News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Hagley Road Consultation

Started by sonic84, July 26, 2017, 06:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sonic84

A Hagley Road consultation has appeared on the NX website

http://nxbus.co.uk/west-midlands/information/service-changes/review-of-hagley-road-services-wed-like-your-views

Not as involved as the south Birmingham review and seems to be more focused on express services.

Trident 4194

Basically saying they want more express services yet look at the loadings of the 9 compared to the X10, and you will find the 9 has the better loadings

Westy

Survey Monkey seem to be popular.

Our company also use them for our staff surveys!

BK63 YWP

Honestly I would have the X9 doing the expressway with a X8 (Maybe start that from Hagley?) doing the spies lane then like the x10 along the Hagley Road
The Funny sounding Enviro 400

15 Wolverhampton to Merry Hill
15A Wolverhampton Merry Hill
16 Wolverhampton to Stourbridge

X10 Gornal Wood

Stuharris 6360

This is a consultation that i can comment on.

Once again I find it irritating that they are considering cutting out bus stops. The elderly and disabled are as entitled as anybody else to a reliable bus service that stops at a stop near where they need to go to.

An X9 from Stourbridge to Birmingham would be good, but would it be used from Stourbridge or Lye where there are already quick links into Birmingham via train.

Just my opinion but isn't the Hagley Road to congested by so many different bus routes, surely an attempt should be made to simplify them somewhat?
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Mike K

The idea of more express buses along the Hayley Road and the possibility of using the Expressway is a good one in my opinion. However, I think it would need be be done in conjunction with a much shorter all stops service say between City and Quinton - the original 9 if you like - or possibly Halesowen. People travelling from further out would get a faster bus into the city but local travellers wouldn't be disadvantaged.

Trident 4194

Quote from: Mike K on July 26, 2017, 10:12:12 PM
The idea of more express buses along the Hayley Road and the possibility of using the Expressway is a good one in my opinion. However, I think it would need be be done in conjunction with a much shorter all stops service say between City and Quinton - the original 9 if you like - or possibly Halesowen. People travelling from further out would get a faster bus into the city but local travellers wouldn't be disadvantaged.

The express way that leads on to manor way is highly congested in peaks, which is when majority of passengers would use it, I would even say the current 9 route would be faster than the newly proposed routes in peak hours

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Mike K on July 26, 2017, 10:12:12 PM

Well from the tone of the consultation, the proposed "Sprint" service wasn't mentioned.

Perhaps it might be better to go back to the original services

130 Stourbridge to Birmingham (every 15 mins)
902 Birmingham to Hasbury (Limited Stop Peak Hours)
9     City Centre to Quinton (every few mins)
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

winston

Quote from: Trident 4194 on July 26, 2017, 10:20:38 PM
The express way that leads on to manor way is highly congested in peaks, which is when majority of passengers would use it, I would even say the current 9 route would be faster than the newly proposed routes in peak hours

Every route is congested in the peaks & it's also the route that PN drivers have previously suggested wouldn't work as an express route.

CL

It all does seem to have gone quiet on the 'Sprint' front... I still remember the publicity ads on bus shelters, branding it 'Metro's little sister'.

On another note, I agree with what @Stuharris 6360 says.

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on July 26, 2017, 09:55:50 PM

Once again I find it irritating that they are considering cutting out bus stops. The elderly and disabled are as entitled as anybody else to a reliable bus service that stops at a stop near where they need to go to.

While this point could easily apply to every one of these consultation-type discussions, it is still a strong point to consider. Would reducing the number of stops serve actually make it more beneficial to those who live ON the route than others travelling from either end? In my opinion, the very notion of reducing stops on the Hagley Road is possibly the silliest thing I've heard since, perhaps, the X10. I'm joking.. But in all seriousness, should the Hagley Road services cut out stops then surely it'll reduce the appeal of a "Limited Stop" service. Wasn't that the whole point of the X10? To offer a faster alternative than the 9/140 (- which would serve all the stops along the Hagley Road)? This all seems a tad paradoxical.

sidenote; please excuse my late night blabbering, there may just be a chance that I have no idea what I am on about! :P

edit was for a typo
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

Stuharris 6360

I just wonder how patronage of Limited Stop services compare with all stop services.

Does the X10 actually attract more passengers than the old 141?

winston

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on July 27, 2017, 01:41:29 PM
I just wonder how patronage of Limited Stop services compare with all stop services.

Does the X10 actually attract more passengers than the old 141?

Congestion aside, any limited stop/express service will always be faster than a full stopping service due to making less stops and should attract more passengers due to reduced journey times.

It typically takes me 10mins from M5 island down Manor Way to the next island in the evening peak. Traffic is now also queuing to get on the M5 slip road in the morning peak now the North Bound carriageway has been reduced to 2 lanes as of Tue this week. That's in addition to traffic crawling around McDonalds.

At present, any potential new express routes should go via Mucklow Hill.

Stu

Quote from: Winston on July 27, 2017, 02:14:27 PM
At present, any potential new express routes should go via Mucklow Hill.

Or register them as 'flexi-route', like with the X1, X2, X12 and X70, so drivers can use the fastest route available at the time.  ;D
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

winston

Quote from: Stu on July 27, 2017, 05:56:47 PM
Or register them as 'flexi-route', like with the X1, X2, X12 and X70, so drivers can use the fastest route available at the time.  ;D

Yes - that would be the most beneficial option. Expressway out of peaks Mucklow's Hill in the peaks

Steve3229vp

I would renumber the 120A to 123, make the 126 semi-fast from Bearwood to Birmingham, shorten the 127 to Blackheath only (New 227 or D27 from Blackeath to Dudley), increase the X10 to every 15 minutes.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk