News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

NXWM service changes 30th August

Started by winston, July 03, 2015, 04:39:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Stu on August 08, 2015, 06:15:30 PM
Personally I think the 1 should have been extended further into Shirley town centre. Maybe no-one uses it from Gospel Oak because it doesn't actually go anywhere? It was meant to replace the 3/31A and combine with the 31 to offer a 'turn-up-and-go' service between Gospel Oak and Shirley. Dumping passengers outside Hall Green Tesco (okay the stop is technically just over the boundary inside Shirley environs) and then expecting them either to walk a further ten minutes or so to actually get to Parkgate or Shirley town centre, or to change onto another bus to complete the journey, doesn't seem very useful to me.

Perhaps passengers also find it confusing, as all the printed material at stops says the 1 goes to Shirley, while the destination displays say 'Hall Green'.
Is it going to do any better dropping people of in Gospel Oak theres only a CoOp store and houses it is similar to Hall Green there whenever I see the service it is usually very empty in Acocks Green heading towards Hall Green.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Stu

My point is, are people in the Gospel Oak area not using the 1 because they'd rather wait for the next 31, if they're going to Shirley?

It seems to be well used between Acocks Green and Gospel Oak, but then again, on the odd occasion I'm going into Shirley from Acocks Green, I also would wait for the 31.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

GeminiFan1991

Quote from: Stu on August 08, 2015, 07:05:03 PM
My point is, are people in the Gospel Oak area not using the 1 because they'd rather wait for the next 31, if they're going to Shirley?

It seems to be well used between Acocks Green and Gospel Oak, but then again, on the odd occasion I'm going into Shirley from Acocks Green, I also would wait for the 31.

I've caught the 31 many times and it does seem to get more than its fair share of passengers whilst in Gospel Oak. The 1 always seems empty running through there and I also think its Hall Green/ Shirley Terminus should be extended somewhat so it actually finishes somewhere useful. Were it terminates at Stratford Road is awfully short of the Shirley Town Centre as yourself quite rightly mentioned.
Please check out my Bus Photos @

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128406405@N06/

Ossie

Quote from: Kevin on August 08, 2015, 02:32:47 PM
...... How many people will use the 904 all the way round through Sutton to Walmley?

Well this is, indeed, the $64K question!  :)  The day journey time seems to be around 50-60 minutes compared with 25-ish on the 914 direct.  If the new 904 ran direct through Falcon Lodge via Churchill Square (the existing 115/914 route) rather than round the estate via Reddicap Heath, Willmot / Fairfax schools and Lodge Crescent, the time saving might make it slightly more attractive.  But there you go.

However, the key thing here is the increased frequency on the 914 to 20 minutes. For that reason, I can't see many people opting for the 904 to the City.  If they'd left it at a 30 minute frequency, and I'd just missed one, I might have been tempted to hop on a 904, but there's no real incentive in doing that with the timetables as announced.

I do welcome the beefed-up evening services, (the 115 finishes around 18:30) and can see myself using the 904 that time of day from both City and Sutton, especially Saturdays.  A much needed improvement.  8)

But dark clouds on the horizon.  Just looking forward, it wouldn't surprise me if the footfall on the 904 between Falcon Lodge and Asda turns out to be pretty low.  There's never been much of a local demand for a direct service as the 119 demonstrated - unless the increased frequency proves to be an attraction.  That we'll have to see.

But I wouldn't place any bets against NXWM truncating the 904 back to Falcon Lodge come September 2016 .....  :(

----------------

Edited to add: Just wondering - would Asda actually pay anything to NXWM/Centro for running services direct into their store?

monkeyjoe

Quote from: Ossie on August 09, 2015, 07:58:10 PM
Well this is, indeed, the $64K question!  :)  The day journey time seems to be around 50-60 minutes compared with 25-ish on the 914 direct.  If the new 904 ran direct through Falcon Lodge via Churchill Square (the existing 115/914 route) rather than round the estate via Reddicap Heath, Willmot / Fairfax schools and Lodge Crescent, the time saving might make it slightly more attractive.  But there you go.

However, the key thing here is the increased frequency on the 914 to 20 minutes. For that reason, I can't see many people opting for the 904 to the City.  If they'd left it at a 30 minute frequency, and I'd just missed one, I might have been tempted to hop on a 904, but there's no real incentive in doing that with the timetables as announced.

I do welcome the beefed-up evening services, (the 115 finishes around 18:30) and can see myself using the 904 that time of day from both City and Sutton, especially Saturdays.  A much needed improvement.  8)

But dark clouds on the horizon.  Just looking forward, it wouldn't surprise me if the footfall on the 904 between Falcon Lodge and Asda turns out to be pretty low.  There's never been much of a local demand for a direct service as the 119 demonstrated - unless the increased frequency proves to be an attraction.  That we'll have to see.

But I wouldn't place any bets against NXWM truncating the 904 back to Falcon Lodge come September 2016 .....  :(

It's not been designed to be used from City to Asda in my view it is maintain the frequency on the Sutton - Falcon Lodge - Walmley corridor. 10 min frequency or 6 buses an hour on that corridor.

Ossie

Quote from: monkeyjoe on August 09, 2015, 08:04:42 PM

It's not been designed to be used from City to Asda in my view it is maintain the frequency on the Sutton - Falcon Lodge - Walmley corridor. 10 min frequency or 6 buses an hour on that corridor.

I appreciate that nobody would want to travel City to Asda by 904 - you've got Arriva's 116 for that.  :)

Quote from: Ossie on August 09, 2015, 08:10:16 PM
I appreciate that nobody would want to travel City to Asda by 904 - you've got Arriva's 116 for that.  :)
All the NXWM pass holders will use the service instead of the 116, where they would have to pay more when they already pay NXWM for their bus pass
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Quote from: monkeyjoe on August 09, 2015, 08:04:42 PM

I agree and for people who have bus passes and want to travel to Minworth from the City Centre. NXWM will now also provide a service from Minwoth to Sutton Coldfield after 8PM.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

monkeyjoe

Bring back the 968 or whatever it was via Aston Expressway

monkeyjoe

See the 63n is being extended and reduced to hourly, makes sense really

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: monkeyjoe on August 14, 2015, 08:30:11 PM
See the 63n is being extended and reduced to hourly, makes sense really

Which is what they should have done in the first place!!
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

sonic84

Also spotted but I haven't seen mentioned is that the 45 with be curtailed to run to Bournville College only with all 47 journeys extending to Rednal Island.

Stu

Quote from: MW on August 08, 2015, 01:06:43 AM
Also I think the stop move to High Street might get rid of the passengers who use the service from City to Sparkbrook which is also good! (I don't like stopping on Stratford Road when on the 37)

@MW You'll be pleased to know that the 6 is also moving to High Street!  :D

The timetables are being adjusted, so the 6 and 37 provide a 3 minute frequency between city and Sparkbrook.

The 2, 3, 5 and 31 timetables are being adjusted, so between the four services there'll be a 5 minute frequency to Sparkbrook. Hopefully more people will use these services instead, making the 6 and 37 less crowded!
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Liberator9

Good to hear - glad the 37 and 6 are moving round the corner - at least there won't be any more 45/47s parking up there. Also good if they're tweaking the timetables to get the 3 mins frequency - provided the Sparkbrook traffic doesn't ruin it!

Quote from: Stu on August 15, 2015, 10:00:15 AM
@MW You'll be pleased to know that the 6 is also moving to High Street!  :D

The timetables are being adjusted, so the 6 and 37 provide a 3 minute frequency between city and Sparkbrook.

The 2, 3, 5 and 31 timetables are being adjusted, so between the four services there'll be a 5 minute frequency to Sparkbrook. Hopefully more people will use these services instead, making the 6 and 37 less crowded!
I personally think more people will use the 37 and 6 if they will provide. Combined 3 minute frequency and running more often than the others @Stu
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk