News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Future of 13 Willenhall service?

Started by Sandy Lane, September 24, 2019, 10:36:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandy Lane

Quote from: ellspurs on July 27, 2024, 12:27:52 PMIf someone is paying for it to go to Segro and there's time in the timetable for a bus which is passing the entrance anyway, then why not?

As long as people don't want to go there between 10am and 1pm (randomly) then it should be an improvement for them.
Is Segro providing all the funding for the extended route?

ellspurs

Quote from: Sandy Lane on July 27, 2024, 01:43:07 PMIs Segro providing all the funding for the extended route?
That's what has been speculated. The area falls in Warwickshire, so there's no incentive for NX to do it off their own backs.

Sandy Lane

Quote from: ellspurs on July 27, 2024, 02:05:24 PMThat's what has been speculated. The area falls in Warwickshire, so there's no incentive for NX to do it off their own backs.
I would guess the European real estate company called Segro do not stump up this cost but have no info. If anything, my guess is this will be a government or West Mids Authority funded scheme, similar to the X30 at Ansty Park. Both locations are just outside the Coventry boundary and need to have public transport introduced to make these countryside sites look 'sustainable'.

Sandy Lane

Question for the Mods please?

There is quite a good discussion going on about development of the 13 route in the 'Coventry Garage' thread.
Can it be lifted and moved to this thread as it would sit better in here?

Stu

Quote from: Sandy Lane on July 27, 2024, 04:03:47 PMQuestion for the Mods please?

There is quite a good discussion going on about development of the 13 route in the 'Coventry Garage' thread.
Can it be lifted and moved to this thread as it would sit better in here?
That's been done :azn:
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Stu

Quote from: Sandy Lane on July 27, 2024, 03:58:22 PMI would guess the European real estate company called Segro do not stump up this cost but have no info. If anything, my guess is this will be a government or West Mids Authority funded scheme, similar to the X30 at Ansty Park. Both locations are just outside the Coventry boundary and need to have public transport introduced to make these countryside sites look 'sustainable'.
The service registration says 'no' to 'supported by subsidies'.
https://www.vehicle-operator-licensing.service.gov.uk/search/find-registered-local-bus-services/details/625837/

My interpretation is this means no financial support from the local authority, however this doesn't stop the developer paying NX directly, as with the X30 service, which also shows no subsidy on the registration.
My locals:

Sandy Lane

Quote from: Stu on July 27, 2024, 04:31:58 PMThe service registration says 'no' to 'supported by subsidies'.
https://www.vehicle-operator-licensing.service.gov.uk/search/find-registered-local-bus-services/details/625837/

My interpretation is this means no financial support from the local authority, however this doesn't stop the developer paying NX directly, as with the X30 service, which also shows no subsidy on the registration.
Stu, thanks for lifting and moving the 13 content to here.

Looking at the Segro Coventry web site there are reported to be two large brand new warehouses already built and needing buyers.
https://www.segro.com/countries-repository/united-kingdom/segro-park-coventry 

Perhaps the current lack of public transport is seen as a problem and putting off the buyers? I would not be surprised if the government have had to fund the bus service? Perhaps the new chancellor has found a bit of cash left over in the olde Levelling Up funds???  

Stu

Quote from: Sandy Lane on July 27, 2024, 06:19:18 PMLooking at the Segro Coventry web site there are reported to be two large brand new warehouses already built and needing buyers.
https://www.segro.com/countries-repository/united-kingdom/segro-park-coventry 

Perhaps the current lack of public transport is seen as a problem and putting off the buyers? I would not be surprised if the government have had to fund the bus service? Perhaps the new chancellor has found a bit of cash left over in the olde Levelling Up funds???  
Personally I'd prefer it if these big multi-national companies dipped their hands into their own pockets to fund start up bus services such as this, rather than the government or local authority.

I doubt a lack of public transport would put off the kinds of companies who invest in sites like these, and it all depends on what employment opportunities are being created.
My locals:

paulb1973

Quote from: JPC on July 26, 2024, 05:06:56 PMThere is bus stop kerbing in each direction on Scimitar Way close to the Jaguar roundabout which I hope will be commissioned for the 13 service (instead of a merry-go-round of both directions calling to the same existing Jaguar stop). Also more kerbing in both directions just north of the Rowley Road roundabout which would be convenient for the Air Museum, Battery Centre and a short walk to Rowley Drive but we may see reluctance in installing stop posts here with it being outside the TFWM area.
I expect we will see some passengers interchanging at London Road (Asda) to make their journey between Segro and the City Centre shorter.
On a similar theme. There are, I assume, going to be a number of bus stops in Willenhall - where service 13 stops - but heading to different destinations.

I'm presuming the 13 when heading to the Segro Business Park, will travel along Willenhall Lane, St James' Lane, Robin Hood Road (drop-off/pick-up at the Precinct) and travel up Remembrance Road and back along St James' Lane [that its already covered minutes earlier] then continue further along St James' Lane towards London Road?

Shorter 13 journeys to Willenhall have to loop around Robin Hood Rd as there is nowhere to turnaround. But the longer ones could simply turn right from St James' Lane into Remembrance Road (pause at the Haggard Centre) go along Robin Hood Rd, then turn right into St James' Lane (and the exact reverse when heading inbound). But that would make things confusing from a bus stop point-of-view! Add in the 21, 60 etc - you'll need to have your wits about you in Willenhall.

Stu

Quote from: paulb1973 on July 28, 2024, 11:44:22 AMOn a similar theme. There are, I assume, going to be a number of bus stops in Willenhall - where service 13 stops - but heading to different destinations.

I'm presuming the 13 when heading to the Segro Business Park, will travel along Willenhall Lane, St James' Lane, Robin Hood Road (drop-off/pick-up at the Precinct) and travel up Remembrance Road and back along St James' Lane [that its already covered minutes earlier] then continue further along St James' Lane towards London Road?

Shorter 13 journeys to Willenhall have to loop around Robin Hood Rd as there is nowhere to turnaround. But the longer ones could simply turn right from St James' Lane into Remembrance Road (pause at the Haggard Centre) go along Robin Hood Rd, then turn right into St James' Lane (and the exact reverse when heading inbound). But that would make things confusing from a bus stop point-of-view! Add in the 21, 60 etc - you'll need to have your wits about you in Willenhall.

The route map is now shown on BusTimes:
https://bustimes.org/services/13-coventry-willenhall#map

Looking at the timetable from the TfWM website, short journeys to Willenhall will terminate at and start from the St Bernards Walk stop.

The journeys towards Segro will continue from St Bernards Walk back onto St James Lane, omitting the Lorenzo Close stop as well as the primary school (which it will have already served).
My locals:

Sandy Lane

Quote from: JPC on July 25, 2024, 05:55:02 PMNew timetable for the 13 and 13A is now on traveline, and the route taken for the extension isn't what we were expecting...
From Willenhall it follows the 21 route to London Road (Asda) then into Whitley Jaguar and along Scimitar Way and Orchard Way* to Segro Park.
(*Orchard Way is renamed Silver Eagle Way now?). The 13A doesn't extend to Segro.
I have been along some of the 13 route today.

Silver Eagle Way (Orchard Way?) is a new road now open to the public. There is now a bus stop on this road, both sides, at the far end approx. behind the Baginton Oak pub. The stop flags are huge with a symbol of a single decker bus and the large words 'Bus stop' underneath. Doesn't look right at all. TXC have put a notice in the timetable board 'There are presently no services from this bus stop. For information regarding future services from this stop please visit our website..........'

Also to note that these two stops are now showing on Bus times.org.

No stops currently found nearer to the Battery Industrialisation Centre.

Hope this is useful info?

ellspurs

Quote from: Sandy Lane on July 28, 2024, 02:36:03 PMThe stop flags are huge with a symbol of a single decker bus and the large words 'Bus stop' underneath. Doesn't look right at all.

Yea that sounds like a standard Warwickshire CC bus stop flag. It *is* better than Coleshill/Water Orton, which still has 590a/590c on some of their flags, the "717/757/767/777" services from the early 2000s, and a prominent ad for the Central Buses 75 service.

Sandy Lane

Quote from: JPC on July 26, 2024, 05:06:56 PMThere is bus stop kerbing in each direction on Scimitar Way close to the Jaguar roundabout which I hope will be commissioned for the 13 service (instead of a merry-go-round of both directions calling to the same existing Jaguar stop). Also more kerbing in both directions just north of the Rowley Road roundabout which would be convenient for the Air Museum, Battery Centre and a short walk to Rowley Drive but we may see reluctance in installing stop posts here with it being outside the TFWM area.
I have been along some of the 13 route today.

Had a look at the bus stop kerbing you mention on Scimitar Way near the Jag. plant. I don't think they are compliant on both sides as there is a mix of kerb types over the bus stop section. I reckon it will need upgrading before it can be used?

Also to note the TfWM flag at the current official Jag. bus shelter is now missing. Perhaps a sign that the stop will be moving as suggested?

karl724223

Quote from: Sandy Lane on July 28, 2024, 02:46:14 PMI have been along some of the 13 route today.

Had a look at the bus stop kerbing you mention on Scimitar Way near the Jag. plant. I don't think they are compliant on both sides as there is a mix of kerb types over the bus stop section. I reckon it will need upgrading before it can be used?

Also to note the TfWM flag at the current official Jag. bus shelter is now missing. Perhaps a sign that the stop will be moving as suggested?
Kassel kerbs don't need to be put in now by councils 
We had Kassel kerbs in brierley hill high st but when they put new pavements and kerbs in they took the Kassel kerbs out and put normal kerbs in 

paulb1973

Quote from: Stu on July 28, 2024, 01:18:22 PMThe route map is now shown on BusTimes:
https://bustimes.org/services/13-coventry-willenhall#map

Looking at the timetable from the TfWM website, short journeys to Willenhall will terminate at and start from the St Bernards Walk stop.

The journeys towards Segro will continue from St Bernards Walk back onto St James Lane, omitting the Lorenzo Close stop as well as the primary school (which it will have already served).
Quote from: Sandy Lane on July 28, 2024, 02:46:14 PMI have been along some of the 13 route today.

In message #54 there is a link to the route - which appears to show a little diversion off Scimitar Way not far from the A444 area. Which I assume to be the entrance to JLR/current bus stop for the 60 and X18 (named Leaf Lane on Google Maps) suggesting that will be served by the 13. And that does show a 'Silver Eagle Way' rather than an Orchard Way.

Leaf Lane seems to occupy areas either side of the A444 in and outbound carriageway!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk