News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

'Dump' areas and the 11

Started by 2206, December 29, 2017, 06:44:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

West Bromwich is the Soho Rota 74, 80/A, 48/A, 49, 89, 47

Quote from: MW on January 01, 2018, 04:18:24 PM
The section between Stechford & Erdington on the 11A, without a doubt. Closely followed by Erdington to Bearwood.

City Road is a particular sh*thole come to think of it. Bloody George Dixon School. I'm sure 2900 & the PE drivers on here can relate with the 80/127/8/9.

That's the worst school on the route. Nobody likes the late board that begins at George Dixon on the 11C at about 15:15.
yes bloody George Dixon school nasty as f**k

Quote from: Trident 4194 on January 02, 2018, 02:42:41 PM
Slightly off topic: what routes from each garage are usually for the newbies? From my understanding the longer you work there the more choice of routes you get?
W/B starter rota scrapped a while a go, newbies get Dudley rd plus 120A/127/8 welcome to the party ladies and gentlemen ,fair few newbies started before Christmas

Jack

Quote from: 2900 on January 04, 2018, 09:41:20 AM
W/B starter rota scrapped a while a go, newbies get Dudley rd plus 120A/127/8 welcome to the party ladies and gentlemen
Is the 120A a bad route? Considering its goes through some 'not nice' areas it seems to be quiet. Only ridden it several times so don't know too much about it.

John

Quote from: CL on January 02, 2018, 05:29:32 PM
may be wrong, but iirc, PB's starter routes were 7, 16, 65 & 101

Newbies go on any rota where there is a space. We have never had starter routes

Trident 4194

Quote from: John on January 04, 2018, 02:35:52 PM

Another question do Nx have straight 12 hour Rotas? I know diamond do. Going to be a break in the middle I know

j789

Quote from: Trident 4194 on January 04, 2018, 08:47:20 PM
Another question do Nx have straight 12 hour Rotas? I know diamond do. Going to be a break in the middle I know

Any company with a decent union presence and support (Unite etc) would not have a 12 hour straight rota!

CL

Ah, so I see. :P
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

MasterPlan

Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

West brom did use to  have a starter rota a while back now probably scrapped before you started.

Quote from: j789 on January 04, 2018, 09:43:02 PM
Any company with a decent union presence and support (Unite etc) would not have a 12 hour straight rota!
unite toothless waste of money over all, Union chairman of each garage receives a wage from the company , conflict of interest one could say

Trident 4194

A quick question to drivers:

How many of you have good geographical knowledge of your routes. Only the other day I asked a driver on the PN 9 which bus stop is Best for Portland road, and she said I have no idea I only drive the route. Back in the day I believe drivers were much more aware of Their routes

Quote from: Trident 4194 on January 06, 2018, 08:50:14 PM

How many of you have good geographical knowledge of your routes. Only the other day I asked a driver on the PN 9 which bus stop is Best for Portland road, and she said I have no idea I only drive the route. Back in the day I believe drivers were much more aware of Their routes
Best stop on the 9 for Portland Road - Hagley Road, Portland Road - Outside the Chef & Brewer and the Strathallan Hotel.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

D10

Back in the day I believe drivers were much more aware of Their routes

Possibly because there were more garages in those days closer to a drivers home address? And garages used to run fewer routes, meaning drivers used to get more knowledge of a route?

j789

It's impossible to know every stop name/area on every route. For one thing a lot of passengers (and drivers for that matter) would refer to the same stop by different names, perhaps using a road nearby/ a shop/ a pub etc so that adds confusion for a start. Also, how is it possible to know every side road on each route which is often what you get asked which often aret bus stops or fare stages.

I know NXWM tend to stick to a few routes all the time o perhaps it is slightly more likely their drivers would know the roads but at Worcester I can drive most of our routes, except Hereford contract ones, which cover a massive area from Birmingham to Tewesbury and Evesham. The 144 route is 28 miles long and must have 70+ stops, it shouldn't be realistic to expect a driver who may live in a completely different area themselves to be familiar with every road on a route.

The PN drivers on the 9 may not live anywhere near the route so may not be aware of every side road or landmark so don't be too unrealitic in your expectations, I think we all try to do our best driving. Maybe you should try it out and see how 'easy' it is to remember everything.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk