News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Birmingham Clean Air Zone

Started by winston, April 17, 2019, 12:05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winston

It seems to be another half arsed 'Clean Air Zone' primarily targeting PSV's, Coaches & Minibuses get a 1 year exception from charges, people that work in Birmingham and drive in by car get a 1year exemption from charges. There's not even any date set for HGV's to comply or the 1000' of diesel delivery vans that pass through / deliver to the City each day don't even warrant a mention

http://www.route-one.net/magazines/emag/routeone786/page_14.html

cardew

Any restrictions on the elderly diesel taxis idling away by New Street Station?

winston

Quote from: cardew on April 17, 2019, 04:59:34 PM
Any restrictions on the elderly diesel taxis idling away by New Street Station?

Not that I can see. Just buses.

Tony

Quote from: Winston on April 17, 2019, 09:23:42 PM
Not that I can see. Just buses.

It affects all vehicles including cars. Even companies based in the area can exempt only two vehicles. NX looked at registering the training fleet at BC, but only two would be exempt from the charge

winston

Quote from: Tony on April 17, 2019, 09:27:49 PM
It affects all vehicles including cars. Even companies based in the area can exempt only two vehicles. NX looked at registering the training fleet at BC, but only two would be exempt from the charge

Not immediately according to that routeone article, most other vehicle types are exempt from charges for another year after the Jan 2020 start date for buses.

Tony

Quote from: Winston on April 17, 2019, 09:35:32 PM
Not immediately according to that routeone article, most other vehicle types are exempt from charges for another year after the Jan 2020 start date for buses.

https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/fleet-industry-news/2018/12/13/birmingham-clean-air-zone-charges-published

Not many people avoid it

winston

Quote from: Tony on April 17, 2019, 09:50:30 PM
https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/fleet-industry-news/2018/12/13/birmingham-clean-air-zone-charges-published

Not many people avoid it

Was just going to post it, lot more detail than Routeone.

Noticeable petrol cars Euro 4 (2006) onwards are exempt, most other vehicle types have 1-2 years to comply with new restrictions

Tony

Quote from: Winston on April 17, 2019, 09:57:02 PM
Was just going to post it, lot more detail than Routeone.

Noticeable petrol cars Euro 4 (2006) onwards are exempt, most other vehicle types have 1-2 years to comply with new restrictions

What other vehicles have 1-2 years to comply? It's actually very few

winston

Quote from: Tony on April 17, 2019, 10:00:31 PM
What other vehicles have 1-2 years to comply? It's actually very few

It's the way the exceptions are stated, it says one year for such & such, then that exception only applies to two vehicles per company - think that must be where R1 have gone astray aswell.

The other main exceptions are:

Two-year exemptions for individuals with non-compliant vehicles registered inside the zone.

One-year exemptions to people with non-compliant vehicles who work within the zone and also satisfy the income threshold of £30,000 per year living within the CAZ and £20,000 living outside the restriced area.

A one-year exemption for visitors to key health services such as Birmingham Children's Hospital.Permanent exemptions for vans and minibuses providing 'essential' community and school transport services.

Disappointing that a 13 year old petrol car (2006 Euro 4) is deemed to comply (surprise, surprise). Not many car drivers will be hit with charges.

'In general they are petrol cars made since 2006 and diesel cars made since 2015.'

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/birmingham-clean-air-zone-map-15969912

Ginger66

By charging bus companies is wrong.  This could/will lead to NX, Diamond, First, Arriva and Stagecoach (Megabus) raising the bus fares so passengers the clean air charge.  If the fares are raised it will force passengers into cars and clean air in Birmingham will be worse.

Solo1

Nx have traps on some of the older buses to meet the clean air zone rule & council has given bus firms money to do this

Stu

Quote from: Ginger66 on April 26, 2019, 05:39:06 AM
By charging bus companies is wrong.  This could/will lead to NX, Diamond, First, Arriva and Stagecoach (Megabus) raising the bus fares so passengers the clean air charge.  If the fares are raised it will force passengers into cars and clean air in Birmingham will be worse.

Bus companies won't be charged if their vehicles are compliant. Hence NX's race to get as many vehicles 'trapped' as possible, for example.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Stephen Parry

Quote from: Ginger66 on April 26, 2019, 05:39:06 AM

I agree.

I feel this is just, first and foremost, about money. That's what governments do, local and national.

I get tired of politicians talking about how everyone should quit smoking and every person should try and give up their car. If that happened tomorrow, and everyone did so, that's a hell of a lot of lost revenue for the government. They'd certainly miss the revenue from smokers and drivers of all kinds.

It's all stick and no carrot, I feel.

I know of someone who works in healthcare. She has to drive in order to look after people in their homes. She also has to visit the city centre at times. She'll be one of countless people penalised.

Ginger66

The taxi protest is now annoying.  Buses are now late and this means I miss connections.   I usually catch 80 which is stuck at pigoda island and is late my 30 minutes on other days I catch 23/24 these are usually  regular but due to the stupid protesters 15 minutes delayed.

CL

Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk