News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Areas not linked together before deregulation

Started by Westy, January 28, 2017, 11:12:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westy

Had a mini trip out today, Bloxwich to Wolves, Wolves to Bilston, then Bilston to Walsall.

It struck me, until after deregulation, there was no direct, without changing on route, service between Walsall & Bilston until Chase Buses introduced their 6 in the 90's.

Previously you would have to change at Darlaston.

Was there any reason why WMPTE didnt consider a Walsall to Bilston direct route before deregulation?

Would it have been down to historic area boundaries or some other reason?

Has there been any other route in the same situation?

Walsall1955

I expect that there might have been a concern that a Walsall - Darlaston - Bilston service would have abstracted revenue from service 79.
The missing link Walsall - Darlaston - Bilston was in fact recognised by Midland Red North with minibus service 3 introduced in early 1987.

Another missng link was Clayhanger to Walsall - WMPTE had begrudgingly subsidised Wickson to operate an infrequent Clayhanger & Brownhills local service (384) pre dreregulation - but no link to Walsall (presumably as it might have abstracted from other WMPTE services in the area) - it fell to Chase Coaches to introduce service 362 to fulfil Clayhanger passenger needs after deregulation.

Westy

Must admit I forgot about MRN's Service 3, in fact I did catch it the once coming back from an interview at what was Walsall Itec back in 1987.

Surely the Clayhanger situation was due to a bridge at one end?

Didnt Chase have a minibus to operate the 362 originally?

Kevin

Could it not just be as simple as the fact that Bilston is in Wolverhampton and Darlaston is in Walsall, so local traffic wasn't really deemed necessary?
Was there ever a service from Walsall to Wednesfield then? Because that'd be a similar situation
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Walsall1955

Clayhanger had two "problem" bridges, the low railway bridge that still exists today near Pelsall Road dictating single deck operation (or ultra low height DDs), here it is in 1990 early days of the 362:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/walsall1955/4645911062/in/photolist-85xvuS-dvmcLD-9y9Gmu-81VVX9-81VVXq

At the Lindon Road end when the 362 started there was a hump back single carriageway canal bridge controlled by traffic lights which was passable by Leyland Nationals and Leyland Leopards.  I can't recall Chase running any minibuses on the 362.

Solo1

Quote from: Westy on January 29, 2017, 04:20:52 PM
Must admit I forgot about MRN's Service 3, in fact I did catch it the once coming back from an interview at what was Walsall Itec back in 1987.

Surely the Clayhanger situation was due to a bridge at one end?

Didnt Chase have a minibus to operate the 362 originally?
I think they had a blue one in coach livery I know towards the end they had 2 metroriders

Westy

Quote from: Kevin on January 29, 2017, 06:55:17 PM
Could it not just be as simple as the fact that Bilston is in Wolverhampton and Darlaston is in Walsall, so local traffic wasn't really deemed necessary?
Was there ever a service from Walsall to Wednesfield then? Because that'd be a similar situation

No there wasnt.

Point taken.

paulb1973

I don't recall a Coventry to Kenilworth & Leamington Spa service pre-1986. The 12/112 etc coming a few years later in the early or mid 90s. The link remains today.

Ian Hardy

Quote from: paulb1973 on January 30, 2017, 01:13:35 PM
I don't recall a Coventry to Kenilworth & Leamington Spa service pre-1986. The 12/112 etc coming a few years later in the early or mid 90s. The link remains today.

Before 26/10/1986 WMPTE would have had objections from a certain operator called Midland Red (& MRS after 06/09/1981) if it wanted to operate a Coventry to Kenilworth & Leamington Spa service, because MR had served that route for many years.

Bob

What about areas not linked together since deregulation.  Hednesford & Dudley is one ( the old 301) did this change just before Oct 1986?

Walsall1955

Quote from: Bob on January 31, 2017, 10:50:42 PM
What about areas not linked together since deregulation.  Hednesford & Dudley is one ( the old 301) did this change just before Oct 1986?
The Hednesford - Walsall - Dudley link was withdrawn sometime before deregulation (split into separate services terminating in Walsall) - one factor that contributed to the link being withdrawn was the pedestrianisation of The Bridge in Walsall (so buses could no longer travel directly from Bradford Pace to Park Street or St Pauls Street).

Bob

Yea I read that somewhere.  It was definitely in 86 tho when it changed

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk