News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Dogs on buses?

Started by windy miller, June 11, 2012, 12:23:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

windy miller

I can't remember if WM have a 'Dog' acceptance policy on buses these days- I do know that some operators will refuse to carry dogs (other than Blind dogs) on any service. I did see a complaint notice in the press recently- where someone had been refused access with her dog due to 'company policy' . The significant factor here was that the bus was actually a RAIL replacement bus.? surely if a dog(s) were admitted on the train that the bus service was meant to replace then you would have every right to complain? :o
Mind the Gap.....?:-)

winston

I'm pretty sure NXWM allow dogs on board, as I recently saw some chavs sat at the back of a PE B7RLE on the 246 allowing their staffordshire bull terrier to jump all over the seats in front of them

notepanel

In my opinion dogs shouldn't be allowed on board, as in most cases it does always seem to be some 'chav' with a bull terrier type dog. They always seem to be on the seat or jumping up other passengers, which is against the conditions of carriage.

Personally I have a fear of dogs, and there have been several occasions where dogs have been on board in the pram/wheelchair area jumping up passengers as they have gone past. Luckily these have always got off before me, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to get off the bus!

MW

Quote from: notepanel on June 11, 2012, 11:45:56 AM
In my opinion dogs shouldn't be allowed on board, as in most cases it does always seem to be some 'chav' with a bull terrier type dog. They always seem to be on the seat or jumping up other passengers, which is against the conditions of carriage.

Personally I have a fear of dogs, and there have been several occasions where dogs have been on board in the pram/wheelchair area jumping up passengers as they have gone past. Luckily these have always got off before me, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to get off the bus!

Easy solution to this. It may sound ridiculous, but it works for me.

When coming down the stairs there may be a dog in the buggy area, and I'm waiting for the bus to stop. I look the dog right in the eye and keep looking at it with a sot of serious look. The dog then moves back to it's owner and you don't get any funny business. It's worked on all types of dogs.

ilovetea4370

I don't think they should be banned, just ban the chavs in general! A couple of Years ago me and a family member were taking our two dogs to the Vet's and a polish driver on the 11 refused us entry as he said Travel's policy was one dog per bus, he got out the cab and was waving his hand in our faces shouting "One Dog, One Bus"... bit of a nutcase I think. Generally though apart from that incident, Bus Drivers seem alright allowing dogs on-board around here.
(I should just say our dogs are well trained, not the kind who jump on the seats or bark every 5 seconds!)

Lukeee

Personally i dont see a problem with dogs on the bus as long as they are well behaved and dont jump on the seats. I've seen many owners take dogs on the bus without a problem but there is a small minority who dont train their dogs.

MW

They should be banned. They disgust the vehicles even more. Hair everywhere and the smell.

If for some reason they couldn't, the owners should have to pay the fare for the dog as well.

ilovetea4370

Quote from: Michael on June 11, 2012, 01:22:14 PM
They should be banned. They disgust the vehicles even more. Hair everywhere and the smell.

If for some reason they couldn't, the owners should have to pay the fare for the dog as well.

Whereas Every person who uses buses, including the chavs, always take extra care to look after the vehicle and not to stink the buses out with cigarettes.

MW

Quote from: trident4370 on June 11, 2012, 01:28:27 PM

Whereas Every person who uses buses, including the chavs, always take extra care to look after the vehicle and not to stink the buses out with cigarettes.

Dogs are worse. Most people don't like dogs. They shouldn't be allowed on public transport what so ever. If you want a dog, you use your car. That's my opinion.

ilovetea4370

Quote from: Michael on June 11, 2012, 01:34:55 PM
Quote from: trident4370 on June 11, 2012, 01:28:27 PM

Dogs are worse. Most people don't like dogs. They shouldn't be allowed on public transport what so ever. If you want a dog, you use your car. That's my opinion.

Funny that, last time I checked there were about 10 million dog owning families in the UK, so clearly not everyone hates dogs. I can think of far worse "creatures" to allow on buses than dogs, at least Dogs don't etch windows and smoke weed on the buses, don't eat smelly maggot infested fried chicken on the buses or give the drivers abuse. I can understand concerns with chavs taking their bull mastiffs on the buses but to ban anyone and everyone is just a stupid idea.
What about pensioners who have dogs as companions for example who cannot afford cars? People with Disabilites/Blind people who need dogs to guide them? Your comments just suggest ignorance to me, especially as you think staring at a dog in its eyes, will stop it attacking you, If anything you are just asking for a bite.

That is my opinion like it or lump it.

Badger

I don't have a car, that's why I use the buses. Admittedly I've never had to catch one with my dog but it's useful to know it's there for the vets etc.

All the dogs I've seen have been civil and well trained, on the 3, but that's not to say there aren't bad dogs out there (but there are bad people too). If someone's going to let their dog run around the bus, they shouldn't be on the bus anyway IMO, even without their dog they'd probably be a nuisance.

Paying an additional fare for a dog seems reasonable, after all it's taking up space. (But then we don't charge for young children for some reason).
My local's the 3 and 63.
Casual bus user. Doesn't know much other than some buses look nicer than others.
Contractual web developer, self employed game designer/programmer, Wolverhampton bjorn and bread.

ilovetea4370

Quote from: Badger on June 11, 2012, 02:00:13 PM
I don't have a car, that's why I use the buses. Admittedly I've never had to catch one with my dog but it's useful to know it's there for the vets etc.

All the dogs I've seen have been civil and well trained, on the 3, but that's not to say there aren't bad dogs out there (but there are bad people too). If someone's going to let their dog run around the bus, they shouldn't be on the bus anyway IMO, even without their dog they'd probably be a nuisance.

Paying an additional fare for a dog seems reasonable, after all it's taking up space. (But then we don't charge for young children for some reason).

I agree that paying for a dog could be an option but when pushchairs that could be folded up take up loads of room and as you say small children, I think it'd only be fair to charge for dogs if small children were also made to pay a child fare.

Stu

Fron NXWM's Terms And Conditions of carriage:

QuoteANIMALS
12.1 Assistance dogs for disabled customers, guide dogs, and hearing dogs are
permitted to travel on Company vehicles.
12.2 Other dogs or inoffensive animals can be brought onto the vehicle only if
permitted by the driver, who has complete discretion in this matter.

12.3 Reasons why animals will not be carried include if the animal appears
dangerous or likely to upset either other customers or animals already on the
vehicle.
12.4 No animal should sit or be placed on vehicle seats.

12.5 It is the responsibility of the customer bringing an animal onto a Company
vehicle to ensure it is being kept under proper control at all times on a lead or
in a suitable container, and does not cause a nuisance to the driver or other
customers.

12.6 The Company does not accept any liability howsoever caused for the loss,
death or injury to animals whilst being conveyed, unless caused through
negligence by the Company or its staff.

So its entirely up to the driver whether he lets you on with a dog. And sometimes I wish more drivers would enforce this. I can recall travelling home from Shirley one evening on the 31, and a couple of chavs got on with a dog, and sat at the back of the lower deck, and their dog decided to have a wee. Dog piss trickling down the floor of a bus can't be very hygienic.  :o

On the other hand, I was on an 11A the once going up to Stechford, and I was at the front of the top deck, and a nice young lady had a very well behaved dog, it was sat on the seat next to her opposite me, looking out the front window very curiously at everything going by!  :D
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

ilovetea4370

There you go then, the drivers have every right to turn away the chavs whilst allowing normal people with dogs onto the buses!

richie

If you have a dog walk it! Help the bus companies reduce their lost millage from dog sick, poo and urine needed to be cleaned up. Get dogs off seats and out of buggy zones! How long till a child is savaged by one on a bus? I appreciate not all owners let their dogs on seats but it happens alot! NX policy leaves the decision to the driver so it is their decision if it is carried as far as i know.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk