News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Drivers - Bus Reviews & Opinions

Started by 2900, July 13, 2014, 12:38:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

Quote from: 2900 on August 11, 2015, 10:02:00 AM
? While passing a enviro 400mmc 6732 on lower bull street yesterday afternoon I noticed a microphone attached to the front windscreen post like they would do when fitted to coaches is this a new mounting point on platinum vehicles , few minutes later  I passed one of the farms mmc it didn't have a mic mounted on the post.

That is a seperate microphone for the driver to do on bus announcements

MW

Quote from: 2900 on August 11, 2015, 10:10:39 AM
Lot of gems have been coming my way lately , I will say from a drivers point of view 4700, 4701,4703,4709 are decent drives  in most aspects , they don't have the power of the mk 1  enviros
Shame really, 4749 excellent all rounder nearly as fast as 4745.

I really appreciate the Gems especially when I've had a shed load of Plaxtons recently! 4042/52/70/78 & 4100 from the top of my head. 4070 probably the quickest one out of those, I think if they had the smaller steering wheel from the Geminis (like one of them (poss. 4042?)) has, they'd be better to drive!

Edit: 4062 is the one with a Gemini steering wheel.

GeminiFan1991

Quote from: MW on August 12, 2015, 10:54:59 PM
I really appreciate the Gems especially when I've had a shed load of Plaxtons recently! 4042/52/70/78 & 4100 from the top of my head. 4070 probably the quickest one out of those, I think if they had the smaller steering wheel from the Geminis (like one of them (poss. 4042?)) has, they'd be better to drive!

Edit: 4062 is the one with a Gemini steering wheel.

Heres me thinking they both had the same steering wheel ! Does the B7TL ALX400 have the same size steering wheel as the Gemini or Plaxton ?!
Please check out my Bus Photos @

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128406405@N06/

MW

Quote from: GeminiFan1991 on August 12, 2015, 11:55:57 PM
Heres me thinking they both had the same steering wheel ! Does the B7TL ALX400 have the same size steering wheel as the Gemini or Plaxton ?!

You'll have to speak to a WB driver for that comparison as I have no idea.

Liverpool Street

Quote from: GeminiFan1991 on August 12, 2015, 11:55:57 PM

Slightly different design.
Smaller, more 'smooth' in design.
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

From recollection, from new the Alexander alx400 b7tl,s at hockley all had the small steering wheels, the plaxtons that were new 4072/4082 I can't recall, I think that batch is at AG now or what's left of it , the 4700 gems new to west brom had small steering wheels and all still do, there is one alx 400 b7tl at west brom with a large steering may be transferred now seriously annoying to use, the plaxtons at west brom have mix of both types of wheels, IMO plaxtons should not be fitted with larger wheel as space is a premium in the cab. With modern power steering systems we no longer need wheels that are more at home on a sailing ship.

Quote from: 2900 on August 13, 2015, 11:24:23 AM
From recollection, from new the Alexander alx400 b7tl,s at hockley all had the small steering wheels, the plaxtons that were new 4072/4082 I can't recall, I think that batch is at AG now or what's left of it , the 4700 gems new to west brom had small steering wheels and all still do, there is one alx 400 b7tl at west brom with a large steering may be transferred now seriously annoying to use, the plaxtons at west brom have mix of both types of wheels, IMO plaxtons should not be fitted with larger wheel as space is a premium in the cab. With modern power steering systems we no longer need wheels that are more at home on a sailing ship.
Some are at AG 4072 - 4082 batch  4077, 4078,, 4080, 4081, 4082 and the others are now in reserve from the 4074 - 4082 batch. 4074 is in Dundee
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

4717 I can't help thinking of late this bus feels better to drive it's seems defiantly more faster than others in the batch , I wander if it's had work done it , few months back it was becoming unreliable breaking down quite often. Coolers work when needed to as well all good, the interior of this bus is disgusting to say the least, sticky floors,built up grime nasty.

From a drivers point of view 7.5/10
Passengers point of view a big phatt zero

MW

Quote from: 2900 on August 13, 2015, 11:24:23 AM

Do the 4700s have the newer Volvo steering wheel (like the 1700 Eclipse batch)

I've always thought they have, while the older Geminis have the older design small steering wheel.

From what I,ve seen while at Dudley bus station the cab layout of the 1700 b7rle,s are identical to the 4700 b7tl,s

BU07 LGO

Quote from: 2900 on August 13, 2015, 02:38:08 PM
From what I,ve seen while at Dudley bus station the cab layout of the 1700 b7rle,s are identical to the 4700 b7tl,s

I hate the indicator noise on the b7rles (56 reg)

Driven recently 4229/ 4265/4275 excellent Volvo b7TL voith gearbox chassis, excellent buses to drive very smooth , excellent suspension,brakes,retarder, gearbox, mechanically top draw I say. 8/10

4231 would be as good as the above buses but has gearbox issues jolts when taking up drive to compensate you apply some revs feel the cog engage then release handbrake , all very annoying trying to keep get ways smooth. 5/10

MW

Wow, this is without a doubt the best single decker I've driven. I didn't like the Scanias before, when a passenger, and initially I didn't like them to drive as the brakes were quite odd. As I've said before, I've definitely warmed to the Scanias, at the wrong time admittedly. After driving the MMCs since they've entered service on the 37, the Scanias are miles better. Before I didn't like the seating postion in the Scanias but I've definately gotten used to it and now like it. The MMCs is too high, and the actual seat isn't very comfortable, particularly in the heat. The pull on 1944 was excellent, the brakes were excellent, the gearbox was excellent, with its working kickdown that is actually quite quick in kicking down! I was desperately looking for a fault, until I came to a bus stop! The doors take absolutely forever to open and close. After not driving one in a while I forgot how slow the doors are! And then when I was having my layover at the Station, seeing a Signature vehicle driving away from a stop with the doors still closing, I thought how lucky those Rotala drivers are in terms of the interlock we have! This will really make me miss the Scanias. It's probably my last drive on one, unless I get one on the 31 on Sunday. Even talking to some drivers, 1944 is known to be one of the better ones at AG. This is my favourite single decker at AG, and no doubt the garage it'll go to, the drivers will love it!

Wow this is a good one. Very smooth. Had it on the 11C. 4639 arrived with 4513 following behind. (Both running late).  I wasn't hanging around with 4639 to get even more late (the slowest Gemini by far, no power when moving off!) 4513, very quick as soon as I accelerated away! The brakes and retarder had so much feel in it. Gear changes were pretty smooth too. By Hall Green Church, I was in front of 4639 up until Kings Heath, where he went in front and picked up until Selly Oak. Personally I find it frustrating stuck behind another bus, some drivers prefer it as it means less stopping, but I find it boring. Coming to Selly Oak, I took the second lane at the Bristol Road/11C lights. That would have made a good picture! Lights went green and I didn't see 4639 again till Acocks Green.   Anyway, 4513. The sound this thing makes, it bloody screams! Cooling fans came on when needed, although by the time I got to City Road, they were pretty much constant all the way back to AG. One thing that's really starting to bug me on the Geminis is the nearside mirror arm being too short and therefore restricting the view, although this one was bang on. 4638 I think is one where it's too short.

Briefly this one was jerking a lot annoyingly. Once the cooling fans came on, they were on for the next 3 hours, which got annoying. Main issue with this one if the gear changes. Not smooth. And the braking, the downshifts are pretty jerky too.

4506 wrightbus Gemini B7TL Volvo

This bus has gone down hill recently cooling fans on constantly, not very good at picking up speed, driving through Brums financial district with these all its tall building was fun , winding up the  old 7 litre pig iron to hear how loud I could make the fans go while driving past the movers and shakers in there designer clobber/beards  sipping there posh wine or some exotic larger from Europe , yes one is not amused with the dyson blasting by.

4710 wrightbus gemni B7TL Volvo

Not very good this particular example lots of vibrations when idling , rumbling from the front axle, ride quality not upto volvos usual high standards,  very soft squishy front end, driver seat not very comfortable either, interior not very pleasant at all , some toe rag decided to urinate upstairs most of it went into a maccys cup and the rest on the floor simply no need, all he had to do is ask to stop the bus for a leak.  These early repainted gems crying out for refurbs.
Engine/ gearbox worked as they should , not particularly punchy takes a while to get to 40mph
IMO the whole bus feels tired and well used Dudley road has killed this one.
3/10

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk