News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Pushchair users v Wheelchair user

Started by windy miller, November 20, 2014, 01:38:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Mike K on December 11, 2014, 10:38:57 PM
Advocating compulsory folding up of buggies is unrealistic these days. Like it or not, a bit like modern cars, modern buggies are huge compared to how they were a few decades back. Many of them are 'transport systems' incorporating car seats and all sorts. Both my kids have been out of pushchairs for a little while now but take it from me, getting on a bus with a 2 year old and a 4 year old, trying to fold a modern buggy whilst attempting to hold a 2 year old and stopping the 4 year old falling flat on her face is no laughing matter.

I know parents had to do this years ago. But wheelchair users had to take a taxi years ago. Times change, pushchairs have changed, buses have changed.

The situation that prompted all this debate is an unusual one. There are relatively few wheelchair bus users and most parents with buggies would do what they could to help accommodate the wheelchair on the bus. We should get things into perspective.

Very diplomatic Michael.

Next thing is you'll be calling Christmas 'Winter Festival'.

(Hahaha! ;-) )
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

Mike K

Just saying it as I see it LS.

And another thing. Being able to push a buggy straight onto a bus helps speed up loading and unloading times. Right, I've said my piece. Happy Christmas.

Stuharris 6360

This is leading to a very healthy debate, not only on here but other forums as well.

What we DON't know in all of this is the position of the pushchair owner who wouldn't move and caused this whole case to go to court. Was she just being pedantic and saying, i was here first and i ain't folding my pushchair for anyone, OR was she taking her sick child to the doctors and wouldn't move and fold the pushchair because she was thinking of the welfare of the child OR any other number of reasons? Sadly we will never know.

I agree with Tonys comment that this shouldn't go any further, you cannot put the onus on the driver in these cases to sort the problem out. You have to rely on peoples decency and respect where pushchairs are concerned and wheelchairs users have to understand occasionally that they may not be able to board the bus of there choice!!
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk