News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Metro trams in city centre

Started by Stu, December 06, 2015, 02:45:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu

Plenty of news articles on this historic event that took place today, so I won't bore you with links.

As with the NX fare increases, there are a lot of negative ill-informed comments on social media, usually along the lines of, "waste of money", "it's only a five minute walk the lazy bastards" etc etc.

Lots of people have commented that the money has been 'wasted' by the council and it could have been used to help the homeless etc. These people don't seem to realise that the council have not paid for this out of their own budget, but it has been paid for with money from central government funding.

More worryingly are the people who seem to think the tram only runs between Snow Hill and New Street!  :o "Pointless, you could walk it in the time you wait for a tram!" It's an extension of the existing line, so in effect it links Wolverhampton and West Bromwich to New Street station and the heart of the city centre. People can still walk between the two stations, and nobody is being forced to use the tram!

And finally, the constant stream of "pointless waste of money" comments - people aren't looking at the bigger picture; this seemingly 'short pointless extension' is the groundwork to further extend the Metro out to Five Ways and to Digbeth, you can't have those extensions without having this 'short pointless waste of money' extension built first.

I'm glad though that there have been a lot of positive reactions, I myself haven't used the Metro for some years due to a lack of any need to, but I'm pleased to see the years of work finally coming to fruition.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

gregan

The new extension will be very useful (well at least to me!)

Is there any word on when the Corporation St/New St stops will be ready yet?

Stu

Quote from: George on December 06, 2015, 04:47:40 PM
The new extension will be very useful (well at least to me!)

Is there any word on when the Corporation St/New St stops will be ready yet?

"Early next year" seemed to be the general consensus, however one report hinted at 'late January/early February' before the full extension is open.

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Gareth

I saw a coupe of trams today load in Bull Street, lovely to see this part of the extension in use and almost full loads. I do only have one criticism and surely it's one that can be easily rectified. 'W St Georges' as a destination display is really not acceptable. If scrolling is not possible, and space is an issue, then 'Wolverhampton' should be used instead.

Tony

Stevo

Quote from: Gareth on December 06, 2015, 05:19:35 PM
I saw a coupe of trams today load in Bull Street, lovely to see this part of the extension in use and almost full loads. I do only have one criticism and surely it's one that can be easily rectified. 'W St Georges' as a destination display is really not acceptable. If scrolling is not possible, and space is an issue, then 'Wolverhampton' should be used instead.
As I said in another thread they could scroll the welcome to HRH and the Duke so they could scroll Wolverhampton St Georges, or just put Wolverhampton. Unless they've bought trams that can't fit in the destination they'll be going to half the time!

Stuharris 6360

What do they display going into City?

B Bull Street
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on December 08, 2015, 03:01:51 PM
What do they display going into City?

B Bull Street
They display
Bull Street
@Stuharris 6360
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Stevo

What's not obvious at first is that the Snow Hill stop is nothing like finished - no platform surface, no shelters - so trams just run through it.

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: 2206 on December 08, 2015, 04:42:47 PM
They display
Bull Street
@Stuharris 6360

Thanks @2206 , just find it strange, for those who don't know, ie visitors to the area, where is Bull Street.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Liberator9

Quote from: Stevo on December 08, 2015, 05:58:56 PM
What's not obvious at first is that the Snow Hill stop is nothing like finished - no platform surface, no shelters - so trams just run through it.

I haven't been to Snow Hill for a few weeks and I didn't know until today that the Snow Hill stop hadn't been finished! Just assumed it had been when the extension was opened - thought it was somewhere behind that wall.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk