News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Caution - Bus Reversing... - Query

Started by LiamthebusGuy, August 14, 2015, 03:23:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LiamthebusGuy

Just to query, I was told by a driver that it is ILLEGAL for and in-service bus to reverse without an Inspector, member of Centro staff or Police* officer guiding them back, so why is it that in many bus stations (i.e. Telford/Derby) buses always reverse out of the stand WITHOUT a banksman?

Please give me some advice... I know it sounds stupid...

Liam

Tony

Quote from: Liam on August 14, 2015, 03:23:32 PM
Just to query, I was told by a driver that it is ILLEGAL for and in-service bus to reverse without an Inspector, member of Centro staff or Police* officer guiding them back, so why is it that in many bus stations (i.e. Telford/Derby) buses always reverse out of the stand WITHOUT a banksman?

Please give me some advice... I know it sounds stupid...

Liam

Highway code states it is illegal for a bus to reverse on the public highway without a responsible person assisting at the rear. Doesn't have to be any of the people listed above, can be a passenger. Bus Stations are not part of the public highways, they are private land

the trainbasher

Although there is/has been several routes that require(d) a three point turn en route.

The Astons 26 in Worcester is an example of one alongside the former Stagecoach 622 in Canterbury and others.

And both of these had no banksmen on board!

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Alex

Quote from: the trainbasher on August 14, 2015, 04:09:49 PM
Although there is/has been several routes that require(d) a three point turn en route.

The Astons 26 in Worcester is an example of one alongside the former Stagecoach 622 in Canterbury and others.

And both of these had no banksmen on board!

And the 436 under Arriva operation in Much Wenlock, whether it still does the 3-point to get back en route, I don't know
Hypocrites are like flares... a right pain if one goes near you, and really annoying to get rid of...

My YouTube channel: Alex Jones

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXjxo69BfENu3fiWuzCNYyg

Kevin

T3 Wrexham - Barmouth does 2 en route, didn't have anyone helping when I caught it last week
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Ally

Stagecoach's 41 has a 3 point turn as it's terminus in Birchley Heath, not even the reverse parking sensors fitted to the old CHAT County Links Solos were of any help as there is a dip as you reverse in which is that deeps that it sets the sensor's warning off straight to the red.
The 766 to Tamworth also has one on the journeys that serve Baxterley, only on this one, you're not reversing into a gated entrance as per Birchley Heath, but you're actually reversing into a residential street.

No assistance provided for either of these! The management say that you have to have a qualified banksman (as a company rule rather than law) which includes RPIs, Controllers, Management & Police, I can't recall if the engineers are trained but I would imagine so. I'll have to dig out my driver's handbook to get the exact details on it.

The 41 and 766 examples are often aired when anyone mentions reversing without a banksman. The whole thing tends to treated as a grey area, some drivers will use their discretion and just reverse anyway, asking for a passenger to assist if they aren't 100% sure on it. Other drivers will just sit there until the obstruction is removed or a qualified banksman appears, whichever is the soonest.

What does help is that our 62 plate E200s have a rear mounted camera on now and the cab mounted screen automatically switches to that view when reverse is selected. The downside is that the washers have a tendency to move or even break off the cameras.
~ Alistair (A.K.A. Ally)
~ Originally from Bedworth, Warwickshire. Now residing in Bristol
~ CSA at National Express, Bristol
~ https://www.facebook.com/alistair.transportchat

Stu

Yesterday, while on my way into Solihull, the 37 I was on had to reverse into Manor Road to turn around, as Warwick Road was blocked by the Lode Lane island.

The PCSO who was stopping traffic had to help guide the bus driver as he reversed around the corner. And then directed him to use Ashleigh Road (yeah, I know there are signs there instructing bus drivers not to use that road lol). As we got to Streetsbrook Road, the call came over the radio advising drivers to divert via Seven Star Road and Lode Lane.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

karl724223

Balfour road kingswinford ask the ode dear how many buses reversed through her fence

the trainbasher

@karl724223 those were the days! Metroriders doing a turnaround to head back to Dudley on the 131 :-) how it seems a long time ago!

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

karl724223

Quote from: the trainbasher on August 23, 2015, 04:05:54 PM
@karl724223 those were the days! Metroriders doing a turnaround to head back to Dudley on the 131 :-) how it seems a long time ago!
and B6s straight through the fence

LiamthebusGuy

Okay right, so if say a driver wasn't sure on a reverse, I could THEORETICALLY hop off and back the driver up. (Please bear in mind that I am NOT a qualified banksman, just very good at walking backwards, waving and shouting...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk