News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

What would be needed for setting up a bus company?

Started by Alex, December 14, 2014, 11:31:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

This is one of these questions that's been in my mind for ages, but never got round to asking as i'm helping my mate with business coursework. Are there any confusing regulations, commercial bias or other stuff like that, that would need to be worried about?            Cheers Alex
Hypocrites are like flares... a right pain if one goes near you, and really annoying to get rid of...

My YouTube channel: Alex Jones

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXjxo69BfENu3fiWuzCNYyg

winston

- An operator's License & Transport Manager
- Insurances
- A business bank account
- Finance to get it off the ground & to provide working capital until it is established / the business can self support - a business plan especially if borrowing money off a bank
- A limited company & VAT registration
- Appoint an accountant
- A depot / yard with maintenance facilities i.e. vehicle lifts & servicing equipment
- Staff i.e. drivers & a mechanic
- Vehicles
- Computer & software for programming LED blinds, scheduling, maintenance systems, accounting
- Ticket issuing equipment

Alex

Hypocrites are like flares... a right pain if one goes near you, and really annoying to get rid of...

My YouTube channel: Alex Jones

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXjxo69BfENu3fiWuzCNYyg

the trainbasher

Quote from: Winston on December 14, 2014, 11:41:39 PM
- Insurances
- Finance to get it off the ground & to provide working capital until it is established / the business can self support - a business plan if borrowing off a bank
- A limited company & VAT registration *
- A depot / yard with maintenance facilities
- Staff i.e. drivers & a mechanic**
- Vehicles

* - Not Necessary to be a LTD company. Bus operators can run as Sole Traders in law, examples such as GRS Travel, HiRide, JPT, Sunny Travel.
** - Not Necessary to have staff if its just one person and his bus. Example HiRide and his 40X...He is IIRC his own TM, Mechanic and Driver.

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

winston

Quote from: the trainbasher on December 15, 2014, 12:28:07 AM
Quote from: Winston on December 14, 2014, 11:41:39 PM
- Insurances
- Finance to get it off the ground & to provide working capital until it is established / the business can self support - a business plan if borrowing off a bank
- A limited company & VAT registration *
- A depot / yard with maintenance facilities
- Staff i.e. drivers & a mechanic**
- Vehicles

* - Not Necessary to be a LTD company. Bus operators can run as Sole Traders in law, examples such as GRS Travel, HiRide, JPT, Sunny Travel.
** - Not Necessary to have staff if its just one person and his bus. Example HiRide and his 40X...He is IIRC his own TM, Mechanic and Driver.

I know they aren't necessary and all shining examples there. But operating as a sole trader, if the company fails your personal assets will be taken in to account against your liabilities. Operating as Ltd company is much safer.

And how many HiRides do you see about? And what happens when your off sick & can't operate to your registered timetable?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk