News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

East Birmingham Sevice Changes - 4th June 2017

Started by 2206, April 10, 2017, 03:58:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monkeyjoe

Stu

Quote from: monkeyjoe on May 01, 2017, 09:52:56 AM
I'm loving all this debate. Keep it up.

I agree, its very grown up and sensible, compared to a lot of the childish or tedious stuff that gets posted elsewhere.

And its great that people are considering things from a passengers point of view, rather than an enthusiasts.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

winston

@Stu it's interesting that a large number of the comments on your FB page, point towards passengers losing through routes & having to change buses after the changes are implemented. Also they'll be paying more for being inconvenienced and previous through journeys will take longer. It suggest passengers aren't as willing to change buses as NX seem to think.....

Stu

Quote from: Winston on May 01, 2017, 11:39:33 AM
@Stu it's interesting that a large number of the comments on your FB page, point towards passengers losing through routes & having to change buses after the changes are implemented. Also they'll be paying more for being inconvenienced and previous through journeys will take longer. It suggest passengers aren't as willing to change buses as NX seem to think.....

Exactly, a lot of the changes that are taking place go far beyond the proposals that were initially suggested during the consultation last year.

I would be a hypocrite if I did not admit that there does need to be a radical shake up of the bus network across the whole region, but this must be done with full consultation with travelling passengers, so that wholesale changes benefit the passengers not just the bus operators.

I would be fascinated to read all the responses they received for last years consultation, so I could map them against the changes that are taking place. I've previously mentioned here that for full transparency, this should be the case.
My locals:

andy41

Quote from: Winston on May 01, 2017, 11:39:33 AM

I've just read them all. All the comments are exactly along the lines of what we were saying last week. The very journies we both commented on are exampled by some of the posters and the 'non existent' one way single fare payers are also on there noting that they will now have to pay two fares. Passengers will be lost with these changes, that is a guarantee. If Claribels have any scruples they will extend their 71's through Chelmsley into Kingshurst at least.

winston

Quote from: Stu on May 01, 2017, 12:43:19 PM
Exactly, a lot of the changes that are taking place go far beyond the proposals that were initially suggested during the consultation last year.

I would be a hypocrite if I did not admit that there does need to be a radical shake up of the bus network across the whole region, but this must be done with full consultation with travelling passengers, so that wholesale changes benefit the passengers not just the bus operators.

I would be fascinated to read all the responses they received for last years consultation, so I could map them against the changes that are taking place. I've previously mentioned here that for full transparency, this should be the case.

If they ever want to encourage people to leave their cars at home and take the bus instead, the bus needs to be both frequent & convenient.

Growing passenger numbers by spliting through journies and making the same passengers take two buses instead of the previous one, is cheating......

Brummie45

You can use freedom of information act to gain certain types of information.

However data protection act will protect some information
Current Local Routes 53,94,96 and X12. Nearby routes 55,70,71,71A,99 and X70.

winston

Quote from: andy41 on May 01, 2017, 12:46:12 PM
I've just read them all. All the comments are exactly along the lines of what we were saying last week. The very journies we both commented on are exampled by some of the posters and the 'non existent' one way single fare payers are also on there noting that they will now have to pay two fares. Passengers will be lost with these changes, that is a guarantee. If Claribels have any scruples they will extend their 71's through Chelmsley into Kingshurst at least.

Totally agree on Claribel's extending their 71E to cover the current full route. The withdrawal of the NX 59 is also provoking quite a few negative comments.

There's also potential to re-instate the daytime 55's

Stu

I would propose that if Claribels are choosing to keep their 94 'as-is', they should at least renumber it to 94A.

And the suggestion regarding their 71E seems reasonable, at least by extending it to Kingshurst, and I'd propose they renumber it as 72A instead of 71E.

This would at least show their differentiation from the NX routes, and avoid any further confusion to passengers. What do you think @Steveminor ?
My locals:

Steve3229vp

Quote from: Stu on May 01, 2017, 01:44:57 PM
I would propose that if Claribels are choosing to keep their 94 'as-is', they should at least renumber it to 94A.

And the suggestion regarding their 71E seems reasonable, at least by extending it to Kingshurst, and I'd propose they renumber it as 72A instead of 71E.

This would at least show their differentiation from the NX routes, and avoid any further confusion to passengers. What do you think @Steveminor ?
Why don't Claribels merge there 71E and 94 as a 95 at a frequency of every 15 mins and include there peak-period 55 to and from Solihull as 93.

Kevin

Quote from: andy41 on May 01, 2017, 12:46:12 PM
The very journies we both commented on are exampled by some of the posters and the 'non existent' one way single fare payers are also on there noting that they will now have to pay two fares. Passengers will be lost with these changes, that is a guarantee

But with that same logic passengers will also be gained, through other journey opportunities created. People who buy single tickets can't really be in any way indicative of mass travel on a particular route, because by nature of having to buy that single ticket they're unlikely to be doing that journey on a regular basis

I'm not entirely saying that these changes are completely warranted or necessary but at the same time I would point out that previous attempts at keeping a route because of public uproar have resulted in a "use it or lose it" ultimatum, and oh look, people haven't used it.
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

andy41

Quote from: Kevin on May 01, 2017, 02:01:59 PM
But with that same logic passengers will also be gained, through other journey opportunities created. People who buy single tickets can't really be in any way indicative of mass travel on a particular route, because by nature of having to buy that single ticket they're unlikely to be doing that journey on a regular basis

I'm not entirely saying that these changes are completely warranted or necessary but at the same time I would point out that previous attempts at keeping a route because of public uproar have resulted in a "use it or lose it" ultimatum, and oh look, people haven't used it.

I appreciate the perspective, but please explain what alternative journey opportunities are opened up in particular as a result of the 71/72/966/59 alterations? As I can't see any other than being able to travel beyond Erdington to Kingstanding, not a deal breaker in the East of Birmingham I would suggest.

Your assertion that people making one way journies don't do so regularly is quite wrong I'm afraid, many do it daily and that is precisely why they don't purchase weekly passes as it is not worth their while. In any case the basic premise of encouraging public transport is to make it as quick, efficient, cost effective and convenient as possible and these changes achieve the complete opposite all round.

In terms of use it or lose it, it doesn't apply here. Stand in Chelmsley Wood and watch the 71, 72 and 966 arrive and depart and note for yourself the number of passengers that don't alight in order to travel through. Either NX aren't aware of this due to poor data processing and gathering, or as is more likely they are so desperate to save vehicles and rationalise depot territories that they simply don't care about it. 

monkeyjoe

http://northsolihullnews.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/overhaul-changes-take-effect-in-just.html

Not gone down to well on here. I'd be interested to see if the x12 will serve park field estate . Seems a bit drastic to have a daytime service of 1 bus an hour on that estate to the city. No links to fox and goose either can't see that going down well.

Jack D

monkeyjoe

X70 one bus per hour off peak. Just waiting to see what other routes will serve the area

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk