News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Future of 13 Willenhall service?

Started by Sandy Lane, September 24, 2019, 10:36:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulb1973

That begs the question why not just run an off-shoot service of the 21 (as a notional '21B' or even just as now, 21A). I suppose, as JPC mentions above in message 2252, that would presumably miss out running through Willenhall/Binley etc, where it is likely many workers at this site, live (and increase costs of running a service like that).

If you are going to massively lengthen a service to reach Segro Park, presumably they must have looked at extending the 17/17A alongside Fenside Ave to Leaf Lane to the Festival roundabout and then Scimitar Way/Firefly Rd/Orchard Way/Bubbenhall Rd. Or even extending the 9 from the Finham area through Mill Hill/Coventry Rd into Baginton. That would have created complications on service provision - drivers, vehicles etc.

There is, as also mentioned, two obvious ways from Willenhall; St James' Lane, London Rd, Toll Bar End, Rowley Rd, then Orchard Way. The alternative being (after Toll Bar End) Siskin Drive, Siskin Parkway, but is there a connection from there via that White Rose Way to this site? It looks like the Toll Bar End roundabout won't be avoided whatever happens.

There was, until the very late 1960s (or early 70s) a service 13 that went to the Ryton Works (Rootes Group as was I assume) unless that was the aviation company works on Siskin Drive (?). Whatever it was, a service '13' went that way.

Justin Tyme

Quote from: paulb1973 on July 23, 2024, 05:39:20 PMThere was, until the very late 1960s (or early 70s) a service 13 that went to the Ryton Works (Rootes Group as was I assume) unless that was the aviation company works on Siskin Drive (?). Whatever it was, a service '13' went that way.

For the record, "Ryton Works" was indeed the Rootes Works.  Buses on the 13 (transferred to the 27, when that started in 1967) used to terminate at the A423 island with what is now, appropriately, Hillman Way.

I travelled on a 27 to and from there one lunchtime many years ago.  As I recall the destination on the blind was simply "Ryton".

The 13 (later 27) had another variant beyond Toll Bar End, serving factories on Siskin Drive, which Coventry Transport called "Works Baginton".

paulb1973

Quote from: Justin Tyme on July 23, 2024, 09:02:12 PMFor the record, "Ryton Works" was indeed the Rootes Works.  Buses on the 13 (transferred to the 27, when that started in 1967) used to terminate at the A423 island with what is now, appropriately, Hillman Way.

I travelled on a 27 to and from there one lunchtime many years ago.  As I recall the destination on the blind was simply "Ryton".

The 13 (later 27) had another variant beyond Toll Bar End, serving factories on Siskin Drive, which Coventry Transport called "Works Baginton".

The PTE some time after the take-over, must have re-organised these services into the: 27 (City - Toll Bar End), 37 (Ryton Works), 47 (Baginton Trading Estate) and possibly a bit later, 57 (Stonebridge Industrial Estate).

My little pocket Fare Table guide (Coventry District) dated 30th Nov 1975, only shows the 27 as City, Pool Meadow - Toll Bar End/Ryton (Chrysler Works)/Works Baginton [as you state]. So it was certainly after that time.

Justin Tyme

Quote from: paulb1973 on July 23, 2024, 10:34:21 PMThe PTE some time after the take-over, must have re-organised these services into the: 27 (City - Toll Bar End), 37 (Ryton Works), 47 (Baginton Trading Estate) and possibly a bit later, 57 (Stonebridge Industrial Estate).

My little pocket Fare Table guide (Coventry District) dated 30th Nov 1975, only shows the 27 as City, Pool Meadow - Toll Bar End/Ryton (Chrysler Works)/Works Baginton [as you state]. So it was certainly after that time.

You are correct.  Time to put the anorak on!  The use of numbers 37 and 47 started on 19 March 1978, and the 57 started on 3 June 1979.

paulb1973

Quote from: Justin Tyme on July 23, 2024, 10:54:02 PMYou are correct.  Time to put the anorak on!  The use of numbers 37 and 47 started on 19 March 1978, and the 57 started on 3 June 1979.
Interesting - don't think I've come across those specific dates before (I'd better remember this thread!). All those services were swept away in the changes made on 21/4/85 and the Works services simply became '21A' (on off-shoot of the newly created 21 Wood End - Willenhall combination). I can't quite remember if all three works terminus points continued to be served though, I'd say that the Stonebridge Industrial Park (Sibree Rd/Rowley Drive) was discontinued. So the 21A has been a constant for 39 years?

I can recall walking up Siskin Drive for various events in the early 1980s (probably big RAFA Airshows and the Pope visit in 1982) on long hot summer days, and seeing buses and a bus stop up there - it seemed such an unlikely outpost for a bus to visit!

After those changes I can recall a service 26 City, Pool Meadow - Toll Bar End which must have been a direct replacement for the 27. But, which was replaced by tacking Toll Bar End (via London Rd) onto service 1 at deregulation in October 1986.

This area might find itself with a slightly more frequent bus service in the near future.

the trainbasher

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how did the 27 turn at Toll Bar End? Was it where the Stonebridge island is, or was it further up the road?

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

paulb1973

The 27 (in the early days) the shorter Toll Bar End journeys simply went around the roundabout and parked up alongside a shelter inbound very close to the roundabout. I guess cars managed to squeeze past (it's hard to imagine that now). And in later years, certainly during the '1' years - it used an outbound lay-by opposite the aforementioned stop and then returned to town using the roundabout.

The 47 (21A) used the first roundabout at the end of Siskin Drive, but in later years made use of Siskin Parkway. The 57 used the junction of Rowley Drive and Sibree Rd (a quiet industrial estate area).

I assume the 37 used the large roundabout close to the main entrance of Peugeot/Talbot (etc).

JPC

New timetable for the 13 and 13A is now on traveline, and the route taken for the extension isn't what we were expecting...
From Willenhall it follows the 21 route to London Road (Asda) then into Whitley Jaguar and along Scimitar Way and Orchard Way* to Segro Park.
(*Orchard Way is renamed Silver Eagle Way now?). The 13A doesn't extend to Segro.

Coventrybususer95

Quote from: JPC on July 25, 2024, 05:55:02 PMNew timetable for the 13 and 13A is now on traveline, and the route taken for the extension isn't what we were expecting...
From Willenhall it follows the 21 route to London Road (Asda) then into Whitley Jaguar and along Scimitar Way and Orchard Way* to Segro Park.
(*Orchard Way is renamed Silver Eagle Way now?). The 13A doesn't extend to Segro.
There seems to be a 00:30 and 02:30am trip if I'm reading that right 
All views are my own and does not represent the views of any company/ business that i maybe be working with

paulb1973

Quote from: JPC on July 25, 2024, 05:55:02 PMNew timetable for the 13 and 13A is now on traveline, and the route taken for the extension isn't what we were expecting...
I have driven that way to get to Baginton (the Old Mill pub) from the London Rd area, quite straight-forward and you go across that rather large bridge across the A45. It gives the JLR area quite a frequent service seemingly. On London Road itself, the 'inbound 21' side will also be the 'outbound 13 side' and the opposite on the other side of the road - they'll be plenty of buses between Willenhall and that Asda store (if there wasn't enough already).

Slight edit: I see not all journeys go to Segro Park, with quite a few still terminating at Willenhall (and there's quite a gap during the daytime). But the business park will be covered 7 days a week.

Sandy Lane

When Scimitar Rd was first built behind the Jaguar plant all those years years ago I did not understand why a bus lane was put in on the steep hill. Now I understand why !

Also from the Ernesford Grange area to Asda Whitley the NXC 13 will now compete with the hourly SC 60 service - wonder if the 60 route is going to be reviewed soon?

JPC

Quote from: Sandy Lane on July 25, 2024, 09:00:20 PMWhen Scimitar Rd was first built behind the Jaguar plant all those years years ago I did not understand why a bus lane was put in on the steep hill. Now I understand why !
There is bus stop kerbing in each direction on Scimitar Way close to the Jaguar roundabout which I hope will be commissioned for the 13 service (instead of a merry-go-round of both directions calling to the same existing Jaguar stop). Also more kerbing in both directions just north of the Rowley Road roundabout which would be convenient for the Air Museum, Battery Centre and a short walk to Rowley Drive but we may see reluctance in installing stop posts here with it being outside the TFWM area.

Quote from: paulb1973 on July 25, 2024, 06:37:14 PMI have driven that way to get to Baginton (the Old Mill pub) from the London Rd area, quite straight-forward and you go across that rather large bridge across the A45. It gives the JLR area quite a frequent service seemingly. On London Road itself, the 'inbound 21' side will also be the 'outbound 13 side' and the opposite on the other side of the road - they'll be plenty of buses between Willenhall and that Asda store (if there wasn't enough already).
I expect we will see some passengers interchanging at London Road (Asda) to make their journey between Segro and the City Centre shorter.

Sandy Lane

Quote from: JPC on July 26, 2024, 05:06:56 PMThere is bus stop kerbing in each direction on Scimitar Way close to the Jaguar roundabout which I hope will be commissioned for the 13 service (instead of a merry-go-round of both directions calling to the same existing Jaguar stop). 
I have to say that I am not sure why this new NXC 13 route extension to Baginton has to call at the Jaguar plant? Are there really bus loads of Jaguar people waiting to use this indirect service to the city centre or Baginton? The Jaguar stop is currently only served by the hourly SC60 and rarely have I seen anyone use the stop. 

This is a car manufacturer who has a huge amount of car parking space for their workers and who are attracted to using cars via a company leasing scheme. 

I want the NXC 13 route to succeed but can someone convince me that by calling at Jaguar is necessary?

Coventrybususer95

Quote from: Sandy Lane on July 27, 2024, 07:50:43 AMI have to say that I am not sure why this new NXC 13 route extension to Baginton has to call at the Jaguar plant? Are there really bus loads of Jaguar people waiting to use this indirect service to the city centre or Baginton? The Jaguar stop is currently only served by the hourly SC60 and rarely have I seen anyone use the stop.

This is a car manufacturer who has a huge amount of car parking space for their workers and who are attracted to using cars via a company leasing scheme.

I want the NXC 13 route to succeed but can someone convince me that by calling at Jaguar is necessary?
They also now have the x18A serving the jag plant
All views are my own and does not represent the views of any company/ business that i maybe be working with

ellspurs

If someone is paying for it to go to Segro and there's time in the timetable for a bus which is passing the entrance anyway, then why not?

As long as people don't want to go there between 10am and 1pm (randomly) then it should be an improvement for them.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk