News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Rectory Road / Riland Road

Started by Ossie, July 31, 2014, 10:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ossie

Now that the Rectory Road railway bridge in Sutton Coldfield has been totally rebuilt (without the road-narrowing arches), wouldn't it be an idea to relieve the awful congestion in Riland Road by diverting at least the 904 from Good Hope up the hill, then down into Sutton Parade from the Lichfield Road (the old 119 route)? 

Riland Road is getting beyond a joke these days - it took outward-bound 4938 on the 914 a good couple of minutes to inch past an inward-bound 2122 on the 71 last Tuesday, late morning, and I do mean inch .... I was on the lower deck of 4938 and I reckon the clearance at one stage was little more than 6 inches.  Very skillful driving.  Additionally, there was a 904 Falcon Lodge in front of us, and a 75 coming in from Coleshill behind 2122 ........

Kevin

Yeah that stretch is beyond a joke, never understood why they insisted sending all the routes round there, especially with the 3 way lights under the bridge
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

andy

The original reasoning was that all double decker routes used Riland Road due to the limited clearance on Rectory (even though most deckers would go through the centre comfortably) and the single deck routes like the 71 used it in order to face the correct way on the Parade and avoid the awkward right turn and lengthy delays at the top of Trinity hill.

Sutton has never worked as a bus hub. This is just one of the factors.

Riland Road is worse than ever now with virtual permanent double banks of parked vehicles. I have always wondered why NX don't divert either the 904 or 115 straight up the Coleshill Road as only one of them is required to provide a link to Good Hope from Falcon Lodge or Erdington when there is the 110 aswell.

Personally I think it's time the whole of the Sutton Coldfield 'network' got a rethink, principally as it doesn't really have one.

Ossie

What I suggested appears to have come to pass!  Whether temporary or permanent, I don't know, but the Arriva 110 and the NXWM 904 were certainly using Rectory Road under the rail bridge as a "bypass" of Riland Road this lunchtime. 

Thing is, with the 110, I noted two services using Riland Road, and three services using Rectory Road direct!! :D

From what I could see, though, no bus-stop signs have been amended in Riland Road.  Anyone know what's going on?

John

As of 31st August, 904s city bound use Rectory Rd instead of Riland Rd, permanent route change

Ossie

Kevin

Yeah me mate gets the 110 to work in Tamworth and he mentioned the bus suddenly going a quicker route, need to ask him if it's both ways though

Ossie

Kevin, my observations yesterday:

Birmingham bound services - two buses seen using the new route
Tamworth bound services - two buses seen using the old Riland Road route and one seen using the new route!!

Be interesting to see what your mate says!

Kevin

Quote from: Ossie on September 10, 2014, 12:51:38 PM
Kevin, my observations yesterday:

Birmingham bound services - two buses seen using the new route
Tamworth bound services - two buses seen using the old Riland Road route and one seen using the new route!!

Be interesting to see what your mate says!

Both journeys he gets (about 07:50 through Sutton outbound and 18:00 inbound) have used Rectory road this week. He noticed it monday morning so may well have done it last week and he didnt notice

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk