News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Drivers - Bus Reviews & Opinions

Started by 2900, July 13, 2014, 12:38:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MW

I was going to write how I've got an excellent 4512, but it's just broken down... Lol

Liberator9

@MW

Oh dear! 4512 was going too well obviously - by the way - how are you finding the Enviro 200 MMCs? Saw you found 2217 impressive the other day - must say I like them from a passenger's perspective.

MW

Quote from: Liberator9 on July 25, 2015, 06:58:49 PM
@MW

Oh dear! 4512 was going too well obviously - by the way - how are you finding the Enviro 200 MMCs? Saw you found 2217 impressive the other day - must say I like them from a passenger's perspective.

After leaving it parked for half an hour whilst waiting for engineers, I tried starting 4512 again, and it fired up. Wasn't starting before due to a bad battery I presume. Isolated everything and waited. Reason it went is I switched off the bus for 10 mins whilst in service, and the saloon lights killed the battery.

The MMCs, I'm really liking them. It's just the turning is quite terrible. They are pretty quicker however. Especially from stand still to 15mph. I'm confident in saying as quick as some cars!

Liberator9

Glad you got it back then - when the bus is isolated is that just short for the electrics switch being switched off?

Yeah they are fast - thinking the same today - out did a few cars today off the mark! Good thing is that they have good kickdown thanks to the Voith - shame the double decks aren't voith. At least the turning isn't too much of an issue on the 37 aside from Olton station, although 2205/2218 managed it fine.

MW

4523 & 4062 today.

Found out something new today. They switch off the taps for the bus heaters in the summer months, every year. Due to passenger complaints on hot buses when ever we get that one day of warm weather each year!

Took out 4523 from the garage early this morning and it was bloody freezing. I was literally shivering in the cab. After my first lap the engineers came out and turned on the heating for me, and then it became the most comfortable to drive again! I think 4512 has taken 4523's position as my favourite 45** however. Simply because 4523 has a bigger steering wheel (same as the Plaxton type).

Oddly however, I had 4062 later on today, and it had a smaller (Gemini) steering wheel, and it makes a big difference! It just feels easier to drive and manoeveur. 4062 is among my favourite Plaxtons aswell, so all in all, I had some decent buses today.

Ronnoc

Quote from: MW on July 29, 2015, 10:04:39 PM
4523 & 4062 today.

Found out something new today. They switch off the taps for the bus heaters in the summer months, every year. Due to passenger complaints on hot buses when ever we get that one day of warm weather each year!

Took out 4523 from the garage early this morning and it was bloody freezing. I was literally shivering in the cab. After my first lap the engineers came out and turned on the heating for me, and then it became the most comfortable to drive again! I think 4512 has taken 4523's position as my favourite 45** however. Simply because 4523 has a bigger steering wheel (same as the Plaxton type).

Oddly however, I had 4062 later on today, and it had a smaller (Gemini) steering wheel, and it makes a big difference! It just feels easier to drive and manoeveur. 4062 is among my favourite Plaxtons aswell, so all in all, I had some decent buses today.
4062 is also one of my fav plaxtons too, sounds awesome, when the coolers were on I loved the bus even more.

The heating and cooling systems fitted to the ADL ENVIRO400 mk1 probably the best I,ve come across any bus I,ve ever driven , the cool air setting is truely excellent at keeping my feet and legs cool on warm,hot days.

While on moor St yesterday I got a chance to see a crimson Scania up close very nice indeed, the livery IMO has the appearance of making the omnilink smaller to me any way.
The platinum livery would look excellent on these scanias with all that black/glass.

MW

Three Plaxtons I had today, one being 4023. 4023 is bloody quick. Quicker than 4062 it seems! Was quicker than one of the 46** Geminis! It is now without a doubt the best Plaxton I've driven. It revs really high aswell and when you push the pedal hard down, it drops gear (no click) like a automatic car. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The other two Plaxtons I had today were also bang on for what they are.

I'm getting to drive all of these decent ones now weirdly. Before it was all the terrible ones. I've seen a few of the bangers in garage, they look like they are just dumped there. I reckon 4082 is one that is due out since its been in the same spot, and in the corner of the garage for a few days. 4023 is allegedly part of the next lot due out of AG too, so that's unfortunate!

John

Having a day off the Sutton's today and doing a Pheaaey duty today for day off work. Was hoping for a Crimson OmniLink on either the 66 or 952. Or failing that , a recent transfer 702* from Acocks Green.

1876 which I had this morning not one of the best. One door took longer than the other to open and the door took forever to open. Which meant that he platform would take an age before it would lower. The acceleration was also slow for a Scania. Bodywork and interior very tired, hopefully will get treated to Crimson soon. These ex-Coventry OmniLinks seem the most tired out of all of the others Perry Barr have had. The 183* batch we had did not seem this bad.

7025, on the otherhand, which I'm on at the moment is the complete opposite. Very quick acceleration, this is one where the ramp will lower before the doors are completly open, and that makes a good difference. I'm going along now at 40mph (with a buddy driver at the wheel!) and no rattles at all, very unusual for an OmniLink. Granted, again both the interior and bodywork are tired and does need a refurb, but a lot better than the unrefurbisbed ex-Coventry examples. This has overtook 1837 as my favourite (plus as we no longer have 1837). Thanks Acocks Green for sending us this one.

BU07 LGO

I had 4533 today, only my 4th gemini ive drove (usually get 4534!) on the 997/X51 and it was probably one of my favourite buses ive driven. Engine was quite whiney and smooth and steering really light and easy to manoeuvre. Was also quick for a b7tl and easily hit 40 up hill on walsall road!

The fans only came on when needed and soon went off again!

The downstairs interior seems to have been retrimmed in the original moquette the geminis had from new! Upstairs let it down as virtually every windiw was badly etched

8/10

MW

Quote from: BU07 LGO on August 01, 2015, 06:10:35 PM
I had 4533 today, only my 4th gemini ive drove (usually get 4534!) on the 997/X51 and it was probably one of my favourite buses ive driven. Engine was quite whiney and smooth and steering really light and easy to manoeuvre. Was also quick for a b7tl and easily hit 40 up hill on walsall road!

The fans only came on when needed and soon went off again!

Sounds like 4653 & 4654 (what I had today!)

You've probably not driven a President but the transition of having a Gemini for a first portion and a President for second is almost suicidal!

John

Quote from: MW on August 01, 2015, 07:10:13 PM

You've probably not driven a President but the transition of having a Gemini for a first portion and a President for second is almost suicidal!

The Presidents sound similar to the 42** B7 ALX400s. Very leisurely in pulling away!

Trident 4194

I would probably want to drive a Volvo b7tl ( Alx 400, president and Gemini) the most. Unfortunately I want to be a bus driver as my retirement job, where the buses will probably drive themselves!

BU07 LGO

Quote from: MW on August 01, 2015, 07:10:13 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if AG got the remaining WA geminis in due course

MW

Quote from: Trident 4194 on August 01, 2015, 07:31:44 PM
I would probably want to drive a Volvo b7tl ( Alx 400, president and Gemini) the most. Unfortunately I want to be a bus driver as my retirement job, where the buses will probably drive themselves!

Nah do it when you can, I'm only doing it for a year, and then making a decision on whether to leave or not.

It's definately worry taking a year out if your planning on going on to uni and working in an office somewhere.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk