News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

WEST MIDLANDS TRANSPORT SYSTEM

Started by dayvid, June 19, 2012, 09:36:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dayvid

Im sorry guys but i am going to rant.

*Why is our Transport System so rubbish?

How has manchester got a better network than us, i recommend everyone to go there for the day and have a look at Manchester. Birmingham is clearly not the second city.
I love Birmingham but it gets me mad at how it is left behind.

Rant Over.

richie

It has to be said we have got a very poor network cheap and good buses but we should be beating these other areas and trying to follow londons lead on a smaller scale obviously

Ashley

After reading the article on Stagecoach Manchester in this months issue of Buses magazine. I probably would go and see if its all that good. However I would also like to do a long distance run

winston

Manchester does have a good tram network, however, First Manchester's fleet leaves a lot to be desired. FM has been hauled over the coals by Beverley Bell (NW Traffic Commissioner) on a number of occasions, to the extent that First will be introducing 200 new buses to the area over the next 18 months to help improve standards and get her off their case. 100 new double deckers will join the fleet after use at the Olympics

Ashley

Don't First Manchester have similar problems with vandalism and anti social behaviour or is it just vehicle maintenance and an ageing fleet thats the problem

dayvid

I would recommend any one to take a trip up there. The shopping center is good too. Manchester is a connected city, everything seems so smooth running, and Bluebird. They have 2 main Bus Hubs Piccadilly gardens and Shudehill Interchange. Both areas which have direct tram stops. Rail Stations we have Piccadilly and Victoria also both accessible by tram.

If anyone wants to go on the cheap i recommend using www.megabus.com which uses the shudehill interchange and has a travel shop there for all local connections.

D10

If you aren't happy with the West Midlands, try going out into the shires. Generally there is no integrated tickets, variable standards of publicity and whole areas now no longer served by the so called network operator with their area tickets. As someone now living in Worcestershire, the West Midlands is lucky believe me.

monkeyjoe

I guess the main point is that, West Midlands contains Birmingham. Which as we all know is the 2nd second city and really should have a transport infastructure to reflect 2nd city status.

I would have to agree places like Nottingham and Leeds  "appear" to have better public transport options.

At this moment in time I would have to agree it does not. However hopefully when they are able to bring life to a whole new tram network and HS2 etc, things should improve significantly.

Bob

Totally off subject but why does Birmingham have NO council run public toilets ive been waiting for a bus loads of times theres none!! the only ones recently were in stephenson place under the ramp and theyve bloody just shut them after months of just the Ladies being open. birmingham council are a joke!!

nx4737

Quote from: Ashley on June 19, 2012, 10:40:07 PM
Don't First Manchester have similar problems with vandalism and anti social behaviour or is it just vehicle maintenance and an ageing fleet thats the problem

Probably yes, last time I used a First Manchester Gemini most of the seats had burn marks on the back, just like here...

Badger

The transport system might look bad compared to Manchester (I won't comment, because I don't know), but if you take Manchester out of the picture I still wouldn't call it a bad system. I guess it depends where in the WM you live. I've always thought North-West Wolverhampton could do with some train stations (at Pendeford, Oxley, and possibly Wolverhampton Business Park), and Dudley needs some heavy or light rail connections, but other than that and with regards to bus transport we have it pretty good compared to our near neighbours South Staffordshire and etc. Simple things like taking the 255 from Wolverhampton to Merry Hill, which leaves the county for a while, and seeing all bus information peter out is pretty telling of how much better we have it.. and don't even try getting a bus to Brewood (often 20 minutes early on an hourly bus...)
My local's the 3 and 63.
Casual bus user. Doesn't know much other than some buses look nicer than others.
Contractual web developer, self employed game designer/programmer, Wolverhampton bjorn and bread.

Bob

Yep the Staffordshire network is pants! Given how Cannock is on the fringe of the West Midlands the difference is shocking

monkeyjoe

I think I was reading in the paper yesterday that London is the only place that bus travel is growing  (doubling) i think it said, whilst the other metropol's it is falling since deregulation. Think this emphasises the point.

Ashley

I went to Manchester yesterday. I got a tad lost im not ashamed to admit. I only stuck to Stagecoach buses and the south Manchester arEA WHICH i Was vaguely familiar with, but the difference compared to the West Midlands is quite suprising. Some parts of the WM network are good I do admit, but every other road in the whole area seems to have bus stops and regular services, good loads, some of Stagecoachs Magic Bus services did have some graffiti, even sampled a hybrid Enviro400 which was near to silent from the upper deck. First and Arriva looked abit second rate, running Darts and Scanias

dayvid

Quote from: Ashley on June 23, 2012, 11:10:59 PM
I went to Manchester yesterday. I got a tad lost im not ashamed to admit. I only stuck to Stagecoach buses and the south Manchester arEA WHICH i Was vaguely familiar with, but the difference compared to the West Midlands is quite suprising. Some parts of the WM network are good I do admit, but every other road in the whole area seems to have bus stops and regular services, good loads, some of Stagecoachs Magic Bus services did have some graffiti, even sampled a hybrid Enviro400 which was near to silent from the upper deck. First and Arriva looked abit second rate, running Darts and Scanias

did you venture on to the trams ? Glad you went and had a look mate. I havnt been on the magic buses tho, even tho i work for stagey im clueless about them.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk