News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

National Express Buses To Accept Contactless Payment

Started by Stuharris 6360, June 29, 2016, 06:45:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuharris 6360

According to a report on Midlands Today, National Express are to start accepting contactless payement, starting with a route in Coventry early next year.

What is worrying is the attitude of one of the people interviewed who was virtually saying that payment by cash should no longer be accepted, surely Birmingham can't go like London!
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Stu

It's only a matter of time, and I'm pretty sure most operators would be keen to eliminate cash fares - saves people having to count the coins in the vaults at the end of the day, plus eliminates 'sticky-fingered' drivers pocketing a bit of cash here and there...

But first I'd like to see some stats from Centro on the uptake and usage of SWIFT cards - I've witnessed people tapping cards on the reader, presumably season ticket holders, but I've yet to see anyone tap a card on the reader and be issued a ticket (for pay-as-you-go).

The rise of contactless payments, and Apple Pay, is not to be ignored, and anything that encourages new passengers to use public transport (ie by not having to find the correct change!) should be welcomed.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

vinh1000

Quote from: Stu on June 29, 2016, 06:52:23 PM
It's only a matter of time, and I'm pretty sure most operators would be keen to eliminate cash fares - saves people having to count the coins in the vaults at the end of the day, plus eliminates 'sticky-fingered' drivers pocketing a bit of cash here and there...

But first I'd like to see some stats from Centro on the uptake and usage of SWIFT cards - I've witnessed people tapping cards on the reader, presumably season ticket holders, but I've yet to see anyone tap a card on the reader and be issued a ticket (for pay-as-you-go).

The rise of contactless payments, and Apple Pay, is not to be ignored, and anything that encourages new passengers to use public transport (ie by not having to find the correct change!) should be welcomed.
I use the Swift PAYG every day as only 90p for city hop then but not witnessed anyone since using PAYG or even season tickets tbh
Vinny - frequent bus traveller :-)

HELEN - http://mb-web.co.uk/heleninstaller_3.3.msi
Manual:
Mobitec: http://mb-web.co.uk/MIE.zip

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Stu on June 29, 2016, 06:52:23 PM

Whilst I agree with what you say, surely you can't force people to have contactless cards, plus some of the poorest people in our society don't even have a bank account.  Sadly these points were made to TFL when they erradicated cash payments, and there attitude, couldn't care less.

If they want to erradicate cash, then the take up of SWIFT must be around the same percentage as OYSTER is in London.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Tony

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on June 29, 2016, 06:58:21 PM
Whilst I agree with what you say, surely you can't force people to have contactless cards, plus some of the poorest people in our society don't even have a bank account.  Sadly these points were made to TFL when they erradicated cash payments, and there attitude, couldn't care less.

If they want to erradicate cash, then the take up of SWIFT must be around the same percentage as OYSTER is in London.

Don't agree with your statemement about the poorest in society not having bank accounts, other than people living on the streets begging, as ALL benefits now have to be paid direct into an account, this includes unemployment, sickness, disability and working tax credit, and I cannot see that many of the 'poorest' don't claim at least one of those

monkeyjoe

About time really, get with the times. So much less hassle in London but there is a flat fare structure here.

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Tony on June 29, 2016, 07:04:59 PM
Don't agree with your statemement about the poorest in society not having bank accounts, other than people living on the streets begging, as ALL benefits now have to be paid direct into an account, this includes unemployment, sickness, disability and working tax credit, and I cannot see that many of the 'poorest' don't claim at least one of those

YES, but why should people be FORCED to use Swift or contactless payment if they don't want to.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/22/millions-of-travellers-could-be-stranded-under-plans-for-every-b/

Tony

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on June 29, 2016, 07:29:24 PM
YES, but why should people be FORCED to use Swift or contactless payment if they don't want to.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/22/millions-of-travellers-could-be-stranded-under-plans-for-every-b/

Why should people have been forced to use dirty coins and notes on buses for the last 100 years?

monkeyjoe

I'm sure people didn't want to use holes in the wall or banks back in the day.   

Hayley1985

I've not long joined the world of Swift and i love it. No more trying to find change, no more going to the corner shop to buy something i didn't need, just to get change. I can't wait to see contactless payment become more widely used.

GeminiFan1991

In terms of convenience, I'd say its on the same level as a Bus Pass, as they're both equally quick and easy to use, if anything a Pass is less likely to cause a problem getting onto the bus.
Please check out my Bus Photos @

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128406405@N06/

Trident4590

Quote from: GeminiFan1991 on June 29, 2016, 10:02:47 PM
In terms of convenience, I'd say its on the same level as a Bus Pass, as they're both equally quick and easy to use, if anything a Pass is less likely to cause a problem getting onto the bus.
I personally prefer to use a bus pass as you just show the driver and off you go to find a seat, with swift sometimes it can be a problem of the bus not recognizing it right away

Gareth

I hope they will go down the London route with a flat fare and price capping for daily and weekly use. It will make boarding easy and efficient without scanning a card, telling driver how much, issuing ticket etc.
I've been a swift user from the start, the one downside is that it can be quite slow sometimes, especially compared to the almost instant Oyster system.

Tony

Quote from: Gareth on June 30, 2016, 10:31:51 AM
I hope they will go down the London route with a goat fare and price capping for daily and weekly use. It will make boarding easy and efficient with scanning a card, telling driver how much, issuing ticket.
I've been a swift user from the start, the one downside is that it can be quite slow sometimes, especially compared to the almost instant Oyster system.

The speed is down to the current outdated ticket machines. The new ticket machines should cure that

Dom

Quote from: Tony on June 30, 2016, 10:35:40 AM
The speed is down to the current outdated ticket machines. The new ticket machines should cure that

Are they due this year or next?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk