News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Operational Improvements

Started by GeminiFan1991, July 25, 2016, 09:33:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeminiFan1991

I thought I'll this create this thread with a view to let member voice improvements they think NX could improve on from an operational (I.e. how they run buses). Such things include routes moving between between garages or routes interworking to joint garages although I'm not a mod, I'd like to say route changes shouldn't be included in this thread (Their are ample threads which have created).

My entry: currently speaking most routes are currently managed by 1 garage which is located not too far away from the route but would it be feasible on a number of garages having a number of boards for a route if it reduces dead mileage ? I.e. To my knowledge all 11A/C boards are managed by AG, this includes boards which start/ terminate in Perry Barr, Kings Heath, Dudley Road etc.... but what I'm proposing those boards which start & terminate on the other side of the city (i.e. Bearwood, Dudley Road) could be taken on by WB. The same also applies to those boards which start & end in Perry Barr. You get the general gist of what I'm saying, It sounds awfully complicated and probably impractical if everything is taken into account but I hope you get my idea.
For that matter, wouldn't CV be better off handling a few 900 boards which start and end in Coventry ? It may mean lending a Platinum or 2 over but wouldn't it save running a bus dead between the 2 cities ?

P.S. I have my eyes on a role with NX based at the HQ based within the operations department, so ensuing exchange of ideas will surely help !
Please check out my Bus Photos @

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128406405@N06/

j789

Interesting thread. I think the 900 route dead mileage would now be sorted by it going 24 hour as the buses can run back in service perhaps. The 11 used to be split between mainly AG and PB but other garages also had buses on the route such as Hockley which you would have thought would have made more sense splitting such a long route.
Clearly, closing garages and having to move services elsewhere has meant that space restrictions at other garages meant that such decisions needed to be taken. Perhaps the cost of keeping Hockley open was not worth it but I do think it was a mistake to close that garage as it put a lot of pressure on BC and PB particularly. Also, it was a fairly central garage in Birmingham so could have operated a variety of routes terminating in the city centre, like it did with the Harborne 21/29/103 routes. Whoever sorted out that movement of routes I hope got a pay rise as it must have been a difficult undertaking with so many different routes involved. Still, I think if they had kept that open logistically things would have been easier. However, like I said earlier, no doubt cost was the reason for shutting it which is a shame!

GeminiFan1991

Quote from: j789 on July 25, 2016, 10:49:51 PM
Interesting thread. I think the 900 route dead mileage would now be sorted by it going 24 hour as the buses can run back in service perhaps. The 11 used to be split between mainly AG and PB but other garages also had buses on the route such as Hockley which you would have thought would have made more sense splitting such a long route.
Clearly, closing garages and having to move services elsewhere has meant that space restrictions at other garages meant that such decisions needed to be taken. Perhaps the cost of keeping Hockley open was not worth it but I do think it was a mistake to close that garage as it put a lot of pressure on BC and PB particularly. Also, it was a fairly central garage in Birmingham so could have operated a variety of routes terminating in the city centre, like it did with the Harborne 21/29/103 routes. Whoever sorted out that movement of routes I hope got a pay rise as it must have been a difficult undertaking with so many different routes involved. Still, I think if they had kept that open logistically things would have been easier. However, like I said earlier, no doubt cost was the reason for shutting it which is a shame!

I suppose that helps the night services but the day boards still have that problem.

As for the 11, my thinking was journeys that end around the west part of the circle could be taken on by WB and those in the north by PB and east could be facilitated by AG south YW ? or you could......... transfer the whole route to BC !!  ???

From an operational aspect unless the returns were huge, having so many depots running is a financial drain. In some senses the closing down of Lea Hall and Hockley was good as it allowed NX to consolidate their operations. I don't know the figures but its cheaper to run 1 garage than 2 especially if it has space to accommodate the extra vehicles.

Tony

Quote from: GeminiFan1991 on July 25, 2016, 11:12:30 PM
I suppose that helps the night services but the day boards still have that problem.

As for the 11, my thinking was journeys that end around the west part of the circle could be taken on by WB and those in the north by PB and east could be facilitated by AG south YW ? or you could......... transfer the whole route to BC !!  ???

From an operational aspect unless the returns were huge, having so many depots running is a financial drain. In some senses the closing down of Lea Hall and Hockley was good as it allowed NX to consolidate their operations. I don't know the figures but its cheaper to run 1 garage than 2 especially if it has space to accommodate the extra vehicles.

And where  at BC or WB would you park the  buses?

How much travelling time would you need to pay the Drivers?

B10L1473

Three used to be a lot of garage sharing routes during 1990s

11A AG 11C PB
78/79 WB/HY/WN
966 HY/WA
900 AG/CV

Seems today garages want full control of the route so no garage sharing.

Dom

Quote from: GeminiFan1991 on July 25, 2016, 11:12:30 PM

Just because a board finishes at a certain part of the route doesn't mean it starts there which then means it costs extra. Relief points, where are each garage going to have their relief and what if other garages buses pass, most drivers don't take note as to which garage a certain fleet number is. Not only that  but WB has two relief points,  Oldbury and West Bromwich, these aren't on the circle, causing extra cost to the company.

winston

Quote from: Tony on July 26, 2016, 06:26:36 AM

And where  at BC or WB would you park the  buses?

How much travelling time would you need to pay the Drivers?

Aren't AG & YW also at or very near capacity. I expect the garages with spare capacity in quantity would be WA & WN, plus there is the reserve fleet yard at PN

JoNi

Putting routes in one garage is more likely a silo based mentality based around allocation of costs than efficient utilisation of resources for the benefit of intending travellers!
Some 900s that finish in Coventry 100 yards from an NX garage run dead back to Birmingham!
Don't be fooled when leaders talk about green credentials!

Dom

Quote from: JoNi on July 26, 2016, 11:21:04 AM
Putting routes in one garage is more likely a silo based mentality based around allocation of costs than efficient utilisation of resources for the benefit of intending travellers!
Some 900s that finish in Coventry 100 yards from an NX garage run dead back to Birmingham!

TBH I'm surprised that there are 900 boards that finish at CV

Tony

Quote from: JoNi on July 26, 2016, 11:21:04 AM

But if that board starts in Birmingham then moving it to Coventry would save nothing but cost more in additional training costs

JoNi

But it would deliver improved resiliance as witnessed by the 900 that was cancelled recently. Waiting for NX response to complaint but still in 10 day timeframe given.

paulb1973

Quote from: B10L1473 on July 26, 2016, 08:18:31 AM
Three used to be a lot of garage sharing routes during 1990s

11A AG 11C PB
78/79 WB/HY/WN
966 HY/WA
900 AG/CV

Seems today garages want full control of the route so no garage sharing.

I thought Coventry's operation of the 900 (circa 1995-2000) was done without the assistance of AG garage? - and the same but roles reversed when Acocks Green took over the running of it later [whenever that was].

AG/WT did jointly operate the 192-194 group of services between Coventry & Solihull for quite a while though.

GeminiFan1991

Quote from: Tony on July 26, 2016, 12:14:07 PM
But if that board starts in Birmingham then moving it to Coventry would save nothing but cost more in additional training costs

Couldn't that board be reworked so it ends in Birmingham ?

I remember being outside YW on  Sunday evening and bus waiting to be fueled were queuing up to the Shell Garage by the island just down the road which I found surprising for a Sunday when bus requirement is at it's least. I spoke to a YW driver and he mentioned during the week, buses can can queue as far down as Warstock Road. Isn't their a way this could be fixed ?

MW

Quote from: GeminiFan1991 on July 26, 2016, 03:39:51 PM
Couldn't that board be reworked so it ends in Birmingham ?

I remember being outside YW on  Sunday evening and bus waiting to be fueled were queuing up to the Shell Garage by the island just down the road which I found surprising for a Sunday when bus requirement is at it's least. I spoke to a YW driver and he mentioned during the week, buses can can queue as far down as Warstock Road. Isn't their a way this could be fixed ?

Lol that reminds me of the time I pushed in the queue at AG hahaha. There was approx 25-30 buses waiting on Summer Road and inside the garage tunnel. There's three lanes in the tunnel. Two for queueing up for the pumps, and one for vehicles coming out. I managed to find a gap and went all the way down the one way bit and managed to cut into the front. Head engineer came to "tell me off" and reverse out. I said, sorry I'm RTA'd, see you tomorrow. Lmfao that was hilarious

GeminiFan1991

Quote from: MW on July 26, 2016, 03:46:50 PM
Lol that reminds me of the time I pushed in the queue at AG hahaha. There was approx 25-30 buses waiting on Summer Road and inside the garage tunnel. There's three lanes in the tunnel. Two for queueing up for the pumps, and one for vehicles coming out. I managed to find a gap and went all the way down the one way bit and managed to cut into the front. Head engineer came to "tell me off" and reverse out. I said, sorry I'm RTA'd, see you tomorrow. Lmfao that was hilarious

Talk about the queue, I'm surprised NX haven't received complaints about this. 

Can't garages have an internal queuing system were they they queue within the garage before it becomes packed and then towards the late evening when most buses are in the garage and traffic on the road is low, they can queue back outside ? 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk