News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Nearest that NX West Midlands gets to Worcestershire border

Started by Stephen Parry, April 03, 2019, 09:08:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu

If we're simply naming services that get near the Worcestershire border, one only has to get off the 2 or 49 at Maypole Island and walk around the corner to see the 'Welcome to Worcestershire' sign.  :D
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Tony

Quote from: Stephen Parry on April 04, 2019, 08:18:31 PM
All these answers are fascinating, and I've often wondered how long it would take to get from Land's End to John O'Groats simply by using local bus services (no coaches!). Might make an interesting experiment/documentary!

Ask Councillor Worrall from Walsall, he has done the whole of England, didn't do Scotland as his concessionary pass isn't valid there

Quote from: Stu on April 04, 2019, 08:23:34 PM
If we're simply naming services that get near the Worcestershire border, one only has to get off the 2 or 49 at Maypole Island and walk around the corner to see the 'Welcome to Worcestershire' sign.  :D
The 94 goes near to Warwickshire if that counts, Chester Road/Birmingham Road Island, there's a welcome to Warwickshire sign on the other side of the island by the Motorway Bridge.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Justin Tyme

Frankley was in Worcestershire (or should I say Hereford and Worcester) until circa 1995 when the housing estate was transferred to Birmingham.  A good part of Rubery is still in Worcestershire, however, and services 49 and 63 enter Worcestershire as they travel along Callowbridge Road and Callowbrook Lane.

The X20 also just about enters Worcestershire as it travels along Groveley Lane between Lowhill Lane and Rednal island, and on a short part of Lickey Road.

Finally, the X1 has one stop in Warwickshire - Packington Hall.

Ally

Coventry's 16/16A only just venture into Warwickshire at Keresley Village, the boundary being around 1 minute from the terminus, as do their 771 & 772 school services if we're counting those.
~ Alistair (A.K.A. Ally)
~ Originally from Bedworth, Warwickshire. Now residing in Bristol
~ CSA at National Express, Bristol
~ https://www.facebook.com/alistair.transportchat

Stephen Parry

As a Birmingham resident, I do feel lucky that NX West Midlands has such reach. One can get pretty far and pretty near to, or over, some of the county borders.

I presume it's the same in other cities. One would hope, say, a Manchester resident has an operator that can get around the Greater Manchester area. But from my Brummie perspective, I feel well-served by NX West Midlands - and others.

Ian Hardy

Stephen,

Get yourself an A-Z atlas of the West Midlands, this shows district and county boundaries as red pecked lines (as does any A-Z atlas). Then you will discover that quite often the boundaries were sensible 100 years ago when they were created but are not nowadays as they cross the middle of housing estates.

Stephen Parry

Quote from: Ian Hardy on April 06, 2019, 10:12:11 PM
Stephen,

Get yourself an A-Z atlas of the West Midlands, this shows district and county boundaries as red pecked lines (as does any A-Z atlas). Then you will discover that quite often the boundaries were sensible 100 years ago when they were created but are not nowadays as they cross the middle of housing estates.

Thank you. I didn't realise the A-Z was still a 'thing', but I'll pick one up.  :)

Westy

I know it's not 1969 anymore, but is there still areas where NX ought to serve but don't for some reason, because of an 'artificial' boundary dating back to municipal / operating agreement days?

(Or did deregulation stop all that?)

j789

Quote from: Westy on April 07, 2019, 10:19:55 PM
I know it's not 1969 anymore, but is there still areas where NX ought to serve but don't for some reason, because of an 'artificial' boundary dating back to municipal / operating agreement days?

(Or did deregulation stop all that?)

I would certainly say Bromsgrove as that boundary at Rubery dates back to Midland Red days. Even the southern end of Rubery is not served by nxwm (eg the 202 route) and there doesn't seem to have been any nxwm route around that part. I personally don't think it will be long before National Express purchase Worcester garage off First and that then provides them with the link over that boundary. It is also probably the only neighbouring operating area that would not lead to thorough scrutiny by the monopoly commission as only the 144 would be a possible duplication.

Westy

Quote from: Justin Tyme on April 04, 2019, 09:30:29 PM
Frankley was in Worcestershire (or should I say Hereford and Worcester) until circa 1995 when the housing estate was transferred to Birmingham.  A good part of Rubery is still in Worcestershire, however, and services 49 and 63 enter Worcestershire as they travel along Callowbridge Road and Callowbrook Lane.

The X20 also just about enters Worcestershire as it travels along Groveley Lane between Lowhill Lane and Rednal island, and on a short part of Lickey Road.

Here's a question regarding the X20 & Lowhill Lane area.

Some of you may be aware that tomorrow (Saturday) The Pride Of Longbridge (old BL / Rover cars in other words!) is doing something in Cofton Park.

Ive worked out it will take me around 2 hours to get down there from Bloxwich, so if I decide to go, I'll have to go fairly early, as its 10 till 4.

The Nx daysaver I know will cover me on the entire route anyway, but bearing in mind according to Nwm's Brum map, part of Grovelly Lane is actually in Worcestershire, so if I had a Nwm Daytripper, that allows me to use any bus or train, is that Worcestershire section covered on a Daytripper or not?

Could I get a train to Longbridge & change to a 145, which appears to stop outside the station & also goes down Grovelly Lane?

Does anyone who knows the area know where the various entrances are & what my best bet is?

(The reason I want to go is, my sister sold an old Rover 100(the later version of the Metro!) to a friend of a friend & it might be there tomorrow, depending on its condition, so I wanted to have a look at it!)

Journey planner would have answered that i'd have thought.
New Street to Cofton Hackett:
X20 is 45 minutes from Birmingham New Street to the terminus according to the timetable Every 20 minutes frequency. Using the time for the 09:40 journey time.
Train is a 21 minute journey and 145 a 10 minute journey running every 60 minutes. 31 minute journey time. So about 14 minute saving if they ran to time, with no delays and no waiting time, etc.

The stops along there are NWM stops, so would have thought so?
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

JPC

The nNetwork bus travel boundary isn't completely aligned with the WM county border, but is indicated with the light brown/yellow coloured shading on the Birmingham map, the whole of the X20 is within this.

Westy

Cheers folks.

Unfortuntely, due to something coming up, I've had to cry off today.

Maybe next time.

SO6597

WMPTE and latterly West Midlands Travel started to run services into Worcestershire just before and then after deregulation day:

201\202 Halesowen to Bromsgrove via Barnt Green/Blackwell (201) and Lickey (202)
318 Redditch to Stourbridge via Bromsgrove
X92 (?)

WMT also ran the 145 and the short lived Timesaver 945, they may also have ran tendered journeys on the 146 if I recall.

In the mid 90s WMT ran the 202 again for a short while.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk