News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Poll - Should Child Fares Increase?

Started by the trainbasher, November 12, 2014, 06:12:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

% of subsidy centro should give

15%
1 (4.2%)
30%
1 (4.2%)
33%
2 (8.3%)
50%
6 (25%)
75%
2 (8.3%)
100% (free travel like London)
2 (8.3%)
0% (No Subsidy - Operators charge what they like)
10 (41.7%)

Total Members Voted: 24

the trainbasher

As we all know child fares discount is subsidised by Centro, but Centro needs, like all local authorities needs to make significant budget cuts. So what i am asking is what proportion of subsidy should Centro give to child fares?

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

andrew1991

Quote from: the trainbasher on November 12, 2014, 06:12:26 PM
As we all know child fares discount is subsidised by Centro, but Centro needs, like all local authorities needs to make significant budget cuts. So what i am asking is what proportion of subsidy should Centro give to child fares?

None, a child seated takes the same space a seated adult takes

Isle of Stroma

Quote from: Andrew on November 12, 2014, 06:34:29 PM

So, no more concessionary passes either, then?

PM

How much are they currently subsidised by? I know they're around half fare but how much of that is down to subsidy and how much due to competition/market demands?

Would fares increase without subsidy? Diamond would probably still do the £1.50 child return...

andrew1991

Quote from: dave47549 (no longer NEL111P) on November 12, 2014, 06:48:46 PM

Concessionary pass holders can, i just don't like children with no manners who won't give their seat to someone who needs it more.

Stu

I remember years ago, in the old 'Terms & Conditions of Carriage' notices that used to be up on display in all buses, it did used to state somewhere that 'children should not be seated while adults are standing'.

I can understand the reasoning behind this statement, considering what I know about how child fares are subsidised, however I can't help but feel there is some silly EU Human Rights Law, or equality directive, that stops this from being enforced nowadays.

But I do agree, it does seem a bit unfair that an adult paying full fare has to stand, while some child who's ticket is subsidised takes up a seat (especially when the parent could quite easily put the child on their lap - I'm referring here to the little under-5 toddlers who travel for free of course).
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Bearing in mind we hope these children will be bus users of the future, as without them our industry and your service has a grim outlook...

karl724223

Child fares should be a flat rate of a £1

PM

Quote from: Andrew on November 12, 2014, 06:59:59 PM

Concessionary pass holders can, i just don't like children with no manners who won't give their seat to someone who needs it more.

Who probably won't have paid-as they're a concessionary pass holder...

Liberator9

Revenue from child fares is useful for NX - certainly provides some good money during the school term, when school runs are provided and the buses tend to be packed with school kids. Start putting the child fares up to adult fares then I am pretty sure the number of school kids fall, revenue falls and congestion increases as parents drive them into school. Although would this apply to the passes as well?

Mike K

No child fares shouldn't increase. Because I've got kids. And I'm skint.

Isle of Stroma

Quote from: Andrew on November 12, 2014, 06:59:59 PM

Ah, so now you're either generalising (for the record, not all kids have been dragged up to be mannerless little b@$tards, my two haven't for a start), or discriminating (count all the concessionaries/adults etc that occupy two seats, either with their overupholstered ar$es or with their shopping).

And yes, since redundancy, I haven't got a pot to p!ss in either, so I won't be taking too kindly to child fares rising whilst others go free.

Liverpool Street

I think it should be a flat fare of £5 single, £9 return regardless of age, colour, gender, disability, religion, sexual orientation etc

...unless you're Mike K and you're allowed everything for free as he has a conservatory.
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

Mike K

Quote from: Liverpool Street on November 13, 2014, 09:32:19 AM
I think it should be a flat fare of £5 single, £9 return regardless of age, colour, gender, disability, religion, sexual orientation etc

...unless you're Mike K and you're allowed everything for free as he has a conservatory.

Have you been peering over my garden fence LS? If so you've got the wrong house as I don't have a conservatory  :o

hartshill busman 724210

I think I`m right in saying that child travelcards are also topped up by centro too. This is what they are there to do,put bums on seats
If centro want to save money, put a hold on everything to do with anything except supporting the supply of services to the public.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk