News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

126 Birmingham to Wolverhampton

Started by davey, March 31, 2012, 08:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D10

Definitely remember going on a Hockley Mk1 Metrobus on the 258. I once took it all the way from Wolvo to Birmingham and at just over 2 hours long it was a very long alternative to the 126 and 79!

lynx1103

I remember the 258. first operted by Wolverhampton then moved to Hockley around 1994. A very long route of journey time of 2hour 20 mins. By 1996 it was cut to Merry Hill. By Late 2000 it moved back to Wolverhampton due to driver shortages at Hockley. By May 2002 it was opeted by Pensnett Garage by awful B10B`s ex Acocks Green examples 1371-1377

Liberator9

The 126 buses could do with a repaint and refurb as they look pretty lousy on the outside. The number 1 to Dudley also has Tridents and I can no longer see the justification of double deckers on the route. Each time I see one go past the upper deck has only 3 or 4 people on with spaces on the lower deck. Yesterday I caught a 10:00 bus and the more senior passengers just stayed on the bottom deck with some standing. Really the route would benefit from Scania Omnilinks which would serve well with double deckers used in the busier hours around 5pm and 8am. Surely it would be more fuel saving if a full single decker was used instead of a heavy lightly loaded double decker.

SMK

Quote from: Liberator9 on April 07, 2012, 12:14:19 PM
Each time I see one go past the upper deck has only 3 or 4 people on with spaces on the lower deck. Yesterday I caught a 10:00 bus and the more senior passengers just stayed on the bottom deck with some standing. Really the route would benefit from Scania Omnilinks which would serve well with double deckers used in the busier hours around 5pm and 8am. Surely it would be more fuel saving if a full single decker was used instead of a heavy lightly loaded double decker.
You may be able to get away with single deckers on the 1 during off peak hours but definitely not during peaks.
I'm not sure how busy it is at peak times between Wolves and Dudley but between Wolves and Tettenhall Wood it is usually rammed full of college/school students.
We'll get rid of your bus to Wolves and replace it with one to Walsall instead.......... Oh the joy of a Network Review. -_-

Ash

Quote from: NathanJC on April 09, 2012, 11:21:06 AM
See I cannot comment on the state of the 126s as I never catch that route it would be very rare if I did. Some 126'S have the old purple branding which suits that route to be fair. I think they should take the tridents off that route and replace them with Operate Spectras as it would look alot nicer in my eyes not that will happen but Would look quite good to be fair.

There would be too many complaints I think if they Split the 126 into to halves I think. I think they should introduce a limited stop version to that route between Dudley & Birmingham to improve reliablity numbering it X126 or 926 ;D

I rember the 258 fadely but never travelled on that route sadly  :'(.

The new 79 route Wolverhampton - West Bromwich is much better than when it went to Birmingham becuase that never used to turn up nor did the 74 as it ran along the Soho Road which can get grid locked at times ::). But saying that the 74/75 run in 4/5's so to be honest theres been no change there  :(

Would the optare spectra's be able to cope going to Birmingham as they not good for there reliabiltiy as they brake down regular on the 79 and also with the new emmissions they would not be used. The better solution is refurb the exisiting tridents and brand them with a purple version of the new 51 livery.

Stu

Some simple maths tells me:

21 brand new hybrid buses due in Spring 2013 for the 1 service.

21 Optare Spectras at Wolverhampton garage.

It doesn't take a genius to work out the rest.  ;)
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Nathan4775

is that the 1 Birmingham Town Hall - Acocks Green or 1 Tettenal Wood - Dudley
My Flickr;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/90949252@N04/
-----------------------------------------------------------------
4775, 4770, 4697, 4698 , 4141, 4444, 4555

Stu

Yes, I should have said '1 Tettenhall Wood - Dudley'  :P
My locals:

Stu

Because the 1 is to become a 'flagship' route, and needs double-deckers as it is well used.

See: http://nxbus.co.uk/west-midlands/news/more-green-hybrid-buses-on-way-to-west-midlands
My locals:

wilmotm (Matt Wilmot)

Quote from: NathanJC on April 09, 2012, 02:36:05 PM
ohh i see. At the moment the 1 is low floor operated with a few double deckers on there (Spectras & Tridents)
The 1 is pretty much 99% double deck operated and that's how it should be! I live on the number 1 route and use it regularly and between 4PM and 6PM most double deckers from Dudley to Wolves are packed. It definetly does need some new buses and in my opinion is worthy of them more than the 126 as whenever i'm in Dudley at any time of day the 1 is always far far busier than the 126!

Nathan4775

Quote from: wilmotm on April 09, 2012, 03:04:35 PM
ohh i see. At the moment the 1 is low floor operated with a few double deckers on there (Spectras & Tridents)
The 1 is pretty much 99% double deck operated and that's how it should be! I live on the number 1 route and use it regularly and between 4PM and 6PM most double deckers from Dudley to Wolves are packed. It definetly does need some new buses and in my opinion is worthy of them more than the 126 as whenever i'm in Dudley at any time of day the 1 is always far far busier than the 126!

It depends on were you board the 126  ???
My Flickr;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/90949252@N04/
-----------------------------------------------------------------
4775, 4770, 4697, 4698 , 4141, 4444, 4555

Liberator9

Quote from: wilmotm on April 09, 2012, 03:04:35 PM

It is certainly busy during the times you've quoted but during daytime it would be better to have single deckers. Also I caught the 9:45am service on Friday and everyone stayed downstairs as they couldn't get up the stairs. They were even standing.

MW

Quote from: NathanJC on April 09, 2012, 02:26:01 PM
Wolverhampton are getting more new buses, Them hybrids should be placed on the 126 if there going anywere I dont see why they would be going on the 1 uless there single decker hybrid buses

The Hybrids would be useless on the 126. Hybrids are better for start stop traffic routes, so they run on electric more. At long distance or speed they use the engine, and therefore consumes more fuel. The 126 runs up Hagley Road & bits of Wolverhampton Road where it doesn't stop for a while, so they wouldn't prove to be too effective.

MW

Quote from: Stu on April 09, 2012, 01:51:11 PM
]It doesn't take a genius to work out the rest.  ;)

And yet you worked it out ;)

dayvid

Quote from: Stu on April 02, 2012, 07:17:34 PM
Quote from: Roy on April 02, 2012, 04:25:29 PM
Talking about through bus services between Birmingham and Wolverhampton, how many people remember the 258?  It was introduced when Harts Hill garage was closed in about 1993 and ran via Bearwood, Blackheath, Merry Hill, Kingswinford, Swindon and Wombourne.  It was a half hourly service using Metrobuses, and replaced service 566 at the Wolverhampton end.  I can't remember which garage was operated it - it could have been jointly operated by Hockley and Wolverhampton. 

It lasted until 1996 when it was split at Merry Hill, with the 258 operating to Birmingham and the new 260 operating to Wolverhampton using brand-new route branded B10B's (I think 1378-1381).

Didnt Hockley have a go of this route before closure?

I remember the old 258! I think it was operated by Wolverhampton garage, and it was a monster of a route! I recall catching it from Wolverhampton one day when I was bored, took about an hour to get to Merry Hill then another hour and a half to get to Birmingham!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk