News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Merry hill road works

Started by karl724223, July 15, 2014, 09:06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karl724223

Sign popped up today by KFC roadworks for three months starting 14th july expect delays

Stuharris 6360

Thats a bit late, it's the 15th today.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

karl724223

Yep that's what the sign says

karl724223

Workmen been marking roads and pavements today with spray paint

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: karl724223 on July 15, 2014, 09:28:26 PM
Yep that's what the sign says

Don't doubt it Karl, just can't understand why they don't get their act together and put signs up well in advance.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

the trainbasher

@Stuharris 6360 @karl724223 yeah it's all red tape and paperwork!

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

karl724223

the trainbasher

The Centro article

Quote from: http://www.centro.org.uk/about-us/news/2014/work-begins-on-£12-million-merry-hill-road-improvements/

£1.2 million road improvements through Better Bus Area Fund

Work has begun on a £1.2 million bus priority and road improvement scheme in the Black Country.

It will see a new crossing facility on the A4036 Pedmore Road and some bus priority measures on The Boulevard, the main connecting road between Merry Hill Shopping Centre and Brierley Hill High Street.

The scheme starts on Monday (July 14) and is scheduled to finish by December.

It is being carried out by Dudley Borough Council on behalf of Centro, the region's transport authority, thanks to a multi-million pound grant from the Government's Better Bus Area Fund.

Centro received £5 million - the maximum award possible - and this has been supplemented by £5 million from local sources.

Cllr John McNicholas, the chairman of Centro, said: "The money we have received from the fund will result in many newer, more modern buses coming into operation in the Brierley Hill area.

"The highway improvements we are making will help ensure better journey times and increased reliability for bus services."

The new crossing will provide a safe link for the neighbouring Quarry Bank housing estate to the Merry Hill centre.

The bus priority system will come into effect at the Mill Street end of The Boulevard.

Councillor Khurshid Ahmed, Dudley Council cabinet member for transport, said: "I'm delighted that Centro was successful in its bid for this funding which will facilitate improvements to the highway.

"This work will make it easier for people to access public transport and Merry Hill Shopping Centre, which I am sure will be a boost for the local economy and for shoppers."

The Department for Transport's Better Bus Area Fund allows transport authorities to bid for up to £5 million to encourage bus travel through schemes that improve accessibility to jobs, education, training, leisure and health services, and reduce congestion.

Each award has to be matched by locally sourced funding - the West Midlands was the only region to receive the full amount of £5 million, awarded in spring 2012, and resulting in a total pot of £10 million.

The Brierley Hill scheme will see:

£3.3 million invested in new buses by operators
£1.9 million new bus and rail interchange at Cradley Heath to provide enhanced links from the rail network to Brierley Hill
£1.2 million in highways improvements on The Boulevard and Pedmore Road
£1 million of shelter and information improvements on eight key routes into Brierley Hill
£700,000 towards the Black Country Swift smartcard scheme in Dudley
£200,000 WorkWise scheme for Dudley

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk