News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Low Emissions Bus Scheme

Started by the trainbasher, July 25, 2016, 01:01:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Tony on July 27, 2016, 02:58:59 PM
That is basically the principle yes, instead of storing energy in batteries like the current hybrids, they store in in flywheels

Wasn't the Parry People Mover originally supposed to use similar technology?
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Tony

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on July 27, 2016, 03:05:06 PM

Not supposed to, The class 139 does.

monkeyjoe

More new buses for the west of the city; what a surprise

Mike K

Quote from: monkeyjoe on July 27, 2016, 06:31:10 PM
More new buses for the west of the city; what a surprise

And those 10 new Wrightbus Hybrids would upgrade all of the 22, 23 and 24 to full hybrid operation just nicely  ;)

(Disclaimer - I have no idea which routes these are for, or even how many decks they have)

monkeyjoe

To be fair it is Broad Street they are already overdue newer buses and as minimum should have another branding overhaul.

Tiptonian

I have always felt the Parry's People Mover to be one of the greatest missed opportunity in modern transport history. Totally ignored in favour of more complex and expensive systems, it quietly continues its daily work. This local company should have received more attention from the leading local transport provider.

The use of 10 Gyro-drive vehicles by a company with such a high profile as NXWM is most welcome. This technology will hopefully lead to hybrid vehicles becoming cheap and reliable enough for companies to buy them by choice as standard, rather than depending on large government subsidies. Are there any other flywheel buses in service in Britain, or is this to be a "first" for NXWM?

Tony

Quote from: Tiptonian on July 27, 2016, 06:51:13 PM
I have always felt the Parry's People Mover to be one of the greatest missed opportunity in modern transport history. Totally ignored in favour of more complex and expensive systems, it quietly continues its daily work. This local company should have received more attention from the leading local transport provider.

The use of 10 Gyro-drive vehicles by a company with such a high profile as NXWM is most welcome. This technology will hopefully lead to hybrid vehicles becoming cheap and reliable enough for companies to buy them by choice as standard, rather than depending on large government subsidies. Are there any other flywheel buses in service in Britain, or is this to be a "first" for NXWM?

I don't know of any others yet, but I have heard Alexander Dennis are going to offer it as an option as well as Wrights

Tiptonian

Kevin

Sure I've seen a YouTube clip somewhere of a flywheel bus
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Tony

Quote from: Kevin on July 27, 2016, 07:06:12 PM
Sure I've seen a YouTube clip somewhere of a flywheel bus

There are some built, but I don't know of any in use in the UK

BK63 YWP

The Funny sounding Enviro 400

15 Wolverhampton to Merry Hill
15A Wolverhampton Merry Hill
16 Wolverhampton to Stourbridge

X10 Gornal Wood

MasterPlan

Quote from: Bham Central Driver on July 25, 2016, 10:39:18 PM
The 22, 23, 24 and 29 could do with more Hybrid buses. The current ones arnt enough, there's plenty of Tridents appearing on there daily and 21xx single deckers, not to mention E400, it has become a bit of a mixed bag. I know originally the Hybrids were just for the 22 and 23, but it would  be good to 'standardise'  the Harborne routes as a whole.

I agree with this. Too many single deckers appearing. Especially during rush hour and they end up packed.
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

Eric Shaw

Searching through the websites on the Gyrodrive hybrid power system shows Alexander Dennis supplied 14 buses with the system to Go ahead for the Oxford Brookes university services in 2014, and also that the Optare Metrodecker OM1 is fitted with the drive. This is on trial in London.

Eric Shaw

According to Bus and Coach weekly [page 6] GKN has put the Gyrodrive on hold. Is this the system which is supposed to be for the 10 hybrids on order for next year.

Walsall1955

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on July 27, 2016, 03:05:06 PM
Here's a 1998 photo of John Parry explaining his flywheel energy storage system:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/walsall1955/4645355305/in/photolist-9qY9zQ-85uEhR-85uEhH-8o3Rzi-8o3RzB-8o3Rzc-8o3Rzk-8o3Rzr-8o3RzD
We were told that there two potential ways that the flywheel would be charged up - either a Ford car engine or electrical points at stations.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk