News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

The Green Bus

Started by MW, May 29, 2012, 09:25:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

Quote from: gac_uk on June 29, 2014, 10:07:25 PM
Quote from: Winston on June 29, 2014, 07:25:16 PM
Quote from: Russ Smith on June 29, 2014, 06:51:56 PM
50 is to be every 6 minutes with slightly longer operating hours, to Maypole only. 22's peak-only as a commuter service, between Halesowen and Birmingham only, four journeys daily (can't remember, but I think some of these four are Bartley Green part routes anyway). Terminus is still Town Hall.

I would think that NX may well respond to that frequency increase

Maybe they already have responded with the introduction of the 24/7 timetable from 20th July?

Centro have to approve time slots at the Moor Street stop, and if they say that the stop is already 'full' then VOSA will refuse the registration

PM

Quote from: the trainbasher on June 29, 2014, 10:31:30 PM
Don't forget @DiamondDart the oversaturation of buses between Halesowen and Merry Hill (002 4bph, 004 2bph, 22 2bph, 141 2bph = 10bph between Merry Hill, Quarry Bank and Halesowen)

@the trainbasher I agree that there seem to be a lot but from my observations at least, it seems a busy corridor and whoever pulls into the stand towards Merry Hill-forget the letter-can get some decent loads. The Arriva 217 doesn't seem to do that badly either.

I am also surprised @Matt that you agree with the points I raised! I agree that commercial bus operation is a small part of the company but I think TGB did have the basics sorted. The 64/50 launches, with leaflets etc, showed the company to be able to master the basics and do a great job of route selection and operation. Especially on the 64, some loyal customers were quickly built up. It just seemed to the casual observer as if the launch of the 22 showed things as actually going backwards on what had been achieved before.

nitromatt1

Quote from: DiamondDart on June 30, 2014, 03:42:07 PM
Quote from: the trainbasher on June 29, 2014, 10:31:30 PM
Don't forget @DiamondDart the oversaturation of buses between Halesowen and Merry Hill (002 4bph, 004 2bph, 22 2bph, 141 2bph = 10bph between Merry Hill, Quarry Bank and Halesowen)

@the trainbasher I agree that there seem to be a lot but from my observations at least, it seems a busy corridor and whoever pulls into the stand towards Merry Hill-forget the letter-can get some decent loads. The Arriva 217 doesn't seem to do that badly either.

I am also surprised @Matt that you agree with the points I raised! I agree that commercial bus operation is a small part of the company but I think TGB did have the basics sorted. The 64/50 launches, with leaflets etc, showed the company to be able to master the basics and do a great job of route selection and operation. Especially on the 64, some loyal customers were quickly built up. It just seemed to the casual observer as if the launch of the 22 showed things as actually going backwards on what had been achieved before.

I think the main purpose of the 22 was originally to give buses not suitable for private hire (i.e. Tridents) something to do during the day, instead of sitting around the garage gathering dust. Of course this then backfired with a shortage of buses (mainly due to Tridents failing here there and everywhere!), hence its significant cut-backs. The 22 was of course the lowest priority, which is likely to be why whenever there was a shortage of buses, the 22 was the first victim.

Liverpool Street

10 pages of shit later...

@Matt, what's new with TGB? Except for taxis.
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

nitromatt1

Quote from: Liverpool Street on June 30, 2014, 09:33:20 PM

Last time one bloke off here actually phoned in asking about taxi services, so I think I'll be keeping quiet from now on @Liverpool Street!

the trainbasher

Quote from: Matt on June 30, 2014, 09:49:58 PM
Quote from: Liverpool Street on June 30, 2014, 09:33:20 PM

Last time one bloke off here actually phoned in asking about taxi services, so I think I'll be keeping quiet from now on @Liverpool Street!

Was tempted to phone to ask how much is a Green Bus taxi from Town Hall to Moor Street is...but I think i will get the 10H :-)

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

nitromatt1

You'd be quoted somewhere in the region of £200 for that @the trainbasher, as your 'taxi' would have 70 seats! Besides, private hires are fully booked till at least September.

the trainbasher

Quote from: Matt on June 30, 2014, 09:59:39 PM
You'd be quoted somewhere in the region of £200 for that @the trainbasher, as your 'taxi' would have 70 seats! Besides, private hires are fully booked till at least September.

I think I'll get the 10H :-)

As an aside, it will be interesting to see what the punters will say when the new changes come into force.

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

fleetline6477

Quote from: Matt on June 26, 2014, 02:44:56 PM
Quote from: Solo1 on June 26, 2014, 02:23:45 PM
So green bus now doing private hire with cabs as well as buses will
they b put into green bus livery

No! They're to be used where required, mainly to transport drivers to and from the city centre to save money on nBus/metro tickets.

I understood there was an understanding between bus companies that drivers were allowed to travel for free. For example, NXWM drivers regularly travel on Diamond route 42A/C, 43 to / from Depot and 4H to / from Oldbury. Diamond drivers travel for free on the Metro and I've seen NXWM drivers get on the Green Bus 22 in / out of Merry Hill for free. So why are TGB drivers having to pay on NX buses and Metro, even if not in uniform just show their pass.

nitromatt1

Quote from: fleetline6477 on June 30, 2014, 10:10:29 PM

No! They're to be used where required, mainly to transport drivers to and from the city centre to save money on nBus/metro tickets.

I understood there was an understanding between bus companies that drivers were allowed to travel for free. For example, NXWM drivers regularly travel on Diamond route 42A/C, 43 to / from Depot and 4H to / from Oldbury. Diamond drivers travel for free on the Metro and I've seen NXWM drivers get on the Green Bus 22 in / out of Merry Hill for free. So why are TGB drivers having to pay on NX buses and Metro, even if not in uniform just show their pass.

I am not sure that drivers are technically allowed to hop on other operators buses. Even if they are, it is safer to have your own vehicles ready than to have to rely on public services.

Tony

No, there is no such formal understanding, just drivers being friendly with each other

andy

Quote from: Matt on June 30, 2014, 10:16:38 PM

I am not sure that drivers are technically allowed to hop on other operators buses. Even if they are, it is safer to have your own vehicles ready than to have to rely on public services.

There was a member of Green Bus staff on my train form Sutton Coldfield to New St the other day, in full uniform and hi viz.

James4368

WMPTE 6832 is parked at depot and Trent RC7927
Local Bus Routes
58 - Yardley Swan - Solihull
60 - Birmingham - Cranes Park
99 - Lea Village - Acocks Green
S16 - Yardley Swan - Solihull
X1 - Birmingham - Coventry
X2 - Birmingham - Solihull

nitromatt1

Quote from: nxwmbusfan1999 on July 05, 2014, 10:54:26 AM
WMPTE 6832 is parked at depot

Privately owned. Along with the ex Trent bus which left yesterday.

James4368

Quote from: Matt on July 05, 2014, 11:08:50 AM
Quote from: nxwmbusfan1999 on July 05, 2014, 10:54:26 AM
WMPTE 6832 is parked at depot

Privately owned. Along with the ex Trent bus which left yesterday.
Thinks it's going Aston manor tomorrow for running day
Local Bus Routes
58 - Yardley Swan - Solihull
60 - Birmingham - Cranes Park
99 - Lea Village - Acocks Green
S16 - Yardley Swan - Solihull
X1 - Birmingham - Coventry
X2 - Birmingham - Solihull

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk