News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Long established independent Silcox of West Wales files for administration

Started by JoNi, May 28, 2016, 10:03:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoNi

winston

Tony

Quote from: Winston on May 28, 2016, 10:18:42 PM
Looks to be another Island Fortitude casualty

Silsoe is currently owned by the same people who own Denmark Caney in Birmingham

winston

Quote from: Tony on May 28, 2016, 10:29:05 PM
Silsoe is currently owned by the same people who own Denmark Caney in Birmingham

I'd forgotten that the Silcox family were lucky enough to buy the business back from Island Fortitude:
http://www.busandcoachbuyer.com/silcox-family-take-ownership-back/

D10

Would be a real shame if Silcox disappear, such a dominant force in South Pembrokeshire for so long.

If the worst does happen, some opportunities available for others. Perhaps Richards Brothers might want to expand and become the dominant operator in the South of the county as well as the North, or maybe a chance for the tiny First Cymru operation in Haverfordwest to expand. Also Taf Valley of Whitland would be well placed.

markcf83

First Cymru have all but given up on operating west of Carmarthen to be honest.
Don't judge me until you've walked in my size ten shoes.

Ally

Quote from: Winston on May 29, 2016, 12:47:57 AM
I'd forgotten that the Silcox family were lucky enough to buy the business back from Island Fortitude:
http://www.busandcoachbuyer.com/silcox-family-take-ownership-back/

On the note of Island Fortitude, since they took over Harrington's Coaches (a 5 minute walk from my house), there hasn't been a coach spotted in their yard at all, and in fact, I haven't even seen one in the local streets since...

Also, if I.F. caused some kind of issues at Silcox before it was sold back, that could be instrumental in its downfall and still be another I.F. casualty. I'm not educated in the buses out that way, but anything is possible knowing I.F.
~ Alistair (A.K.A. Ally)
~ Originally from Bedworth, Warwickshire. Now residing in Bristol
~ CSA at National Express, Bristol
~ https://www.facebook.com/alistair.transportchat

Tony

Quote from: Ally on May 31, 2016, 05:10:07 PM
On the note of Island Fortitude, since they took over Harrington's Coaches (a 5 minute walk from my house), there hasn't been a coach spotted in their yard at all, and in fact, I haven't even seen one in the local streets since...

That's because IF only bought Harringtons to get a West Midland op license to replace the Baker's one they had to give up. They had no intention of running in Coventry & Bedworth. I have seen plenty of 'Harrington' vehicles since the takeover

Kevin

Caught a Silcox bus today from Milford Haven to Pembroke and had a chat with the driver along the way. He was saying they don't really know what's going on beyond the fact they'll be out of a job soon. He said he's sure someone will take the work on, most likely First only by virtue of the routes they run atm, and the drivers get on with the First drivers
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

winston

Quote from: Kevin on June 04, 2016, 06:53:37 PM
Caught a Silcox bus today from Milford Haven to Pembroke and had a chat with the driver along the way. He was saying they don't really know what's going on beyond the fact they'll be out of a job soon. He said he's sure someone will take the work on, most likely First only by virtue of the routes they run atm, and the drivers get on with the First drivers

Apparently Edwards are taking on the majority of the work, Taf Valley & First a handful of routes

Kevin

Impressive then that the drivers (ie the people who talk to the travelling public when they ask) don't have a clue what's going on
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Ally

Quote from: Tony on May 31, 2016, 05:34:12 PM
That's because IF only bought Harringtons to get a West Midland op license to replace the Baker's one they had to give up. They had no intention of running in Coventry & Bedworth. I have seen plenty of 'Harrington' vehicles since the takeover

Ah I see, it makes sense now! Are Harringtons operating from a different yard now? I pass the one by my house (Heath Road, Bedworth) on almost a daily basis and the only difference I've seen since they've taken over is a small gate added to the entrance. No vehicles at all.
~ Alistair (A.K.A. Ally)
~ Originally from Bedworth, Warwickshire. Now residing in Bristol
~ CSA at National Express, Bristol
~ https://www.facebook.com/alistair.transportchat

Tony

Quote from: Ally on June 05, 2016, 03:07:53 PM
Ah I see, it makes sense now! Are Harringtons operating from a different yard now? I pass the one by my house (Heath Road, Bedworth) on almost a daily basis and the only difference I've seen since they've taken over is a small gate added to the entrance. No vehicles at all.

They are based in Biddulph

B61 ANDREW

Just for the records, the following three Silcox coaches were noted heading up the M5 this afternoon - BN63NYD, WA04EWT and RLZ1670.  Driven, low loader and suspended tow respectively.  :'(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk