News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Audio Announcements

Started by Stu, January 29, 2015, 07:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu

I think it's already been mentioned here that the 4/4H/4M services are the latest to have the on-board audio-visual next stop announcements.

A regular on my Facebook page has commented that apparently according to a Walsall driver, this is going to be rolled out to all NX buses. But not on the older P, R,S,T or V Reg buses because "most of these are due to be scrapped".

Any idea who's provided the voice for the announcements on the 4? Or who will do all the announcements on all the other routes at other garages?

Also, I wonder if all the new buses being delivered later this year will have this technology installed from the off?

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Trident 4609

I suppose it would give use to the blank TV screens on the Gemini's and Tridents....

CL

Quote from: Nathan on January 29, 2015, 07:52:33 PM
I suppose it would give use to the blank TV screens on the Gemini's and Tridents....

@Nathan *though half of the screens on BC Tridents have been filled in with the 'floor' - loool.

- i'm not joking, btw. Upon closer inspection, it is the same 'material' as the floor... Certainly the same pattern. ;)
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

RR378

P419 EJW

Quote from: RR378 on February 10, 2015, 08:12:05 AM
When did the 4 get them

I did a simple look back through (page 84, 83, 82, 81, finally 80) in Walsall Garage thread and I found it on page 80. Here it is. http://wmbusphotos.com/forum/index.php?topic=53.msg127812#msg127812 Assuming the date of that post was the day of the announcements being installed.

Stuharris 6360

Seems if one MP gets his way, Audio Announcements will be required on all buses.

http://services.parliament.uk/bills/2014-15/busesaudioannouncements.html
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Kevin

I know it's something that's been mentioned in a few other threads before, but this seems a logical place to put this.

Heard the next stop thing on the X51 this morning mention "Walsall Road, Booths Farm Road", despite the bus not stopping there, and it got me thinking.
Why has it even been recorded? There must have been someone somewhere that a) put it on a list to be recorded; b) attached that recording to a geographical location so the system picks it up when the bus is sailing past; and c) set it up so that it only announces the stop in one direction only.

Curious
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

JoNi

Excellent news if they are required providing they match up with bus stop names and timetable information!
There are different standards of audio information, not just next stop names but places of interest even where you are leaving ticket zones. In later case Arriva who give that bit extra!

Ashley 60171

The audio on service 1 (Tettenhall to Dudley) needs updating with regard to Wolverhampton Coty Centre stops ie it goes silent outside the Grand Theatre and Crown Court vut still tells you "Market Street, Tower Street".

the trainbasher

It's like the announcements on the 1, when I last used it, disliked the Fighting Cocks

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

karl724223

We should cater for all the immigrants to with multi language announcements
Like job centre forget that one   benefits office  off licence

Stuharris 6360

But, if I am honest, announcements get you down after a while. I can see why they are useful, but for example In London, you never get any peace from them, Bus or Tube.

Then I was in Blackpool over the weekend and now you get "Please press the STOP button if you require (eg:) Pleasure Beach" I asked a conductor about it and he said some high official had been on a tram and had complained that he didn't realise that he has to press the stop button to get off.

Even on Virgin Trains you go to the toilet and get an announcement telling you everything (including some stupid things) that you shouldn't put down the toilet.

Where will it all end.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: karl724223 on July 21, 2016, 02:46:11 PM
We should cater for all the immigrants to with multi language announcements
Like job centre forget that one   benefits office  off licence

Please nooooooooooooooo !

You can just imagine, people would complain because there language wasn't included!

There isn't enough distance between stops to give announcements in 20 different languages.

karl724223

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on July 21, 2016, 02:53:50 PM
Please nooooooooooooooo !

You can just imagine, people would complain because there language wasn't included!

There isn't enough distance between stops to give announcements in 20 different languages.
ok we will have all announcements in thick Black Country dialect

GeminiFan1991

Quote from: karl724223 on July 21, 2016, 03:05:36 PM
ok we will have all announcements in thick Black Country dialect

I think we should abandon the audio announcements with the hope that everybody that boards the bus knows how to read.
Please check out my Bus Photos @

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128406405@N06/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk