News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Drivers - Bus Reviews & Opinions

Started by 2900, July 13, 2014, 12:38:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MW

Was a nice surprise when this turned up instead of originally allocated 4066! Finally got to drive this Hoover after many years waiting! It's insane how loud this one is. Easily the loudest one I've driven, especially when around buildings on narrow roads (like Bearwood High St) probably because the cooling fans are set on to full speed. It's actually not that bad to drive apart from that. At idle, it's very quiet. No noticeable rattles at all when idle. The brakes take a little getting used to, the pedal is very sensitive, like a B10B but not as much. The kickdown function works too, I didn't expect it to. After a bit it did get really annoying though, gave me an earache! Not especially quick but not especially slow. This and 4040 up the Highcroft Hopsital hill were even speed wise.

This is simply a howling rocket. This is really up there as one of my favourites. Quite possibly joint favourite with 4637. It feels so powerful this, even when carrying a full load with standees! Made mince meat of Marsh Hill, and the Bournville Hill. Got to 30 on both no problem! It even sounds fantastic. It's a real screamer. Cooling fans are very minimal on this one.  When cruising it's smooth and quiet. The brakes aren't as juddery as others, and the suspension glides better than others.

Geminis remaining to drive are:

John

Managed to get 2 new OmniLinks today (Was hoping for a Crimson but hey ho), 1937 and 7020. Also had 1874 too

Both very nice, with a good turn of speed when needed. With 7020 (alike 7019), the ramp lowers before the doors open fully which is handy for boarding and alighting (Not with 1937). Brakes were good also (which can take getting used to on a Scania), although I did find 7020 was jolting at low speeds when slowing for a stop

These newer models seem a lot faster than the 18** OmniLinks, both the '57' and '58' plates.

I don't know if it is the air lines in the drivers seat, but they seem softer on bumps and rough road. The Enviro400s take bumps better.

Both not in bad condition inside, but are tired externally, and will looks a million times better after the Crimson treatment

1874 was an average Omnilink, nothing special, but the driver side sun blind was missing, and I couldn't shield the sun when it was out today. A few of the ex-Coventry OmniLinks have had them missing for as long as I can remember, and haven't been replaced. Again like the remaining red/white ex-Coventry buses, tired both inside and out

Liberator9

@John

The newer models probably are a bit faster as they have a larger engine and newer type (EEV Euro 5) than the 57/58 reg Omnilinks. Engine is bassier as well. Funny enough I find the suspension on the late 2009 models better as well - having a mixture of the ex WA Omnilinks and YW 2009/10 Omnilinks on the 6 you do tend to notice minor differences. One random one is the design of the emergency exit door at the rear - a curved frame is fitted on the 57/58 plate ones whilst the later models have a more boxed frame fitting in with the rest of the panelling.

The YW 2009/10 Scanias have pretty good suspension - the only thing that can unsettle them is a sustained stretch of potholes. Highters Heath Road near Maypole was a nightmare for that. Other than that those are some of the best Scanias I've been on - 1917 and 1927 are two particularly good ones. Not so struck on the ex WA ones - gearbox joltier at lower speeds.

They seem to have removed the air seating on some of them which removes that "bobbing" effect! Will be pleased to see more in the Crimson - looks great on the Scanias.

MW

4515 can be crossed of the list.

This is another one I really like. The cab is in very good condition. It's looked clean and fresh. Newish steering wheel, all the dash lights working properly and the buttons. No rattles at all from the bus. Very very minimal cooling fans too. Drives like it's on good condition. Brakes screech a lot, although I won't hold that against it, seeing that everything else makes up. Suspension seems very good, seemed to glide across many roads, unlike a very very bumpy and rattly 4071!

Edit: So can 4666 be crossed of the list. I forgot to add it to the recent list a couple posts above. But yeah, finally got the '666' bus! 

John

2 more Ex-Pensnett Enviro400s crossed off the list today, 4814 and 4827. I do love having these buses

I do find these are not like our Sutton Enviro400s over potholes and bad road surfaces, they seem to rattle a lot more and don't seem as solid. Maybe it comes with age

4814 was a great bus, an immense burst of power when I needed it, 0-30 in about 4 seconds and easily reached 30mph up Hamstead hill but it did change gear a few times, not bad for a bus and the brakes were spot on. Upper deck badly etched and the bodywork tired as its still original from 2009, but can not fault its drive, a shame I only had tihs one for my shorter portion of my duty

4827 seemed very tired, the brakes were hard to get just right, I found myself jolting them just before coming to a stop trying to get the braking smooth. Seemed to lack the power of most of the others I driven (topped out at 25mph up Hamstead hill but it remained in one gear, still better than a B7 struggling at 15mph up there, the B7s keep changing up and down gear), still a bit better than the newer Enviro400s.The interior and exterior were in better nick though due to its refurb/repaint, but really rough steering wheel

Ronnoc

Just a question for @MW @John and @2900. Do you, as drivers, usually give your buses some good kickdown? Apologies if this is a stupid question.

Tony

Quote from: ronnoc1k8 on September 29, 2015, 09:56:12 PM
Just a question for @MW @John and @2900. Do you, as drivers, usually give your buses some good kickdown? Apologies if this is a stupid question.

Yes it is a very stupid question, as I have explained before 'kickdown' is just asking the bus to change to a lower gear earlier than it would normally, you can't do it whenever you feel like it. It will do it only slightly earlier anyway. There is no such thing as a 'good kickdown' and I have heard people think I am using it when the bus is just naturally changing gear anyway because it is so close to the natural change anyway it is difficult for a passenger to tell

John

Quote from: ronnoc1k8 on September 29, 2015, 09:56:12 PM

When you need to use it, yes I use it. It's not very good on the Sutton Enviro400s because of the gearbox setup, and on the ex-Pensnet buses, it can be quite ferocious and give you really good acceleration

MW

I always do it. I love doing it! 46** and certain 45** require you to push the pedal down a little harder, it clicks and knocks down. 4525/26/4511 off the top of my head don't have that function unfortunately. The Scanias also have it I believe. The MMCs don't have it.

Using the kick down on the mercs used to be great back in the day they sounded awesome and delivery of power just excellent, then they were deactivated not so good.
Leyland lynx were great for this to with its zf gearbox loved that whine sound it used to make.
Majority of the b7tl,s don't have this feature.
Mk 1 enviro 400 the kick down delivers real surge in power fine for up hill requirements but otherwise not needed, my 2 enviro 400 don't have it.

MW

Quote from: 2900 on September 30, 2015, 11:29:50 AM
Using the kick down on the mercs used to be great back in the day they sounded awesome and delivery of power just excellent, then they were deactivated not so good.
Leyland lynx were great for this to with its zf gearbox loved that whine sound it used to make.
Majority of the b7tl,s don't have this feature.
Mk 1 enviro 400 the kick down delivers real surge in power fine for up hill requirements but otherwise not needed, my 2 enviro 400 don't have it.

I don't know why certain 45xx don't gave it. 4511/20/21/22/25/26 definately don't have it whilst others like 4507/9/10/12-15/17-19/23/24 do. All the 46xx have it.

Ronnoc

Quote from: Tony on September 29, 2015, 10:11:30 PM
Yes it is a very stupid question, as I have explained before 'kickdown' is just asking the bus to change to a lower gear earlier than it would normally, you can't do it whenever you feel like it. It will do it only slightly earlier anyway. There is no such thing as a 'good kickdown' and I have heard people think I am using it when the bus is just naturally changing gear anyway because it is so close to the natural change anyway it is difficult for a passenger to tell
I was quite expecting that response from you lol.

Tony

Quote from: ronnoc1k8 on September 30, 2015, 03:36:47 PM
I was quite expecting that response from you lol.

What an accurate one? In the good old days when drivers could control the gears then there was actually a chance to 'drive' a bus. Even on B6s if you wanted to you could use the button to hold the revs properly to get extra power up hills. With just a 'drive' button and the chance to do a very short hold on the gears by having the pedal on the floor it makes very little difference in reality.

Only modern vehicles in the fleet you still can have full control of the gears is the Levantes

BU07 LGO

4734 is my favourite to drive, that bus can move! It flies through the gears!

4735 however seems to have been modified and will not kick down or rev as freely!

4965 ADL MK2 ENVIRO 400

I wasn't best pleased when this pulled into oldbury for relief ,after making myself at home I got under way I soon realised how quiet this bus is the body on this very solid indeed absolute minimum rattling most would argue that wouldn't count as rattling,  Suspension good to, Portland rd will shake your fillings out this bus past with flying colours , retarder decent to, brakes required effort to stop without a jolt , gearbox not very clever jolting the bus about , engine excellent no issues on slight inclines or hills it's does shift I got 25 mph going up tame rd bloody good that is, I did notice by playing with accelerator pedal rather than  just mashing it to the floor you can make good progress . I do hope there more like this in the fleet.  coming down hill got the engine screaming at 2400 rpm the only way that will happen, normal driving max 1600 rpm before gear changes.

Bodywork 9/10
Engine 8/10
Gearbox 3/10
Retarder 7/10
Brakes 5/10

After driving this bus for 5 hrs I got on 821 for home oh my god the contrast is quite simply unbelievable shaken and stirred all the way home , for laugh I might mark this one up for PVS

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk