News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

standing on buses

Started by Solo1, September 16, 2015, 05:48:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solo1

Why do Peolpe  stand on buses when there are seats to sit on

Stuharris 6360

I always think it is because they want to be first off the bus when they get to there destination.

But then, if there is an incident, and the bus needs to stop in an emergency, the person can be thrown around, maybe injured and if seats are available, then it is there fault!!!
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

AV4248

People being reluctant to walk up and down some stairs on a double decker from what I've seen.

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: AV4248 on September 16, 2015, 06:50:41 PM
People being reluctant to walk up and down some stairs on a double decker from what I've seen.

But what about single deckers?
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

the trainbasher

Have you ever thought that it may be because said passenger wishes to remain standing as they are travelling a short distance, or that they are allowing someone who needs a seat more then them may wish to board?

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: the trainbasher on September 16, 2015, 07:02:11 PM
Have you ever thought that it may be because said passenger wishes to remain standing as they are travelling a short distance, or that they are allowing someone who needs a seat more then them may wish to board?

That is true, but if a seat is available it should be used!

the trainbasher

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on September 16, 2015, 07:05:53 PM
That is true, but if a seat is available it should be used!

Where in the conditions of carriage or any legislation does it say that one must use a seat if it's avaliable?

If you find any legislation that prohibits standing if there is avaliable seats then kindly furnish it so i can then hand myself into the police for breaching said legislation

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Stu

I was on the 31 this morning going to work, and there were people standing upstairs! What's the official policy on this?

As for people standing on single decks, I still think even if they're only going a couple of stops, they should at least move down towards the 'standing area' rather than blocking the gangway between the front wheels.

From my own observations, some people would rather stand than have to sit next to another human being!  :D

There's no official legislation on this, however there are notices on most buses now requesting passengers to take a seat if one is available, for their own safety.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: the trainbasher on September 16, 2015, 07:09:23 PM
Where in the conditions of carriage or any legislation does it say that one must use a seat if it's avaliable?

If you find any legislation that prohibits standing if there is avaliable seats then kindly furnish it so i can then hand myself into the police for breaching said legislation

Then why don't NE buy buses which have no seats, would be a lot cheaper to buy and could convey more passengers?

If you look at the unfortunate incident a couple of Saturdays ago involving 4520 and 1926, who would fair better, someone standing or someone sitting down?

AV4248

Quote from: Stu on September 16, 2015, 07:12:34 PM
I was on the 31 this morning going to work, and there were people standing upstairs! What's the official policy on this?
I've stood on the top deck quite a few times in the past. Aren't drivers meant to prevent this from happening?

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: AV4248 on September 16, 2015, 07:33:49 PM
I've stood on the top deck quite a few times in the past. Aren't drivers meant to prevent this from happening?

Have checked the Conditions of Carriage and very little is said about standing , it does say

"Standing customers and those who are boarding or awaiting to alight are requested to hold onto handrails.  " but it doesn't state where you can stand?

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on September 16, 2015, 07:43:38 PM
Have checked the Conditions of Carriage and very little is said about standing , it does say

"Standing customers and those who are boarding or awaiting to alight are requested to hold onto handrails.  " but it doesn't state where you can stand?

@Tony what is the official line on standing passengers ?

BU07 LGO

I thought as long as the maximum standee's aren't exceeded it was ok? I wish there was a tally so you can record how many get off aswell as on, on the wayfarer so you know exactly how many people are on the bus because its hard to count sometimes when it gets quite full

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: BU07 LGO on September 16, 2015, 08:03:45 PM
I thought as long as the maximum standee's aren't exceeded it was ok? I wish there was a tally so you can record how many get off aswell as on, on the wayfarer so you know exactly how many people are on the bus because its hard to count sometimes when it gets quite full

True, but whats to stop you standing upstairs, it's not against the Conditions of Carriage!

Tony

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on September 16, 2015, 08:08:05 PM
True, but whats to stop you standing upstairs, it's not against the Conditions of Carriage!

It is illegal to stand on the top deck of any bus, has been for as long as double decks have existed for good reason

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk