News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Dudley Bus Station

Started by domino.99, August 08, 2014, 07:21:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrew1991

Quote from: TinnedPeaches on August 09, 2014, 03:48:35 PM
Ha! Yes. There were more workmen working on the road repairs during the busiest point of Friday afternoon than I've seen working on those improvements since they began.

Wasn't castle street supposed to have been finished end of may, then the broadway closed one way and castle street one way system reversed while they did the earl of dudley statue (which they're no longer doing)

Roy

According to today's Express & Star, Dudley Council are hoping that work will start shortly on a £9m revamp of Dudley Bus Station.  Given that Cradley Heath was costed at £1.9m to knock down and rebuild, it would appear that Dudley Bus Station will be getting a lot more than a new coat of paint!

Stu

Quote from: Roy on May 11, 2015, 02:07:13 PM
According to today's Express & Star, Dudley Council are hoping that work will start shortly on a £9m revamp of Dudley Bus Station.  Given that Cradley Heath was costed at £1.9m to knock down and rebuild, it would appear that Dudley Bus Station will be getting a lot more than a new coat of paint!

Whatever happened to the Portersfield retail development? That was meant to be the key to the future of the bus station. Seems pointless otherwise revamping the current bus station if its going to get relocated in the near future.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

GeminiFan1991

I can only apologize if this sounds fantastically stupid but I didn't want to start a new thread on this and seeing this topic is in relation to what i want to know, I'll state it here. ......... Whats a Bus Station ?! Off the bat, I'm assuming it's a collection of bus stops were a number of routes converge before splitting off. I only ask it because there isn't 1 nearby me and I've just started hearing about them and that's what I've been able to gather.

Am I wrong ?!
Please check out my Bus Photos @

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128406405@N06/

danny

@BusFan you've pretty much hit the nail on the head... Designated lanes and stops for which buses terminate or cross in a central location for any town or city... May I suggest you take a trip to west brom or stourbridge... Their quite nice bus station's.
Danny :) proud swift, mango and oyster user...

My locals 12, 12A, 13, 22, 126, and the sixes every weekend :)

GeminiFan1991

Quote from: danny on May 11, 2015, 10:56:38 PM
@BusFan you've pretty much hit the nail on the head... Designated lanes and stops for which buses terminate or cross in a central location for any town or city... May I suggest you take a trip to west brom or stourbridge... Their quite nice bus station's.

Thank God ! I've seen a few photos so nice to know I was right ! From what I've seen they seem to be a hub for buses which seems to be a good place to go for a bus enthusiast. As for West Brom or Stourbridge, the latter is to far for me although I'll give West Brom a look into soon enough, I need to start adding to my Flickr account. Thanks Mate.

Ashley 60171

Bus Station can also be defined as a place where the chavvy urchens loiter, plus bus spotters. Dudley is basically one huge smoking shelter so Dudley Council could save most of that £9 million by getting the NHS down flogging quit smoking gear. Oh and please Centro change your audio announcements, its just one useless cycle of inaudible dribble. As for West Bromwich bus station, a few cans of Air Wick, a bottle of bleach and a mop wouldn't do much harm, anything to get rid of the pigeons. Rant over

the trainbasher

@Ashley 60171 would a shotgun work for both the Chavs and the Pigeons?

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Ashley 60171

Quote from: the trainbasher on May 12, 2015, 12:38:23 AM
@Ashley 60171 would a shotgun work for both the Chavs and the Pigeons?

A huge Nicorette patch for Dudley. West Brom can lure the pigeons out with some bread. I mean, how hard can it be? :P

GeminiFan1991

Drive a Spectra into West Brom, the chavs will get disgusted and leave and then retire the Spectras ! Win Win !

Ashley 60171

Quote from: BusFan on May 12, 2015, 12:46:14 AM
Drive a Spectra into West Brom, the chavs will get disgusted and leave and then retire the Spectras ! Win Win !

It would take more than a Spectra to move people along. I know other members would use stronger words to describe both locations and without sounding as though I'm backing down. I do feel somewhat safer in Dudley late evening compared to West Brom which is a place where you make zero eye contact. On an unrelated note, bus stations are too big and unnecessary and theres far too much glass and thats a nit pick you can use nationwide, for example Hanley bus station must have been sponsered by Selfridges. Yes I'll hush up, I apologise.

GeminiFan1991

I'm from the West Side of Birmingham so I can somewhat feel your pain as it ain't summer over here as well ! If driving a Spectra won't work, I suggest crashing 1 !

Ashley 60171

Quote from: BusFan on May 12, 2015, 01:18:34 AM
I'm from the West Side of Birmingham so I can somewhat feel your pain as it ain't summer over here as well ! If driving a Spectra won't work, I suggest crashing 1 !

Roy

Quote from: Roy on May 11, 2015, 02:07:13 PM

Back on topic.

As usual, the Express and Star have got it wrong.  The £9m quoted is for a number of improvements, one of which is refurbishment of Dudley Bus Station.  So it could be a new coat of paint!

Jack6101

Keep seeing contractors with a centro guy working around the bus station and by the bus shop they have took the glass panel out to get to something
Local routes
74-Dudley -great bridge-west Brom-soho road-hockey-Birmingham
87-Dudley-tividale-oldbury-smethick-Dudley road , city hosp, Birmingham
126-Dudley-Birchley island-bearwood-Birmingham
14- Dudley - Oakham -whiteheath- blackheath- Quinton - helsowen
14A- Dudley - Oakham ( city road ) - blackheath - oldhill - Cradley Heath- quarry bank - merry hill

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk