News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Service Changes 23/04/2017

Started by 2206, March 01, 2017, 04:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu

Quote from: BigDaddyCool on March 03, 2017, 11:30:15 PM
I presume the 48A is a new service.... any idea where this will be going?

The proposal can be found here:
http://nxbus.co.uk/west-midlands/information/service-changes/west-bromwich-bearwood-oldbury-blackheath-consultation-

Quote from: Sh4318 on March 03, 2017, 10:24:39 PM
No-one is going to use the 89 to West Bromwich over the faster 48/A. Speaking from my area of course

Which area? If there is a faster bus from your area to West Brom then you're free to use that instead. Bus routes aren't about the end-to-end, but the connecting up of the bits inbetween.

I always groan when I hear comments like "no-one is going to travel from Birmingham to Blackheath on the 89, when the 140 is much quicker" etc, because the people making these kinds of comments are always missing the point. Passengers are not expected to travel the full length of the route, but to be using the parts that are important to them. And it is better for the operator to have a flow of passengers getting on and off along the route.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

BigDaddyCool

Thanks for that....

Do you know the current plans for the x64?

Sh4318

Quote from: Stu on March 04, 2017, 08:46:23 AM
The proposal can be found here:
http://nxbus.co.uk/west-midlands/information/service-changes/west-bromwich-bearwood-oldbury-blackheath-consultation-

Which area? If there is a faster bus from your area to West Brom then you're free to use that instead. Bus routes aren't about the end-to-end, but the connecting up of the bits inbetween.

I always groan when I hear comments like "no-one is going to travel from Birmingham to Blackheath on the 89, when the 140 is much quicker" etc, because the people making these kinds of comments are always missing the point. Passengers are not expected to travel the full length of the route, but to be using the parts that are important to them. And it is better for the operator to have a flow of passengers getting on and off along the route.

I'm referring to people in my area, being close to the Queens Head, who wouldn't use the 89 over the faster and more frequent 48/A, which was my point.
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Sh4318

Quote from: BigDaddyCool on March 03, 2017, 11:30:15 PM
I presume the 48A is a new service.... any idea where this will be going?
Also, what are the changes with the x64 as this already goes via the hospital..... i kind of hope that's changing and it won't serve it anymore.

I'm not too sure what I make of the 48A. But I'm all for upping the frequency of the 48

Stu

Quote from: Sh4318 on March 04, 2017, 05:56:21 PM
I'm referring to people in my area, being close to the Queens Head, who wouldn't use the 89 over the faster and more frequent 48/A, which was my point.

I understand your point now, and you are correct; I used to live near the Queens Head (on Basons Lane), and back in the day I used to have to travel to West Bromwich, so would either catch the 447 or 448 from the Queens Head or the 449 from the Merrivale. With the chopping and changing of routes there, Queens Head locals have been spoiled for choice recently, what with buses to Merry Hill etc.

Yes, the 48/48A might be faster, but if you've just missed one, the 89 would still be an attractive route if it is timed to arrive just after the 48 - it might take a little longer but a passenger spends less time waiting in the cold for the next bus.

You could also argue that no-one from the Queens Head area would use the 89 to get to Birmingham, again if you've just missed a 120 and an 89 turns up just after, the slightly longer journey time beats having to wait for the next 120.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Sh4318

Quote from: Stu on March 04, 2017, 06:22:41 PM
I understand your point now, and you are correct; I used to live near the Queens Head (on Basons Lane), and back in the day I used to have to travel to West Bromwich, so would either catch the 447 or 448 from the Queens Head or the 449 from the Merrivale. With the chopping and changing of routes there, Queens Head locals have been spoiled for choice recently, what with buses to Merry Hill etc.

Yes, the 48/48A might be faster, but if you've just missed one, the 89 would still be an attractive route if it is timed to arrive just after the 48 - it might take a little longer but a passenger spends less time waiting in the cold for the next bus.

You could also argue that no-one from the Queens Head area would use the 89 to get to Birmingham, again if you've just missed a 120 and an 89 turns up just after, the slightly longer journey time beats having to wait for the next 120.

The 447/448 ran perfectly for years in my opinion. The 48 & 120 are the area's most successful routes.

The 46/50A/50C & 89 seem to struggle/get changed all the time.

They certainly have. Direct services to Merry Hill, Blackheath, Sandwell Hospital. Although looking back, the former was a bit of a novelty.

That is a good point, I guess I  do have a soft spot for the 89, with the bus stop being just round the corner from me, even though I'm driving these days, I just think the 89 will be so indirect to West Brom that you'd prefer to wait 15 minutes for the 48, but like you said, it depends on the timings. I do see the scope for sending it to West Bromwich, they're basically replacing the 50A/C, maintains the links to West Brom.

That is also true, the 120 is a much more attractive proposition, probably the reason the Oldbury to Blackheath section of the 89 is being tagged onto the 120.

MasterPlan

Yet more messing around with the X64 I see. What is it this time? And will it still keep the X if it's not going to be Limited Stop anymore?

Additionally why is the X64 being altered when the South West review isn't for ages?
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

monkeyjoe

I thought this was going to be the date of the launch of the East Brum review. Wondering if anything will be happening.

Gareth

Quote from: monkeyjoe on March 05, 2017, 04:18:13 PM
I thought this was going to be the date of the launch of the East Brum review. Wondering if anything will be happening.

A review doesn't always mean changes. Maybe it was reviewed and the current situation works? Good that they  ever just introduced earlier and later running 94's from the city centre.

Quote from: Gareth on March 05, 2017, 07:15:14 PM
A review doesn't always mean changes. Maybe it was reviewed and the current situation works? Good that they  ever just introduced earlier and later running 94's from the city centre.
NX said the proposed changes are under review and due to be implemented in Spring 2017 @Gareth.
https://www.facebook.com/nxwestmidlands/posts/1409780039067026?comment_tracking=%7B%22tn%22%3A%22O%22%7D

Also the 966 isn't on the platinum page even though its now had 6701 - 10 for quite a while and AG have more platinums than needed for the 966, so many are on the 1 (Tony said for the moment about 3 should be on the 1 everyday) and appear elcewere everyday, suggesting something is changing.
http://nxbus.co.uk/platinum/
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

MW

Quote from: 2206 on March 05, 2017, 07:47:38 PM
NX said the proposed changes are under review and due to be implemented in Spring 2017 @Gareth.
https://www.facebook.com/nxwestmidlands/posts/1409780039067026?comment_tracking=%7B%22tn%22%3A%22O%22%7D

Also the 966 isn't on the platinum page even though its now had 6701 - 10 for quite a while and AG have more platinums than needed for the 966, so many are on the 1 (Tony said for the moment about 3 should be on the 1 everyday) and appear elcewere everyday, suggesting something is changing.
http://nxbus.co.uk/platinum/

The 966 won't be the 966 for long

AndrewLee

Heard today, reliably informed, the X64 will follow the 98 route City - QE to make up for the loss of the 99 on that section!

Mike K

Quote from: AndrewLee on March 11, 2017, 12:41:31 AM
Heard today, reliably informed, the X64 will follow the 98 route City - QE to make up for the loss of the 99 on that section!

And will presumably become the 64?

Feels like things have come full circle:
21 is unreliable so replaced by X64 between City and Selly Oak
99 is unreliable so replaced by a diverted X64 between city and QE.
Doesn't that create an unreliable X64?

sonic84

Quote from: AndrewLee on March 11, 2017, 12:41:31 AM

I had thought was what would happen. They are both conveniently every 20 minutes serving the hospital, and the X61 covers the Bristol road, link that the X64 currently uses.

Does feel like everything has come full circle though like Mike K says.

Birmingham - Five Ways - QE Hospital - Selly Oak - Weoley Castle - Bangham Pit - Bartley Green.... Sounds familiar!

Trident 4194

Quote from: Mike K on March 11, 2017, 09:24:30 AM
And will presumably become the 64?

Feels like things have come full circle:
21 is unreliable so replaced by X64 between City and Selly Oak
99 is unreliable so replaced by a diverted X64 between city and QE.
Doesn't that create an unreliable X64?

Agreed surely this will then make x64 unreliable??

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk