News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Preserved Trams

Started by wembley86, January 23, 2016, 05:07:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wembley86

Will any of the t69's be preserved

PM

Sounds like they could be being considered for the Island Line on the Isle of Wight as the ex Underground trains' replacements.

T840MAK

Quote from: DiamondDart on February 05, 2016, 02:01:52 PM
Sounds like they could be being considered for the Island Line on the Isle of Wight as the ex Underground trains' replacements.

By the time that happens the T69s will have been stored for about 4-5 years so I wouldn't exactly hold your breath for it.
Twitter @TomCousins60054
Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/modeltrains33/

Tony

On a slightly different theme, some roadworks in Dale End have uncovered some of the original 3'6" gauge Birmingham tracks, last used in the 1950s

PM

Quote from: T840MAK on February 05, 2016, 05:57:49 PM
By the time that happens the T69s will have been stored for about 4-5 years so I wouldn't exactly hold your breath for it.

Wouldn't say I'm holding my breath for it as the T69's seemed well past their best when coming out of use in the WM.

Stevo

The T69s are low floor so they'd need to lower all the platforms at the stations. And I can't see them being converted to third rail. Manchester Metrolink T68s would be better with their high platform boarding.

MetroT69

To say the T69s are out for the count for GOOD is a little wide of the mark , there not being stored for no reason .
external Body wise there good  , and all but three were running less than 12 mnts ago.   

2 million per urbos 3  Vs      T69 ( scrap value £5k )  then a large rebuild cost per unit ?   

one T69 took its last breath just 2 weeks ago

wembley86

Quote from: Tony on February 05, 2016, 06:59:58 PM
On a slightly different theme, some roadworks in Dale End have uncovered some of the original 3'6" gauge Birmingham tracks, last used in the 1950s

Hopefully more of the old will be discovered when they do the extension to curzion street.

T840MAK

Quote from: Stevo on February 06, 2016, 09:55:31 AM
The T69s are low floor so they'd need to lower all the platforms at the stations. And I can't see them being converted to third rail. Manchester Metrolink T68s would be better with their high platform boarding.

You mean the T68s of which there's now only 7 of 32 in existance now? ;) the infrastructure on the entire line would be redone I would have thought so there would be no need for third rail as they would be able to lower the platforms and indeed add in overheads. Being perfectly honest, these proposals won't even start until 2018, so by the time the network has been converted to light rail ops I can't see why the Incentros currently running on NET (which will be withdrawn by then) wouldn't be used, personally I think its a more practical option than the T69s.
Twitter @TomCousins60054
Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/modeltrains33/

Tony

The attached photo is of some of the original Birmingham 3'6" gauge tracks last used around 60 years ago and now under several inches of tarmac

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk