News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Platinum

Started by JoNi, October 09, 2014, 09:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Real 4778

Quote from: karl724223 on July 21, 2016, 02:36:57 PM
not really snetters don't travel that far because of the asbo tags on there ankles they have to be home for 1900

You DID notice my spelling of PN, I trust?  ;)
Don't you start.

Tiptonian

I do not get back to the West Midlands very often, am getting old, and have health problems  :'(  . I feel a lot of discomfort when travelling.
Last time I was here, a journey on a Trident (route 529) was immediately followed by a Platinum MMC (X51). Having memories of the Walsall to Birmingham Timesavers, I was looking forward to it. Though I noted the extra legroom of the Platinum, I did not like the seat. The cushion was too firm and the seat back was too upright and not supportive. When demands were made on the suspension, far too many hard bumps came through to the occupants. Rather than considering it a premium service, I was glad to be off the vehicle. Even the livery is, I feel, less classy looking than the crimson. 
My next two buses were a crimson MMC and 3301. I found the seats on all three of the other vehicles more comfortable than the Platinum, (softer cushion, dished supportive seat backs), and the suspension on 3301 far superior to the others; indeed it was nearly as good as I remember the B7TL/Plaxtons when they were new. The only "premium" feature I see in the X51 is the faster running time.
I appreciate that many aspects of bus travel are subjective to an enthusiast, but not to my joints and myalgia! Some of my views on buses past and present would surprise many, but to me, Platinum is all image and no substance, and is certainly not worth a premium fare.

Stuharris 6360

6720 currntly parked on Bus Stop J at Stourbridge Bus station.

Bit odd as no Stourbridge services are getting Platinum?
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

James4368

Local Bus Routes
58 - Yardley Swan - Solihull
60 - Birmingham - Cranes Park
99 - Lea Village - Acocks Green
S16 - Yardley Swan - Solihull
X1 - Birmingham - Coventry
X2 - Birmingham - Solihull

Stu

Popped over to Meriden this afternoon on the 900, actually the furthest I've been on the route since it was upgraded to Platinum!

A certain someone elsewhere often complains about how 'slow' and 'sluggish' the E400MMC Platinums are, but I would tend to disagree; under the right circumstances (ie less traffic and late running!) they really do shift, especially along the long stretches of the A45 without stops, my return bus did Meriden Green to the Airport in 10mins, must have easily been doing 50mph.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

MW

Quote from: Stu on August 20, 2016, 07:31:16 PM
Popped over to Meriden this afternoon on the 900, actually the furthest I've been on the route since it was upgraded to Platinum!

A certain someone elsewhere often complains about how 'slow' and 'sluggish' the E400MMC Platinums are, but I would tend to disagree; under the right circumstances (ie less traffic and late running!) they really do shift, especially along the long stretches of the A45 without stops, my return bus did Meriden Green to the Airport in 10mins, must have easily been doing 50mph.

Come on, 50mph is nothing. I've done that on the 37 route lol

GeminiFan1991

Quote from: MW on August 20, 2016, 07:46:21 PM

Traffic Office: Exactly when !

I remember being in a car doing 50mph and a Trident kept up with us so much so we couldn't pull into the Bus Lane to come off the dual carriageway
Please check out my Bus Photos @

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128406405@N06/

Trident 4194

Just before coming into Solihull? The e200 mmc are very fast.

Ashley 60171

Our 200MMC's are slow compared to some other companies examples.

The 400MMC's as Stu says. Right place, right time, buffeting!

Ronnoc

Quote from: GeminiFan1991 on August 20, 2016, 08:22:10 PM
Traffic Office: Exactly when !

I remember being in a car doing 50mph and a Trident kept up with us so much so we couldn't pull into the Bus Lane to come off the dual carriageway
I had a similar situation when I was doing 40 and a Trident was overtaking quite quickly.

BU07 LGO

Quote from: Stu on August 20, 2016, 07:31:16 PM

They're fine once moving but pull off is very slow! Especially onto a busy island the only way is to rev with handbrake and use it for a boost!

dw1308

Correct me if I am wrong but I am pretty sure I read somewhere on this forum or somewhere else on the net that the E400 MMC that is used for the 900 are limited to 62mph for the long stretch of the Coventry road between Meriden and coventry? Although I do remember being on 6704 going along the perimeter road of the airport easily doing 55mph looking at the speedo from the seat over the front axle by the door

MW

Quote from: dw1308 on August 21, 2016, 02:13:34 AM
Correct me if I am wrong but I am pretty sure I read somewhere on this forum or somewhere else on the net that the E400 MMC that is used for the 900 are limited to 62mph for the long stretch of the Coventry road between Meriden and coventry? Although I do remember being on 6704 going along the perimeter road of the airport easily doing 55mph looking at the speedo from the seat over the front axle by the door

Yeah as far as I'm aware, the Platinum ones are limited to 62, whilst the normal ones aren't. Normal ones are around 44 I'd imagine

B.C Driver

From what I can gather the Platinums at my garage have a tv screen in the cab that can be switched from upper saloon view to showing the outside of the bus. That is all well and good, but why oh why dont bus manufacturers ever ask drivers what they would like to see on their buses. For example a tv screen focused on the upstairs back seat rather than the side of the vehicle.
4444 -The Star Wars Bus

- May the 4s be with you!

MW

Quote from: Bham Central Driver on September 03, 2016, 07:55:49 PM
From what I can gather the Platinums at my garage have a tv screen in the cab that can be switched from upper saloon view to showing the outside of the bus. That is all well and good, but why oh why dont bus manufacturers ever ask drivers what they would like to see on their buses. For example a tv screen focused on the upstairs back seat rather than the side of the vehicle.

The AG ones have that. You've got to keep the button pressed to see the sides of the bus. Never used it, don't think anyone has lol. A reversing camera would be more useful in garage

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk