News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Fare stages/ timing points that no longer exist

Started by j789, September 29, 2015, 07:32:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j789

I have been thinking recently about timing points/ fare stages that are still used even though the building etc they are named after are long gone.

Examples include on a route I drive, the 144, the Northfield timing point is the Bell inn which is no longer there. Another is from when I lived in Brum, my local 103 route (plus 22/23/29/11/448) had a stop at the Duke of York pub. This was knocked down over 10 years ago, but the stop was still called it after this.

Anyone think of any others?

How often are timing points updated, or do the planners just stick to what people know even when the place no longer exists?

Stu

The 'Hen & Chickens' remained a timing point / stop name for several years after the pub closed. I believe it is now correctly named "Wolverhampton Road, Causeway Green Road" (on the 126 route).

A more recent one is 'Gospel Oak' in Acocks Green; the pub of the same name closed a few years ago (now a Co-Op), however that area retains the name, and is the destination of the 1 (as well as a via point for the 31).
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

j789

'Jeffersons' on Hagley Road was another one that lasted even after the pub changed names.

John

'Clock Garage' on the 28/94. The garage had been demolished for a few years now but the fare stage is still 'Clock Garage'

The Fox 4846

The stop outside NBA is still called 'College High'
33 Asda Queslett via Perry Barr, Kingstanding, Pheasey
7 Sutton Coldfield via Witton, Perry Common, Boldmere

Gareth

I know we have a bit of metal on the roundabout, but The Gate, Saltley hasn't existed for about 25 years.

Steveminor

The mackadown on 71/97/14 pub gone years ago now a lidl.

Other Walsall Tony

How about 'Fighting Cocks' on the 1 between Wolverhampton and Sedgley?  Or 'Lane Arms' on the 529 at Bentley?
Tony

Tony

Quote from: Tony on September 29, 2015, 10:30:43 PM
Hasn't Lidl now closed?
Yes @Tony Its been closed and demolished and they soon will start building a new Lidl which will open in 2016
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Steveminor

Westy

The Red Lion pub in Leamore was a fare stage, which is now correctly named 'Bloxwich Road/Green Lane'.

Also, due to a slight change in the road layout, Nursery Road, Bloxwich fare stage  no longer exists northbound, but still exists southbound.

Bob

4130Quinton

Quote from: Other Walsall Tony on September 29, 2015, 10:23:12 PM
How about 'Fighting Cocks' on the 1 between Wolverhampton and Sedgley?  Or 'Lane Arms' on the 529 at Bentley?

They don't seem to like using that place name on anything now, not used on the "talking" stops on the hybrids and most maps have erased it too. Can't say if it still exists on fare stages or not....

Wumpty

Looking to Tony for guidance as these were timing points but no longer exist.....

301/302 Used to have Leamore, The Rosum - the old bingo hall that is now Farm Foods.

301 Had Moseley, The Eagle which is now derelict.

Autofare 3 - the ticket that laughs in the face of contactless!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk