News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Cradley Heath/Blackheath/Rowley 2015 Change ideas

Started by the trainbasher, August 02, 2014, 11:53:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

s94

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on August 09, 2014, 10:17:44 PM
Quote from: the trainbasher on August 08, 2014, 10:56:19 PM
Couple more ideas

243 - withdraw the merry hill to Cradley link (possible diversion of the 241 or even diversion of the tendered 208 via Maypole Fields and Bower Lane for replacement?) with the 243 going back to its previous route in Cradley/Timbertree.

297 - extended to Dudley via Gornal to replace the 27A route. The 27A would then follow the existing 27 route as far as where it meets the 1, then follows the 1 into Dudley

276/X96 - split at Stourbridge with Norton gaining instead a half hourly Stourbridge - Wollaston Farm via Norton service. This also will replace the X96 Wollaston bit but leaving the Wollaston to Stourbridge direct link to Hansons.

276 - instead extended to Priory estate (via former 222A routing) to allow the 81 to run direct along Priory Road.

205 - completely withdraw the section serving the trading estate. 257 off peak to replace.

I was thinking about the X96/276 the other day, as the X96 mainly uses B7Rles, why not divert it to Wollaston Junction via Norton whilst the 276 could do the Wollaston Farm bit and the Tridents could be reintroduced on it! Probably might be to confusing to people unless you totally renumbered the services.
This would seem good to me. Some 276 services are really full on single decks and really could do with the DD back on them. I dont think the 276 should go beyond Dudley though, certainly not in its present state of using single decks. It cant take much more especially between Dudley and Pedmore at peaks!!! Primary focus needs to be taking the route off where the trees are so troublesome in Norton.  Perhaps just take it via South Road and leave the The Broadway etc to the 288 or maybe extend the 287/240 or even let the X96 do this.

With regard to other changes above, having seen 243 loadings near Merry Hill recently, im actually shocked this service still exists at this end and fully agree about getting rid of the Merry Hill end. Makes the 297 when it existed between MH and Halesowen seem like it was heaving!!! (I dont think the 241 is doing any better than the old 297 though!) Perhaps have the 208 replace this section around Bower Lane etc.

I do think the current 297 could take in Sedgley though perhaps. On he subject of the 297, why is there a 297A Stickley to Halesowen timetable still on the Network West Midlands website?

I would take the 53 or 4M and have one of those go via Dudley Wood as already mentioned. Most of those on this route would just be passing Cradley Heath/Quarry Bank and could better serve the more residential Saltwells/Dudley Wood imo. I still believe the ridiculously high frequency of services on QB High st is not an overall economic use of buses, using this way perhaps only because it is slightly shorter? Most areas would cry for just a fraction of the services QB High st has sadly. Whilst as a high st it needs its fair share of services, surely their high frequency means most buses are running emptier than they could be overall.

sonic84

I agree.  I think the 53 could be a good candidate to take in Saltwells, and keep the 4M to the main high street.

I don't think I will ever understand the logic of the 241 going to Merry Hill and simply following the same route as the 141.

Perhaps the 244 could be diverted to serve Lodgefield Road and Old Hill Station again. 

Alternatively, could the 241 be curtailed to run to Halesowen - Dudley, and the 231 be extended from Blackheath towards Old Hill Station via Gorsty Hill and onwards to Cradley Heath and Saltwells to Merry Hill.

s94

Quote from: sonic84 on August 14, 2014, 06:38:06 PM
I agree.  I think the 53 could be a good candidate to take in Saltwells, and keep the 4M to the main high street.

I don't think I will ever understand the logic of the 241 going to Merry Hill and simply following the same route as the 141.

Perhaps the 244 could be diverted to serve Lodgefield Road and Old Hill Station again. 

Alternatively, could the 241 be curtailed to run to Halesowen - Dudley, and the 231 be extended from Blackheath towards Old Hill Station via Gorsty Hill and onwards to Cradley Heath and Saltwells to Merry Hill.
Indeed, some sensible ideas there. Sill yet to see the top deck of a 241 barely used. Some really unthoughtful changes in my opinion. I do hope NXWM realise how quiet the 243 is for much of the time at the MH end. Resources that could be much better utilised elsewhere.

I dont think the 282 will survive the upcoming tender changes around October if that is right. Having said that it could possibly be incorporated into some other route like the 208/124.

the trainbasher

Quote from: s94 on August 15, 2014, 09:03:48 PM

Indeed, some sensible ideas there. Sill yet to see the top deck of a 241 barely used. Some really unthoughtful changes in my opinion. I do hope NXWM realise how quiet the 243 is for much of the time at the MH end. Resources that could be much better utilised elsewhere.

I dont think the 282 will survive the upcoming tender changes around October if that is right. Having said that it could possibly be incorporated into some other route like the 208/124.

according to a list i have the 282/124/HAN 208 ends in October 2014, the MRN 208 ends in April 2017

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

s94

Quote from: the trainbasher on August 15, 2014, 10:27:20 PM
Quote from: s94 on August 15, 2014, 09:03:48 PM

according to a list i have the 282/124/HAN 208 ends in October 2014, the MRN 208 ends in April 2017
Indeed, can definitely see changes to the 282/124/208. Might find out in the next month or so.

the trainbasher

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

s94

Quote from: the trainbasher on August 17, 2014, 08:50:16 PM
I meant 2015 (bloody typo of mine!!)
Ahaha, no problem! Do you know what routes are up for tender this autumn in the area?

the trainbasher

This is the list centro sent me under FOI. Some entries on there haven't been altered...

Also you may need to tilt your head left!!

Sh4318

It seems like the 141 is one of those routes that is set in stone and will be around for a very long time. The problem seems to be finding the other route that supplements the 141 between Merry Hill and Halesowen, therefore maintaining the 4 buses per hour/every 15 minute frequency. I didn't think there was a problem with the 99/138, it did the intended job very well (in my opinion), now you have the 141 and another route which seems to be changed every year. I don't know if the 241 is the solution, but I don't know what is, they've seemed to have tested and tried every other route... 222, 297/A. I would probably just include 141E shorts between Halesowen and Merry Hill, saying that, the 241 extension is essentially the same thing (two routes in one)
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Kevin

Quote from: Sh4318 on August 18, 2014, 11:16:17 PM
It seems like the 141 is one of those routes that is set in stone and will be around for a very long time. The problem seems to be finding the other route that supplements the 141 between Merry Hill and Halesowen, therefore maintaining the 4 buses per hour/every 15 minute frequency. I didn't think there was a problem with the 99/138, it did the intended job very well (in my opinion), now you have the 141 and another route which seems to be changed every year. I don't know if the 241 is the solution, but I don't know what is, they've seemed to have tested and tried every other route... 222, 297/A. I would probably just include 141E shorts between Halesowen and Merry Hill, saying that, the 241 extension is essentially the same thing (two routes in one)

Why not just a 15 min frequency on the 141? Extra capacity on the Hagley Road surely worth something?
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Sh4318

Quote from: Kevin on August 20, 2014, 09:31:07 PM
Quote from: Sh4318 on August 18, 2014, 11:16:17 PM

Why not just a 15 min frequency on the 141? Extra capacity on the Hagley Road surely worth something?

That's essentially what the 99 was, but that got scrapped
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk