News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Drivers - Bus Reviews & Opinions

Started by 2900, July 13, 2014, 12:38:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

There's a lot of us drivers on the smethwick rota who would rather do a longer duty on the 127/128 than short one on 82/87 that says it all, but the problem is there are vastly more running cards on the Dudley rd than the Portland rd services , some rota lines are pure Dudley rd.
I know one driver who tried every thing he could to get the sack cause he grew to detest the Dudley rd I don't think he tried hard enough ,he ended up going part time.
Even some soho rd drivers refuse to do overtime on Dudley rd because it's not worth it.

BU07 LGO

We have about 40% of our duties as splits but touch wood in the year I've been there the only trouble I've had was a kid put his hand through and try to steal a ticket (but failed!) and people getting a bit verbal when they realise the x51 doesn't stop in Newtown!

4052 plaxton president b7tl Volvo

Up on getting into the cab you are greeted with the huge steering wheel which I hate,visual impression  on its first full refurb looking tired now, to drive the suspension is comfortable typical Volvo all good in this dept, driving along engine revs up to 2000 rpm for no reason when it decides to, otherwise it performed well enough, gearbox IMO requires attention plenty of slamming of gears going on could be low on fluid who knows.
Brakes/retarder nicely balanced too.
If these faults were addressed it would be pretty much spot on from the chassis point view.
Still I,ll give it  a 5/10 over all cause it didn't leave me agony when I left the cab.

Visual impression 5/10
Suspension           8/10
Brakes/retarder.     8/10
Gearbox.               2/10
Engine.                  5/10

MW

Quote from: 2900 on February 17, 2016, 10:55:35 AM
4052 plaxton president b7tl Volvo

Up on getting into the cab you are greeted with the huge steering wheel which I hate,visual impression  on its first full refurb looking tired now, to drive the suspension is comfortable typical Volvo all good in this dept, driving along engine revs up to 2000 rpm for no reason when it decides to, otherwise it performed well enough, gearbox IMO requires attention plenty of slamming of gears going on could be low on fluid who knows.
Brakes/retarder nicely balanced too.
If these faults were addressed it would be pretty much spot on from the chassis point view.
Still I,ll give it  a 5/10 over all cause it didn't leave me agony when I left the cab.

Visual impression 5/10
Suspension           8/10
Brakes/retarder.     8/10
Gearbox.               2/10
Engine.                  5/10

From what I remember, I quite liked 4052, I can't remember it individually though, although it sounds like it drives like 4023 now. 4051 was one that got up to speed quite quickly.

4709 Wrightbus Gemini Volvo B7 TL

I had this the other day it feels as though it's gone under some mechanical refurb absolutely brilliant to drive the suspension so compliant and smooth piss on any enviro model, engine/ gearbox working superbly , retarder brakes excellent feeling through the pedal. It has had new instrument pod fitted, cctv monitors look new as well and they work too. New steering wheel and seat would be nice.
Driving up portway hill doing 22-24 mph quite some going for a b7tl I tell you .
I hope some of others 4700-4717 receive the same treatment they need it they,ve been worked hard on Dudley rd.
I really did enjoy driving this bus on my favourite route Rare bonus
I ,ll rate this 9/10 for the way it drives

Interior very tired still original moquette on seats 10 years on
Exterior average looking, the pop rivet covering strip missing above saloon doors has been since its front rebuild.
3/10 on looks

The other nite while on the Dudley rd services I noticed a rooky driver running 8/9 minutes early I looked on in amazement , only a minute is allowed for disceprency in clocks ,may be his wayfarer was way out, I have had issues with wayfarer clocks being 3/6 minutes slow ,if deliberate I thought  you is gona get dicked by management when they check traffic logs, I thought to my self all of that training that drivers go through now a days is more intense than the garage based training  I received , I mean now when a driver learns a route you are shown the fare stages and timing points and when you have understood it you sign for it.

Liverpool Street

Quote from: 2900 on March 11, 2016, 03:33:30 PM
The other nite while on the Dudley rd services I noticed a rooky driver running 8/9 minutes early I looked on in amazement , only a minute is allowed for disceprency in clocks ,may be his wayfarer was way out, I have had issues with wayfarer clocks being 3/6 minutes slow ,if deliberate I thought  you is gona get dicked by management when they check traffic logs, I thought to my self all of that training that drivers go through now a days is more intense than the garage based training  I received , I mean now when a driver learns a route you are shown the fare stages and timing points and when you have understood it you sign for it.

ha ha ha good lad he reminds me of those late nights back in '97 haha
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

I wasn't going to post this but why the hell not.
Yet another driver assaulted at Oldbury bus interchange, driver comes into Oldbury for relief a prick starts to give grief to the driver,  driver leaves the bus this prick follows the the driver who then shoves him from behind, driver turns round and shoves him back prick loses his balance and hits his head on the pavement, blood everywhere, now we have 3 cop cars and an ambulance , driver is arrested and spends nite at cop shop, fortunately the bus cctv caught the whole episode on film.
That 4 incidents I can recall now , the worst one was when a driver was hit in the eye with a glass hammer he lost his eye and his job the perpetrator never caught either.
You gotta love this job good grief

? Driver how much is a four pound daysaver, err duh , dude they is £6 each wtf

Liberator9

Quote from: 2900 on April 12, 2016, 01:14:58 PM
? Driver how much is a four pound daysaver, err duh , dude they is £6 each wtf

@2900

Classic one there  :D

Awful with those incidents you mentioned in your last post - sounds like bedlam up round there. No better word than scum to sum up those who attack drivers, particularly causing one of them to lose his eye and hence his job. At the rate it's going you're going to need steel armoured cab doors. Either that or have a trained Rottweiler to hand - soon scare 'em off.

BU07 LGO

Well today I had a passenger moaning that I didn't didbt try to squeeze my way through on wrong side of road past a long line of parked cars (without a gap to get back in) whilst there was oncoming cars! I heard her say "for god sakes you could of got through there", I said "yeah and then get stuck and block the road" and she got off tutting lol

Dudley rd services,
The other day I received my 83 15 minutes late at west brom station no bother just carry on take it steady fair few pensioners on man they scare me how fragile some are , made it to city late still around 15-17 mins down fair few got on 82/87s running late I thought got away now I,m at city hospital stop skools out mommies kids every where it took time to load up then I waited for two pensioners that's when the scummy mummy's started the ones that got on earlier, driver hurry up , drive the bus you jobs worth, your holding up every one there are 4  buses behind now, we are late picking up our kids we is gona get fined , I told them to stop harassing me all I,ll park the bus, I was seething inside at the treatment , I explained I can't while we have pensioners on the platform, one scummy mommy saying get out I,ll slap you, you small man you is, bring it on I wouldn't touch with a barge pole, I came very close to parking that bus and walking away from this job. The one pensioner turned to me, son ignore them they are not worth it. After that shower of shite got off , I got thank you from most of other passengers, Bad day at the office some say I handed that bus over 30 minutes late I just wanted to get off in one piece. My 2nd part was a joke as well.

Just to put into context we have had several incidents involving drivers being assaulted over  a period of time From 2002 till now at Oldbury bus interchange.

BU07 LGO

Thats why the pensioner was going mad at me for not forcing my way through a gap saying she had to pick her grandson up from school!

B.C Driver

You're dammed if you do and dammed if you don't!

I had a classic the other day, driving the 45 / 47. Coming out of town I saw an asian man outside a shop  begging someone for money.
Coming back the other way I saw the same man waiting at the bus stop for my bus. He gets on and says "Do you go into town?" Yes I said.
"How long does it take to get into town?" About 25 minutes I replied.
"Where abouts in town do you stop" By the side of Marks and Spencer I said.
I know from experience, asking a lot of questions is a ploy to try to distract you from an out of date ticket / pass.
So now he showed me his daysaver, so it was time to ask HIM a question...
"Why is the date rubbed out?"
"It was like that when I bought it, it's not my fault if it's like that!"
I'm thinking the rest of the ticket is perfect, but just the date is obscured, hmmmm.
I said "Show me again"
This time I clocked the time the ticket was issued - 16:17 and the time at that precise moment was 13:52!
I explained this to him, at the same time a lady shouted down the bus
"GET OFF THE BUS YOU IDIOT. GET OFF THE BUS!!"
He turned round and got off, hanging his head in shame.
4444 -The Star Wars Bus

- May the 4s be with you!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk