K2

The WMNetwork website has recently updated with supposedly new versions of the Birmingham and Coventry area maps which are dated 23/24 Dec 2019,
But the Coventry map is completely wrong as it is showing NXC routes as they were prior to the review in September as well as virtually all of the errors I commented about a few weeks ago.

I thought the next issue of the Cov map wasn't due until March? - in any case it is probably best if the website reverts back to the September version for the time being.

Hi @JPC

Thanks for the heads up. I will contact the person who I work with sometime in the next week and ask why the Cov and Birmingham map has been update from 23/24 Dec. I will also ask why the Cov map has been reverted back to pre September 19.

I was under the impression that the Cov and Birmingham maps would be changed/updated  in April and the changes mentioned on this forum and the ones I picked up would be added.

Was there any changes added to either maps, other that the revert to pre Sept map?

Regards

JPC

Quote from: Bus Man K2 on December 27, 2019, 08:41:54 PM
Hi @JPC

Thanks for the heads up. I will contact the person who I work with sometime in the next week and ask why the Cov and Birmingham map has been update from 23/24 Dec. I will also ask why the Cov map has been reverted back to pre September 19.

I was under the impression that the Cov and Birmingham maps would be changed/updated  in April and the changes mentioned on this forum and the ones I picked up would be added.

Was there any changes added to either maps, other that the revert to pre Sept map?

The online Cov map has the 5/1/2020 alteration to the 87 and 88 routes plus new variant 87A added,  The online Solihull map also seems to be have been updated with this (URL date is 24 Dec).
Maybe it's the printed version of the map which isn't due to be issued until March/April, the online version might be updated more frequently?.
Obviously in their attempt to update the online Cov map they've worked on an older version of the map instead of the last update.  ::)

Crosville

Thinking whether the reverse side of the maps should be PDFed as well, with route listings & frequencies which did happen briefly a couple of years ago, i know routes change all the time but they give idea of the frequencies ecc?

I know West Yorkshire Metro do this with there online bus maps.

Bus Man K2

Quote from: Crosville on December 28, 2019, 01:26:49 PM
Thinking whether the reverse side of the maps should be PDFed as well, with route listings & frequencies which did happen briefly a couple of years ago, i know routes change all the time but they give idea of the frequencies ecc?

I know West Yorkshire Metro do this with there online bus maps.

Hi @Crosville when I'm next in at their offices I'll ask if it's possible for the other side of each area map could be added as a PDF to the website. I will also try to get them to re add the correct Coventry map with the Sep changes added to it.

Bus Man K2

For everyone who noticed the Coventry area map on the West Midlands Network site being wrong except for the changes from January, this includes you @Crosville. The Coventry map should be updated, by the end of today to what it was after Sept 22nd also with the Jan changes added. Thanks to @Crosville  for pointing this out.  :D

Bus Man K2

Crosville

Cheers @Bus Man K2, on some maps especially the Birmingham &, Sandwell & Dudley area maps, there's a few duplicate numbers, like Birmingham there's a couple of 5s, 6s & so on, so it can be handy to pdf the reverse side.

Bus Man K2

Just thought the Cov map will now probably be updated onto the website either tomorrow or when TfWM do their data reset on Thursday. So for now there won't be any Cov map available on the website.

Bus Man K2

Quote from: Bus Man K2 on December 30, 2019, 07:32:23 PM
Just thought the Cov map will now probably be updated onto the website either tomorrow or when TfWM do their data reset on Thursday. So for now there won't be any Cov map available on the website.

Cov map now available to see on WMN website if needed. Yes I also know there are still mistakes on it. The new one (with my maendments on it) won't be added umtil April.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk