News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

'new' bus museum Aldridge

Started by windy miller, June 30, 2012, 02:29:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

windy miller

The ex Aston manor bus museum was meant to have an 'open' day on Jubilee Tuesday (5th June)  Unfortunately I was away on holiday- did anyone go? or have you been recently? Do they have a catalogue of old West mids bus/tram Photo's? maybe if they did they could sell them at a £1 each? (or more). You could buy an 8x6 frame from the 99p shop.
Mind the Gap.....?:-)

D10

I went on the 5th June. There were a couple of stalls selling photos there, of which one I think was of there own stand selling from there collction. There is no shop there though unlike at Aston. But maybe as time goes by they will develop this side of the museum again to bring in some useful income.

PM

I went. Compared to Bammot-not very good at all. Essentially a shed with a couple of buses and stalls-maybe thats because Bammot is an amazing museum to visit/be a member of, but I was far from impressed. More interesting was looking down where I wasnt supposed to at the buses that Volant are trying to sell!!

Tony

Quote from: Peter123 on July 01, 2012, 12:05:11 PM
I went. Compared to Bammot-not very good at all. Essentially a shed with a couple of buses and stalls-maybe thats because Bammot is an amazing museum to visit/be a member of, but I was far from impressed. More interesting was looking down where I wasnt supposed to at the buses that Volant are trying to sell!!

Give them chance! Their current location isn't even where they are going to end up, well half of it isn't, so they are not going to spend money making it nice yet, but they need open days etc, to keep the money coming in, so that they can make their new home nice.

If their plans do come to fruition as they were described to me I think it might be an excellent way of displaying old vehicles.

PM

Im prepared to give them a chance but it wasnt great compared to Bammot even when it was at Aston Manor let alone now in the middle of an industrial estate.

D10

Whilst the old site at Witton was great in that it was a historic building. I think this larger site does have far more potential to expand. I also heard some people there say there was a lot of interest from the locals at Aldridge who wanted to help, whilst at Witton the community had no interest in the museum.

Ashley

Sort of changing the subject, does anybody know if any WM Metrobuses will appear on sunday at the open day

windy miller

which 'open' day is this then ash? can you give us a clue mate? :)

D10

You can see the website for details of Sunday's event:

http://www.amrtm.org/

windy miller

D10 thanks for the info-I'm guessing they will be using old buses to/from the site-I just hope they have some half-decent weather for a change! 8)

Ashley

Heres hoping, should be a good day all the same

windy miller

well- I went. And ash- NO there were no showpiece wm buses there at all. My first visit to this site-didn't see anything I'd not seen before -made a contribution to the funds-took a few pics-went over to chasewater-took a few pics- came home.  end of. (at least it didn't rain) Some 'visiting' buses were unable to attend for a number of reasons-as I said before I would like to have seen more classic coaches with 'lush' interiors. but thats my preference-  TBH they need money, time, and more importantly, SPACE.  so good luck to them.

Ashley

I went, was abit disappointed by the lack of vehicles on display but as you say, they need time, money and space, was suprised to see the withdrawn Coventry bendybuses parked round the back, some not inside the Volant yard, that sort of made it worthwhile

windy miller

The chasewater site had much more to offer from the enthusiasts point of view- both bus and rail being extremely well supported. There was a chap in the exhibitors hall with his brilliant scale models made entirely from matchsticks and/or cardboard- truly remarkable works of art- worth at least a couple of grand I would have thought. (But not for sale apparently) I tried to take a few Macro shots, with some success, perhaps I could pursuade tony to display One? I didn't catch his name unfortunately.

Ashley

I sort of wanted to go down to chasewater after hearing a conversation about it, the matchstick models do sounds very creative, did any metrobuses turn up at chasewater

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk