News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Centenary Square tomorrow

Started by Liverpool Street, August 14, 2014, 06:18:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BU07 LGO

Quote from: Winston on August 20, 2014, 09:33:55 PM
Quote from: Andrew on August 20, 2014, 08:49:13 PM
Quote from David Bradford via a friend.

We're looking at two variations for the new livery. The platinum buses (the ones to go on the 900/957 and Walsall Road services) will be silvery grey and black. The 'normal' buses, for example on the 126 (hopefully) will probably be a variation on the red we currently use, but looking much more modern and appealing. We're about to paint a prototype with a new design. I agree with you the red and white isn't good - it was a bad decision by previous management of National Express Group (not anyone locally). But now everything is red we don't want to spend seven years changing back to blue and having a messy fleet, even though it would look better at the end. So a nicer evolution of red is the current plans - and hopefully they'll enter service in early 2015.

Would the Walsall Rd services only be the 51/X51? I'm assuming this is the first 'Gold Corridor' could it be possible that the 934/935/936 & 997 are also included which use part of the Walsall Road between Perry Barr & City Centre?

There were quite a few bad decisions around that time by the former NX group management headed by Richard Bowker  ::)

Technically Walsall road only starts after one stop, the bit they use is Birchfield road (a34_)

winston

Quote from: BU07 LGO on August 21, 2014, 11:30:02 AM
Quote from: Winston on August 20, 2014, 09:33:55 PM
Quote from: Andrew on August 20, 2014, 08:49:13 PM
Quote from David Bradford via a friend.

We're looking at two variations for the new livery. The platinum buses (the ones to go on the 900/957 and Walsall Road services) will be silvery grey and black. The 'normal' buses, for example on the 126 (hopefully) will probably be a variation on the red we currently use, but looking much more modern and appealing. We're about to paint a prototype with a new design. I agree with you the red and white isn't good - it was a bad decision by previous management of National Express Group (not anyone locally). But now everything is red we don't want to spend seven years changing back to blue and having a messy fleet, even though it would look better at the end. So a nicer evolution of red is the current plans - and hopefully they'll enter service in early 2015.

Would the Walsall Rd services only be the 51/X51? I'm assuming this is the first 'Gold Corridor' could it be possible that the 934/935/936 & 997 are also included which use part of the Walsall Road between Perry Barr & City Centre?

There were quite a few bad decisions around that time by the former NX group management headed by Richard Bowker  ::)

Technically Walsall road only starts after one stop, the bit they use is Birchfield road (a34_)

Okay fair enough, thanks for that!

RW

Tony I have to admit I'm a little confused on the subject of NXWM's future livery for its vehicles. The above posts suggest that there will, not surprisingly, be a specific livery for 'Platinum' vehicles but also that consideration is being given to tweaking the standard red and white livery which is now seen as a 'mistake'. As we near the final stages of the current fleet repaint can you clarify the position with regard to the future livery?

Tony

Quote from: RW on October 11, 2014, 09:36:52 PM
Tony I have to admit I'm a little confused on the subject of NXWM's future livery for its vehicles. The above posts suggest that there will, not surprisingly, be a specific livery for 'Platinum' vehicles but also that consideration is being given to tweaking the standard red and white livery which is now seen as a 'mistake'. As we near the final stages of the current fleet repaint can you clarify the position with regard to the future livery?

All I can say is the commercial team are reviewing the current livery

don

Quote from: Tony on October 11, 2014, 10:06:38 PM

Hopefully using professional design support - the latest branding combined with the standard current NXWM livery looks excellent - so much better than previous attempts at branding. Presumably assisted by a professional design company (the branding).

Would a revised livery design have to be approved by the NX board?

I don't know what other people feel about this but I'm pleased NX is looking at a new livery for platinum routes but am not so keen, having taken seven years to get the fleet into one livery, that they start the process all over again. Given that livery is generally the province of professional designers these days Im slightly worried any new one must give brand continuity and must also be on a par with the best modern ones around the country.
Bustimes.org - armchair bus chasing at its best
wmbusphotos.com - armchair bus spotting and news at its best.

Current 'special passenger validation' permit held.

Liberator9

As long as they keep the red and white, with the NX branding, then continuity will be kept. It will just be good to have all the fleet in NX livery, whatever the design. The recent route branding is excellent though, with the colour lines and names.

Tony

Quote from: don on October 12, 2014, 10:42:51 AM
Quote from: Tony on October 11, 2014, 10:06:38 PM

Hopefully using professional design support - the latest branding combined with the standard current NXWM livery looks excellent - so much better than previous attempts at branding. Presumably assisted by a professional design company (the branding).

No current branding is all designed in house

RW

Let's just hope that NX Commercial Team see this as an opportunity to tinker with the livery to drag it into the 21st Century. If 'we' are serious about getting people out of their cars etc and onto public transport we need to make the goods attractive in every sense of the word and the appearance of NX vehicles and the publics perception of them is key to achieving that objective. In all honesty I doubt whether the current simplistic livery gets more than a passing glance, if that. Before anyone says that liveries have no impact on levels of usage or public perception I would ask why bother at all then. Simply paint them in the cheapest possible all over colour and be done with it. But I don't accept that argument. A well turned out vehicle with an eye catching livery can attract attention and impact on levels of usage to everyone's benefit.

Trident 4194

Quote from: RW on October 14, 2014, 04:55:35 PM
Let's just hope that NX Commercial Team see this as an opportunity to tinker with the livery to drag it into the 21st Century. If 'we' are serious about getting people out of their cars etc and onto public transport we need to make the goods attractive in every sense of the word and the appearance of NX vehicles and the publics perception of them is key to achieving that objective. In all honesty I doubt whether the current simplistic livery gets more than a passing glance, if that. Before anyone says that liveries have no impact on levels of usage or public perception I would ask why bother at all then. Simply paint them in the cheapest possible all over colour and be done with it. But I don't accept that argument. A well turned out vehicle with an eye catching livery can attract attention and impact on levels of usage to everyone's benefit.

I totally agree I think that the sapphire livery is one of the nicest I've ever seen, and is very eye catching

Stu

I have to disagree slightly, I think passengers are more concerned with the appearance and condition of the bus internally, rather than what colour or livery it is. Having a nice shiny eyecatching livery doesn't help if the interior of the bus is filthy, with threadbare seats and chicken bones on the floor.  ;)
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

CL

Well said. I think the logo is fine (after years of trial & error (PN Enviros)) - however, and I agree with you here, the livery could do with some adjustments... (Hope we get to see mock ups :P)
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

arrifirststage

I am tempted to think that almost any livery must be an improvement except black........Diamond used to look like a fleet of hearses.

RW

Don't think we're at odds Stu. I said ' ..a well turned out vehicle with an eye catching livery....'. The 'well turned out' referring to all other aspects of the vehicles presentation including the interior. I think there's a growing feeling that there is a need for some changes to the livery, especially having regard to future deliveries of the impressive 'new' E400. NX shouldn't rest on its laurels if it is to be seen as a progressive company.

Mike K

Agree with the sentiments on the interior bus including cleanliness, but I also think that livery is very important. Take the Pete's Travel PO51xxx Tridents when new. That livery was horrific and you can't polish a turd. Then consider for example the Transdev Yorkshire Coastliner livery. All other things being equal which livery is likely to catch the eye and tempt people to use a bus out of those two?

You'll never get people out of there comfy cars no matter how good the bus is , even with leather seats,blinging paint work, wifi, blah blah, because there's no stopping the riff raff who don't give a shit about any thing or any body, talk abosulute crap while chomping on 99p chicken wings which end up every where. Worst thing about it bus company's expect decent people to pay to sit next to the shite.   
I have a free bus pass and I hate getting on bus full of gangster wannabes, I walk when ever I can or wait for a diamond/ arriva bus. I spend enough time driving turds about last thing I want to do is sit next to them. Sorry if this sounds harsh bit it's true.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk